Stain Removal - What Does this Sentence Mean?

dday

I was looking at an old carpet cleaning manual that was written by Jeff Cutshall, copyright by Bill Yeadon, and published by Jon Don for use in a commercial carpet cleaning class. In the section on oxidizers, I found this sentence, and I do not know what it means:

"A color (of a stain) made invisible by oxidizers (such as hydrogen peroxide) is permanent."

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

David

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Yes as stated above an oxidizer is a permanent change while a reducer may not. Were you having trouble sleeping last night and that's why you were reading the manual?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
He is saying that permanent stains like wine can be made invisible by using an oxidizer.

dday

billyeadon said:
Yes as stated above an oxidizer is a permanent change while a reducer may not. Were you having trouble sleeping last night and that's why you were reading the manual?

Actually my daughter is doing a science project oxidizing stains, and I just thought I'd take a quick look to see if you and Jeff had any interesting facts or trivia to add.

As you imply, there was nothing interesting to be found ... lol

Thanks for your input Bill ... and everyone else as well.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Maybe it's just a filler sentence and it's worded to cover the authors ass so it don't matter if the stain does or doesn't come out.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Oxidizers and reducers both are types of bleach.

They don't remove the stain.

They simply make the spot colorless to the human eye by changing the way the spot absorbs or reflects light.

The spot is still there if you CSI the spot.

Some think that using a reducer (Red remover) is a heat transfer and the spot goes into the towel.

Not really. The damp towel is only used to keep from melting the carpet fibers.

When using a reducer with a steamer no towel is needed.

The red spot is removed from the chemical reaction.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Oxidizers can cause the stain to break up into smaller particles (molecules) that have no color.

These compounds can often then be rinsed off the fibers.

Larry

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Royal Man said:
Oxidizers and reducers both are types of bleach.

They don't remove the stain.

They simply make the spot colorless to the human eye by changing the way the spot absorbs or reflects light.

The spot is still there if you CSI the spot.

Some think that using a reducer (Red remover) is a heat transfer and the spot goes into the towel.

Not really. The damp towel is only used to keep from melting the carpet fibers.

When using a reducer with a steamer no towel is needed.

The red spot is removed from the chemical reaction.

That's not true Dave. Many many times over I have seen the stain color transfer right onto the towel as I was using it with the iron! I know you like to talk about your black and decker steamer or whatever but you are wrong about the towel and stain issue. I feel like you are always stuck on the little steamer and google reviews. I mean, how many times will you tell the same thing?? Are you selling the steamers by chance and that's why you keep talking about them???? :lol: :lol:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Sorry, but Dave is right on with the little steamer, that thing kicks butt on red stains and melts gum and wax for easy removal. I wouldnt even be seen with an iron now.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
rhino1 said:
Sorry, but Dave is right on with the little steamer, that thing kicks butt on red stains and melts gum and wax for easy removal. I wouldnt even be seen with an iron now.

I didn't word it right.... I'm not saying that the lil steamers suck- we have 3 or 4 around and have used them forever! What I was trying to say that the towel is in fact picking up stain color quite often.

And I just happened to get on Dave's case about his favorit thing to talk about...steamers.

I gues we all have something we keep talking about

Yoakum:google reviews and lil steamers
Lippold: 24flooooow baby!!
Werner:vacuuming like mad
Marty:idgas
Toburen:sfs (finds a way to twist almost all the comments to go that way)
Larry:your steam will never be as hot by the time it hits the carpet....oh I just made new grips for an UZI, out of an old telepgraph pole that fell over when the wind hit it..
Brian:shake your phonelines and your electricity bill will go down..or was it your weight that goes down if you shake...or drink his shake and you make more money...I can't follow..
Ken:butler kicks ass we buy 5 or 6 every other month and we just did 8265 rugs last week...and government supported trips to vegas...
Oh and our favorite: ben surdi:I'm buying brand new big trucks... We developed a special process...

We could go down the list :lol: :lol:

No offense to anyone by the way, I just think its funny how predictable we all become with what we are going to say.. :lol:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I do get what you said about the towel transfer. Quite often a red or blue stain lightens with the steamer and it vanishes when you rinse with the wand, so you must be actually removing the offending dye, not just making it invisible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom