Suction/Lift Adjustment

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
sounds about right to me with the machine you have

you might be able to get a reading of 10" with residential carpet, higher cleaning commercial carpet

doesn't sound like there is anything wrong

Able 1

Name
Keith
Lester, Just clean with it and see what you can do. There is always some things you can do to maximize your preformance, but first make the money to do so.

Keith

gasaxe

Brian Robison said:
He said when he capped the vac it read 14hg...no leaks.
Read the whole thread.

hey genius, i read the whole thread. just cus its pullin 14 capped off doesnt mean there are no leaks. I havent seen a typical spring type vac relief that will completely relieve with the end capped off.. If he is covering the inlet and its only hitting 14 i think there is 1 of 2 things, either the vac relief is too soft or there are leaks.... If you watch a spring type relief they typically start opening way before desired max lift. They dont pop open right at a given set point they have a start to open point which is typically sooner than what your desired max number is..

I wouldnt set my vac relief off of what it does with the inlet capped right at the unit. That in no way represents what is happening with a tool on and it pressed against the carpet.

Something else to consider is gauge accuracy. You can pick up a tool called a mightyvac, usually autozone has them they may even rent it to ya. its a plastic hand pump with a vac gauge and some assorted tubing. I would use one to check that your gauge is reading accurate. They come in handy for other projects as well.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Gasaxe wrote

hey genius, i read the whole thread. just cus its pullin 14 capped off doesnt mean there are no leaks. I havent seen a typical spring type vac relief that will completely relieve with the end capped off.. If he is covering the inlet and its only hitting 14 i think there is 1 of 2 things, either the vac relief is too soft or there are leaks....

But it does mean that he is getting plenty of vac to the end of the hose.
What do you mean by ONLY 14hg...do you want it higher?
If the vac guage is tight as hell with leaks, I could see it going to 14 hg then opening but I don't think so. Then again, how can we tell if were not there. There is a feel for it as well as noise factor.

He should cap it off at the mount and then do the same at the hose and the reading should be the same right?

Clark

Hello Lester

14 inches of mercury at 400 ACFM is OK, if that is what you have. What you need to understand is that Lift and CFM are inversely proportional. When Lift goes up, CFM goes down proportionally. At 14 on your equipment CFM is Zero. 100% was going threw the relief valve. The relief valve is a safety device. 5 inches at the wand is not bad because the CFM ratio is 35 to 65. 65% of 400= 260 CFM at the wand. Heavy saturated particles start falling out at 70 to 90. It's important to understand your equipment to be able to keep it run. It's good to know all the parameters and limits of your equipment.

Greenie

I'm glad to see the conclusion was pretty much "you are fine Les, leave it be".

You have a 1.5" tubed wand, you are pulling about as much air through it as you are gonna get.

I do suspect your hoses could do with an upgrade after you've made some scratch.

Carry on.

How'd that bucket flow test go?

gasaxe

Brian Robison said:
Gasaxe wrote

hey genius, i read the whole thread. just cus its pullin 14 capped off doesnt mean there are no leaks. I havent seen a typical spring type vac relief that will completely relieve with the end capped off.. If he is covering the inlet and its only hitting 14 i think there is 1 of 2 things, either the vac relief is too soft or there are leaks....

But it does mean that he is getting plenty of vac to the end of the hose.
What do you mean by ONLY 14hg...do you want it higher?
If the vac guage is tight as hell with leaks, I could see it going to 14 hg then opening but I don't think so. Then again, how can we tell if were not there. There is a feel for it as well as noise factor.

with a properly adjusted vac relief (not one of the fancy kunkle/bayco style) i would think from my experience that with either the hose, or at the unit, capped off you would experience higher lift number than what it reads when it is set up with a tool on the floor . So yes i would think if the vac relief is set up to maximize the system, then with the tool on the floor and 100 ft of hose out its pullin 14" then completly cap the hose off it could possibly be higher than 14". If the vac relief isnt capable of relieving enough cfm to bring the restriction down..
If he has a air tight system and he puts the wand on the carpet and the unit is pulling less vaccum than the pump is rated for one would hope that the vac relief isnt opening as that is wasting cfm and lift .

We are talking about a small pump and that is a factor compared to the 59, 68 roots pumps on the systems ive built and worked on as those pumps move a BIT more air.

He should cap it off at the mount and then do the same at the hose and the reading should be the same right?
correct... or really close...as long as the hose is good...

If the system isnt capable of pulling more than say 12 to 14" under working conditions then i would highly recomend ALOT...ALOT of dry strokes. Focus on moisture control. Dont let water sit on the carpet for extended periods before dry stroking. This will also help heat output as will give the system time to build heat..

Bob Foster

You all missed it and Les caught it when we were talking to Lester on Skype last night - yes he really is real.....

Filter box and waste tank gaskets???????........... Bingo
Nice suck when the pressure sqeezes the gaskets and crappy pressure when the lids don't seal because of bad gaskets.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
gasaxe sez:

"with a properly adjusted vac relief"

yous guys jus kill me....!

HAH...tighten that sucka down all the way..then duct tape shut all the holes....but one......

WHAAAAA HOOOOO momma..will it suck!

Greenie

bob vawter said:
HAH...tighten that sucka down all the way..then duct tape shut all the holes....but one......

WHAAAAA HOOOOO momma..will it suck!

or...slip a belt...or crumple a waste tank.

Ignore Bawb.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bob Foster said:
You all missed it and Les caught it when we were talking to Lester on Skype last night - yes he really is real.....

Filter box and waste tank gaskets???????........... Bingo
Nice suck when the pressure sqeezes the gaskets and crappy pressure when the lids don't seal because of bad gaskets.

That reminds me, I need to change my filter box gasket.
Thank you sir.

gasaxe

gasaxe said:
Shawn Forsythe said:
Lester,

The red arrow points to the vac relief valve on this White Magic waste tank. It is opposite the hose connection, as shown on your photo.
t9zeic.jpg

Matt Murdock's numbers refer to vac readings as successive amounts of restriction are added to the machine. The lesser restrictive the addition, the less the rise in vac level. Hence, the reason some users will opt to use larger than stock vacuum hose (i.e. 2.5" vac hose).

with the unit running at slower speed 1500 rpms or so... cap off the vaccum outlet (where you hook up your hose) listen for air leaks at connections,tank lid seal, and vac relief. If there is substantial amount of air leaking at the vac relief try pulling the vac relief closed by hand. again listening for other air leaks the less air leaks the more the motor will load down... DO NOT OPERATE THIS WAY FOR EXTENDED PERIOD !!!! 5 mins or so max.. once you have ALL of the vac leaks corrected put 100 ft of hose on and your wand. place it on the carpet and assure that you have no air leaks between the carpet and the unit. Now set the vac relief where you pulling 14" of hg with the unit running at max rpm..
If i were you i would look to install a inexpensive bbq thermometer in the blower exhaust piping to keep check on the blower exhaust temps (250 deg is what most roots/dresser pumps can run)

i guess nobody read it but i think i mentioned tank gasket in this post on the first page :roll:

lesterj2

its all good Gasaxe i changed all gaskets today... and will see how everything goes tomorrow...
i wanted everything to dry over night so i wouldnt **** up all my hard work... LOL

lesterj2

well tomorrow is today nowand i just came from the truck and guess what...
im now getting no suction at all ???

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:
well tomorrow is today nowand i just came from the truck and guess what...
im now getting no suction at all ???

you did have the engine running, right???
(sorry, couldn't resist)

are the belts still in place?
are they covered in grease and oil spills?
Waste tank drain valve open??

if you "nothing", the blower isn't spinning.
Look and see why

..L.T.A.

lesterj2

the gauge still does the same thing... so i did a test-run over a piece of scrap carpet i had laying around...
and it does get the water out of the carpet... so i guess everything is good...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Greenie sez:

"or...slip a belt...or crumple a waste tank.

Ignore Bawb."

Can't crumble a Steam Genie SS tank.......and my Gates green belts will last close to two years before they finally glaze......when i walk into a house...i can hear my Genie wand from the front door!

Ignore Greenie!!!

gasaxe

bob vawter said:
Greenie sez:

Ignore Bawb."

Can't crumble a Steam Genie SS tank.......and my Gates green belts will last close to two years before they finally glaze......when i walk into a house...i can hear my Genie wand from the front door!

Ignore Greenie!!!

you sure that aint your oxygen pump your hearing?? lol

lesterj2

gasaxe said:
bob vawter said:
Greenie sez:

Ignore Bawb."

Ignore Greenie!!!

you sure that aint your oxygen pump your hearing?? lol
lmaosmileygj2.gif

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Lester,
The gauge is showing the load on the blower. With your hand on the hose, no air can flow so it is reading a load. When it is just an open hose or an open wand, then the gauge will show much less. Even with the wand on the carpet the load will not be as high as your hand on the hose because the carpet is flowing air through the fibers.

PS I didnt read the entire thread so if someone already said that, then I apologize. :D

Back
Top Bottom