The Bigger Ticket

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I used to get all keyed up about a $500 job. Then the goal posts moved to 800. Then it became a thousand. Now I'm booking jobs in the multi thousands, don't get all giggly and my greed is still demanding more. Is there a cure for this addiction?

Reactions: PrimaDonna

Mike Draper

I know how you feel. I dont get excited about jobs any more. I might if it were a 10k or more job though. Whenever I feel like complaining I like to think back to my 2nd year in business. Was contemplating bankruptcy, had $12.00 for groceries and literaly just some ketchup and mayonaise in the fridge. My wife and I walked to the grovery store and bought what we could with our $12.00. Hard times make you aprreciate life more.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hard times make you aprreciate life more.
We grew up poor (6-children) and looking back I feel like such a dick for wanting more than my parents could afford. I wanted what all the other kids had and could not understanding why I couldn't get the "cool clothes" the other kids wore.

I was too ignorant to realize that we had a nice home and no longer lived on the bad side of town and there was always food on the table, nobody went hungry. I should have appreciated what we did have, instead of wanting more than they could afford to give me. :errf:

It wasn't until I was a teen that I had money from working that I could buy "cool clothes". Now I don't really care about brand name, doesn't mean a rats ass to me. Ironic, that now that I can afford it, that it doesn't mean what it did as a teen. :neutral:

I have few regrets in life but I sure regret not understanding the economics of my parents situation.

Oh they long ago forgave me for being such a spoiled kid but I still struggle with it to this day, wishing I wouldn't have been so self centered. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Nate W.
We grew up poor (6-children) and looking back I feel like such a dick for wanting more than my parents could afford. I wanted what all the other kids had and could not understanding why I couldn't get the "cool clothes" the other kids wore.

I was too ignorant to realize that we had a nice home and no longer lived on the bad side of town and there was always food on the table, nobody went hungry. I should have appreciated what we did have, instead of wanting more than they could afford to give me. :errf:

It wasn't until I was a teen that I had money from working that I could buy "cool clothes". Now I don't really care about brand name, doesn't mean a rats ass to me. Ironic, that now that I can afford it doesn't mean what it did as a teen. :neutral:

Yea, all those Disneyland, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, Great America, vacations didn't come cheap..... My parents gave us kids waaaaay more then they ever had growing up.....

EDS

Name
Ed
I always want more. As far as ticket price....sitting around 300 now and going to start offering carpet protector. That should bump up ticket prices...

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

But, I still appreciate the "little jobs", because we need them too and they serve a purpose. I don't take any job for granted, and you shouldn't either.

Don't feel like you have a "problem". It's not a problem or something that needs to be cured if you strive for more and better. That is what the american dream/business is about.

We should all challenge ourselves to raise the bar outdo the best job ticket we've done. Nothing wrong in wanting more or better....the problems pop up when people do things that are unethical or don't follow a value system to fulfill that "greed". That's when it's an issue that may need a "cure".

And it also what matters is what you do with your success too. Are you giving back, sharing with others, or hording it all for yourself?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But, I still appreciate the "little jobs", because we need them too and they serve a purpose. I don't take any job for granted, and you shouldn't either.
Thata gurl!

I get spoil with the big ticket restoration work but what generates most of that, is having a good reputation for doing the smaller ticket cleaning of carpet, rugs & upholstery.

hording it all for yourself?
Is this a problem? Should I not do this? :winky:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We didn't have a lot of extravagance but we were still a lot better off than our father.

He was the oldest of 14-kids, raised in a box car. My grandfather worked for the rail road and they had a little community of workers that lived in old box cars. Dad had to quit school after the 8th grade to help support the family.

You'd have thought after having to start working so young he would have been tired of working, but he loved it. He showed up here up to within two weeks of his passing. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nate The Great

hogjowl

Idiot™
I used to get all keyed up about a $500 job. Then the goal posts moved to 800. Then it became a thousand. Now I'm booking jobs in the multi thousands, don't get all giggly and my greed is still demanding more. Is there a cure for this addiction?
Get off MB and look at your books.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Chavez, your Poppy must have taken great pride in seeing his boy succeed. As a Dad and a Grandpa, that is the case for me.

My Dad sometimes sold plasma to buy us groceries; I still clean my plate. But he never compromised and he taught me things without price. And yeah, I get excited over any sale. Today I drove 250 miles to bid a job that will give a handicapped woman her house back. Right now the roaches have it, but soon it will sparkle. That, my friend, is my ministry as well as my business.

God bless.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Be thankful you don't have Our teams mental deficiencies!!
Bigger invoice amounts mean longer times at each Job site--- we can't stand being in one place more then 3 hours.. for some stupid reason we'd rather set-up n break down and meet new people-- it just doesn't make since..

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey I can see that. I like to keep moving too. :biggrin:

However nobody pays for windshield time so the longer you're at one spot generally the better off you're going to be. "Generally" :winky:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
He was the oldest of 14-kids

:eekk:
That poor lady... omg.

Could you imagine telling your millennial girlfriend I want 14 kids. You would need a Ferrari to chase her down.

Yes I think he was proud of what we had built.
Having boys of my own, I'm sure he was proud you weren't a screw up. Really, isn't that all we can hope for? No babies in high school, no dropping out, no stealing, etc...

As for the building of the biz/family working together, I'm sure it blew his mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom