staying afloat

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had to go to work part time at UPS for a couple of years when I started. You got to do what you got to do. Find a night job, realize how bad it sucks to work for someone else, and hit it hard during the day until you can dump the night job.
If this is what you want, then go after it.

steve_64

Oh gawd...do you not think we KNOW the solution tank has a vent in the cap? You know why? To let in AIR as the pump uses up the tepid water in the tank. It is NOT pressurized, not even a LITTLE bit. Without the vent hole the pump is too weak to draw water from it.

Bane's standard wands and hoses are typical of those used with portable machines, not up to truckmount caliber at all. You are correct that they don't stand up well.

lee, ive had two gages on my machine that read 220 at the tank after leaving it plugged in overnight. maybe its the chems in the water? i know why the vent hole is there but pressure does build or it wouldnt shoot steamacross the roof of my van in the morning.that hole is only about .020 of an inch. it was blowing so hard it was whistling.reminded me of a pressure cooker. freaked me out.soaked everything in the van lol. i did it twice trying to set the temp when i got it. i set it at 180 now. and my wand gets so hot i can barely hold onto it when i do that. i only do it for restaurants.

and yes the hoses and valves are not the highest quality but they get the job done.

i couldnt have accomplished what i did had i got a high priced gas fueled machine. i couldnt clean apartments like i do probably neither. yes one day i would like to have something bigger and nicer for residential but seriouslly i am happy right now with what i am doing. i can take my time and be very thorough on residential jobs aand not worry about how much fuel im burning. i can park inside garages in the winter which i do often enough, and that makes winter cleaning easier. some guys here shut down for the winter but i cant do that.

there are pros and cons to both. plus the reliability part too. its a simple inexpensive machine to operate and maintain. ive had it parked outside in below zero temps for two winters now with minor issues. i couldnt do that with a big machine.

maybe im just lucky but i have managed things this far.

Name
Lee Stockwell
and my bane makes me more profitable than your prochem. so there! :clap: we need a icon with a tongue sticking wayyy out.
As one of many multi-bane owners here I find that funny in a sad sort of way. Ease away from their koolaid and find the facts please. I was a groupie there once too and have heard that line preached for a long time. It just ISN'T so at all.

steve_64

I had to go to work part time at UPS for a couple of years when I started. You got to do what you got to do. Find a night job, realize how bad it sucks to work for someone else, and hit it hard during the day until you can dump the night job.
If this is what you want, then go after it.

ive worked for other people all my life, i know it sucks lol but maybe i forgot how much. im hoping i will see it differently now. with what ive been learning through the crap ive dealt with im better equiped toget someone trained tohelp run the show during the day. my guy was a driver for pepsi for years and is very good with sales and customers. hes a 6'4" 280 lb black guy lol. i was worried at first but everyone loves him and he is bringing in work i would never had got already. sometimes things just fall into place. i just cant let him go alone to certain customers. already had one lady look at him and say she is packing. i knew she was prejudiced already. she loves me though so it was all good.

when or if i get my license back i will reevaluate the situation. hell i may not even get the job lol. already starting to think i may have rushed things but i will follow through with it. i inquired for a reason. winters suck, thats reason enough.

steve_64

As one of many multi-bane owners here I find that funny in a sad sort of way. Ease away from their koolaid and find the facts please. I was a groupie there once too and have heard that line preached for a long time. It just ISN'T so at all.

well i know my numbers lee and yes i may have spoke from hype,i dont know what everyone else is doing. i still feel i couldnt have done this had i bought a big machine to start out. like i said i do want to get something bigger one day and i may even get away from bane altogether one day, i cant say at this time. its served me well though.

Able 1

Name
Keith
well i know my numbers lee and yes i may have spoke from hype,i dont know what everyone else is doing. i still feel i couldnt have done this had i bought a big machine to start out. like i said i do want to get something bigger one day and i may even get away from bane altogether one day, i cant say at this time. its served me well though.

For me it's 7 year in the business I have 2 Prochems in a 2005 and 2006 van all paid for... Still wouldn't say anything negitive to a customer. I've been through ALOT myself, but there is NO reason my custy's need to hear about it.. If you want to relate to you custy's relate with the good things in your life!

I will never buy anything other then Prochem(maybe a Judson)! In the seven years I've been at it I have only missed or had to reschedule maybe 5 jobs.

steve_64

For me it's 7 year in the business I have 2 Prochems in a 2005 and 2006 van all paid for... Still wouldn't say anything negitive to a customer. I've been through ALOT myself, but there is NO reason my custy's need to hear about it.. If you want to relate to you custy's relate with the good things in your life!

I will never buy anything other then Prochem(maybe a Judson)! In the seven years I've been at it I have only missed or had to reschedule maybe 5 jobs.

i know what youre saying and i usually do that. but from time to time things come up with customers i see pretty regularly. many treat me like family or better than thier family lol.i see these people outside of business very often too. its a small town and everyone knows everyone and they talk. so when im asked about some things i have to swallow my pride and tell the truth. otherwise they might feel im lying and not trust me. like i said, sometimes i think they already know and are testing my honesty.

im not disagreeing with you guys. i wish i could live in obscurity but with this business so many people know me so ifind it best to be honest but positive at the same time. yes maam i made a mistake but i have corrected that. sorry to hear about your son maam but im sure he is doing the best he can.hek some have point blank told me what they have heard, looking me in the eye when i answer lol.i know ive screwed up. i really dont thinkthis has hurt my business as much as just losing some motivation because i cant just go out and do cold calling like i use to without paying a driver. although we have been talking about working something out too. im working on all this stuff.

five years from now none of this will be an issue. just have to work through it.

Name
I'm Rick James
honestly, you guys do the same thing. lol there is always something bigger and better.

Yeah but come on.. a Bane vs a Prochem?? I own a prochem and that thing is a beast when cleaning. If you couldn't of "made it" if you had the fuel charges, then that means you didnt charge enough for your services. I wouldn't want to clean carpet with a Bane either..

steve_64

Yeah but come on.. a Bane vs a Prochem?? I own a prochem and that thing is a beast when cleaning. If you couldn't of "made it" if you had the fuel charges, then that means you didnt charge enough for your services. I wouldn't want to clean carpet with a Bane either..

hey at least i didnt buy a little porty or just a buffer and bonnets. i feel i started somewhere in the middle and i can always grow from here.thinking back i remember thinkingthat if i made it 5 years i should be more knowledgable and be ready to buy something new. well due to my failures im not ready for that but ido know a lot more and will position myself now for that day.

i find it funny how many say they started with a bane but then put them down now after they built thier business on thier backs. i know it has limitations ive found a few but it is working for me right now. the market that i stumbled into is perfect for this. i have no regrets.

i may not charge enough in others opinions but i do make over $100hr average. buti had to refine my system to accomplish that. i didnt start out that way. my set ups use to take forever the way bane had it set up. i ditched the hose reels after a couple years and things like that. and honestly ive seen at least 5 or 6 start ups come and go around here since ive been in business. there are two other banes at least who have been around over 10to 15 years within 50miles of me while the big trucks come and go.

im getting tired but this arguement is old.

FredC

Village Idiot
hey at least i didnt buy a little porty or just a buffer and bonnets.
.......................................................................................................................................................................
i find it funny how many say they started with a bane but then put them down now after they built thier business on thier backs.

Those same people would have done the same with "a little porty or just a buffer and bonnets"..............

doesn't mean they can't realize that may not have been the best way........just means that was the way they did it....whether out of necessity (cost) or marketing hype they bought into

I am a bit curious...what do you see wrong with a porty?

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I read your posts and it reminds me of myself 1-2 years ago, justifying my decisions because of this and that. The ultimate reason/excuse was actually because of fear of failure. I can still see Larry's(meAts) words that basically told me to man up, he was right, and Fred's kicked me in the balls in that department as well. Both I respect, and you can always get sound advice from them, even if they bust your balls along the way. It does have a way to motivate you after you get over being butt hurt about it.

When you can put 'the fear' behind you, and allow yourself to embrace it you'll have more success. That goes in business, and personal relationships it works for both. We've all been kicked hard in the nuts one way or another, you can either learn from and move on, or you can dwell into it. There's a saying that goes something like 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing wrong over and over and expecting a different outcome'. Take a step back to look at why you've failed, learn from it, take advice from those who are successful with an open mind. The people here who are making it aren't doing it because of luck. Read more, take notes, talk less, but ask questions.

Reactions: FB7777

steve_64

Those same people would have done the same with "a little porty or just a buffer and bonnets"..............

doesn't mean they can't realize that may not have been the best way........just means that was the way they did it....whether out of necessity (cost) or marketing hype they bought into

I am a bit curious...what do you see wrong with a porty?

i was getting tired last night and i know guys can do just as well with a porty or bonnets. in fact i do a lot of bonnet cleaning. with a porty my point was using thier water and dumping in thier home at least thats what i was ithinking. im just waking up now so im still a little froggy. but as you say it may not be the best just as with my bane but ive made it work. and your right those other guys may not have made regardless of what they used.

I read your posts and it reminds me of myself 1-2 years ago, justifying my decisions because of this and that. The ultimate reason/excuse was actually because of fear of failure. I can still see Larry's(meAts) words that basically told me to man up, he was right, and Fred's kicked me in the balls in that department as well. Both I respect, and you can always get sound advice from them, even if they bust your balls along the way. It does have a way to motivate you after you get over being butt hurt about it.

When you can put 'the fear' behind you, and allow yourself to embrace it you'll have more success. That goes in business, and personal relationships it works for both. We've all been kicked hard in the nuts one way or another, you can either learn from and move on, or you can dwell into it. There's a saying that goes something like 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing wrong over and over and expecting a different outcome'. Take a step back to look at why you've failed, learn from it, take advice from those who are successful with an open mind. The people here who are making it aren't doing it because of luck. Read more, take notes, talk less, but ask questions.

that definition isnt insanity just foolish thinking and a waste of time. but i jave been getting good results and am happy with how things have progressed. but i hear what you are saying. i do talk a lot on here but i have got the dialogue going this way. i do go back and reread stuff with a fresh mind and realize my errors or some of them at least. when any of us get our minds going in one direction its hard tochange that without a fresh look andthats what i try and do, every day is a new day.

and im coming up on six years and i say im lucky and i am but i put a lot of hard work and effort and planning into this. a lot of things changed on me over the course so ihad to be flexible but i never gave up and am not now. just trying to cover my ass for another change that i wasnt quite prepared for. ive spent several winters barely going outside for 3 or 4 days at a time,sitting in a basement 1 bedroom apartment going out ofmy mind, i know whats coming and i just want this winter to be different and taking a job will force me out ona daily basis, i will be around other people daily. it will be good for me in many ways. i havent failed in business, my marriage yes after 20 years but i feel ive been pretty successful business wise. im just regrouping in a sense once again.

and i know once i get in this house things will be way different once again. i will set up my shop again, all my tools and work benches have been in storage for over 2 years.ive been doing this out of an apartment for 4 years. its been hard. and yes i like all of the people here,ive met quite a few some time ago when i was just getting started and before my divorce. i was such a mess looking back. i think some are misunderstanding my posts here but i misunderstand others too.

thanks for sharing hoody and everyone else who has posted here. i do read it and it does sink in, even if i am a stubborn ass.

now wheres my coffee i need to getting ready for golfing.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Good luck regrouping. I do other things to help fill the gaps as well. Hopefully you can still put a little money aside from your extra endeavors. I know one thing that is going to help me this winter is during the summer I put credits on utilities during the summer(good times) for the winter, its just less I have to worry about.

steve_64

thanks again steve, and yes ive been doing that paying extra on utilities and phone bills and the child support which i will be getting rid of soon. i had started drinking and going out to pass the time, fell back into old habits after the divorce. huge mistake!

one other thing i hadnt mentioned i dont think was i started having a lot of issues with my phone provider. when att switched to 4g i started not getting a good signal here anymore. i had a carpet cleaning friend telling me people were calling him because they couldnt reach me and a few friends kept saying the same thing. i went around and around with att. where im moving the signal is strong at least while ive been there. i know that has cost me a lot of business the last couple years. again its my own fault for not having a landline too. i tried to keep my costs down but it eventually bit me in the ass. but i will recover from all this.

still waiting on these guys to go golfing. not driving sucks!!! lol

and to help with the winter i started playing the viola again and things like that to help pass the time.doing more positive stuff now. i had dropped the internet for a couple years and i have rabbit ears for my high def tv. lol i do have a pretty good grip on things i think or at least im working on it. time will tell and hey im still around now.

i was at radio shack last week helping my brother with something and now im cleaning for them. everywhere i go im selling i just dont get out as much now due to my stupidity lol. i can be a dolt sometimes but its not as often as it use to be thank goodness. i know im bouncing around, im multi tasking here.

ok finally got the call time to go.

F

FB7777

Don't let Radio Shack receivables go to far out... That company is on the brink of at best a buy out( tho I can't imagine a suitor dumb enough to buy them) or at worst bankruptcy.

As for my blunt style here... Lets Talk Business Room is my house,

If you come to my house with a problem or for advice, but you either don't like the answer , or the manner in which it's delivered then tuff shit

My best mentors in my life were my grandfather, who owned a garage during the depression and a football coach I had in my teens

Both guys were brutally straight with their advice, and basically said if things aren't going your way, IT'S yOUR FAULT

Business is a battle always, fi you can't take it. Get a job and let someone else run your life and pay you for your time

Either make a plan for your life , or fit into someone else's plan for their life

Name
I'm Rick James
Very good post Fred.. that is why I like MB is because you will get the slap to the face you need to MAN UP.. become that Alpha Male. I personally wouldn't want to be in someone elses plan for life because they can and WILL drop you from their plan. Then you are left being a middle age man with nothing. I have seen that happen to so many people.

steve_64

Don't let Radio Shack receivables go to far out... That company is on the brink of at best a buy out( tho I can't imagine a suitor dumb enough to buy them) or at worst bankruptcy.

As for my blunt style here... Lets Talk Business Room is my house,

If you come to my house with a problem or for advice, but you either don't like the answer , or the manner in which it's delivered then tuff shit

My best mentors in my life were my grandfather, who owned a garage during the depression and a football coach I had in my teens

Both guys were brutally straight with their advice, and basically said if things aren't going your way, IT'S yOUR FAULT

Business is a battle always, fi you can't take it. Get a job and let someone else run your life and pay you for your time

Either make a plan for your life , or fit into someone else's plan for their life

i hear ya fred and thaks for letting me play in your house. i didnt undestand but now i do.

i also undestand about making my own way and thats what ive been doing and am continuing to do. im not one to blame others for my failures or faults, i was just expressing the challenges ive experienced. hell im just happy im still alive and as healthy i as i am. my heart was really bad and i probably wouldnt be here today hadi not got that taken care of. it is similar to what killed brian gamble i think his name was. the kid in iowa who died on the basketball court in highschool. they now say many dont make it past thier late teens without getting it corrected. i was 40 when i got it fixed.

and thanks for the advice about radio shack.

Able 1

Name
Keith

What did you get? I would have PM'ed, but things here have changed(not sure how to quote for a PM)...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom