The Porcelain Tile phenomenon (updated 7-26-2021) - Mike Pailliotet & Mark Saiger

This thread has been sticked forever.

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
I agree with Mike's answers-Just adding we wanted to find something that would solve the issue of getting a technician off a job when a porcelain tile cleaning job went bad. The products that will be in the kit will be a two step process for honed porcelain and a three step process for polished porcelain. As Mike explained one step used even by hand can repair blemishes while the other steps can remove some lite wear and produce a polish. I agree with you Tom there is more to learn here for sure.

Tom Forsythe

I agree with Mike's answers-Just adding we wanted to find something that would solve the issue of getting a technician off a job when a porcelain tile cleaning job went bad. The products that will be in the kit will be a two step process for honed porcelain and a three step process for polished porcelain. As Mike explained one step used even by hand can repair blemishes while the other steps can remove some lite wear and produce a polish. I agree with you Tom there is more to learn here for sure.
I understand polished porcelain. Honed porcelain is something I have not heard of before your post. Can you explain honed porcelain?
If this phenomenon starts by removing a weak coating then why not fully strip it and apply a better coating that is translucent?

Tom Forsythe

Translucent means it adapts to the sheen of the material coated. Gloss is shiny, matte is flat, translucent is whatever is below.

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
Yet another issue, this time with unglazed Porcelain..

It was a new floor that got sealed with Interlinks Viper Prestige water based sealer.

The cleaner used one of those blue wiffle ball bat applicators and didn't mop up or buff out the excess... IMG_20211016_134704.jpg

IMG_20211016_134709.jpg
IMG_20211016_134719.jpg

He tried cleaning it off with a spinner with no luck..

Sealing the whole floor ended up being the fixIMG_20211016_134729.jpgIMG_20211016_134736.jpg

A sponge for a floor, lovely.

Name
Tim Yeater
Yet another issue, this time with unglazed Porcelain..

It was a new floor that got sealed with Interlinks Viper Prestige water based sealer.

The cleaner used one of those blue wiffle ball bat applicators and didn't mop up or buff out the excess...View attachment 111293

View attachment 111294
View attachment 111295

He tried cleaning it off with a spinner with no luck..

Sealing the whole floor ended up being the fixView attachment 111296View attachment 111297

A sponge for a floor, lovely.
Myself I found that seiling of the floor and other topical treatments is One of the best options have yet to find a satisfactory fix for delam

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
My apologies for (sorta) dropping the ball on this, IICRC, Fest and Glide distractions

As mentioned, MBStone has created a fix for removing the splotches and light scratches from most every type of modern porcelain.

Small splotches can be removed by hand with just a hogs hair or white pad and a dap of crème, larger areas can be taken care of with a Makita or 175.

It's shocking at how little time is needed to erase the damage. If over worked, you can actually start to remove the glaze AND the photograph.
You and your customers NEED to understand that you are not restoring the glaze or making it more durable, you are simply feathering out the damage so that it's not seen by the human eye.

Link to a full kit to deal with multiple situations- https://www.mbstonepro.com/products/porcelain-restoration-kit

Link to the creme to just remove splotches , shows out of stock but is so call to order (11/5/21)- https://www.mbstonepro.com/products/porcelain-restoration-cream

Condog

Name
Tony
My apologies for (sorta) dropping the ball on this, IICRC, Fest and Glide distractions

As mentioned, MBStone has created a fix for removing the splotches and light scratches from most every type of modern porcelain.

Small splotches can be removed by hand with just a hogs hair or white pad and a dap of crème, larger areas can be taken care of with a Makita or 175.

It's shocking at how little time is needed to erase the damage. If over worked, you can actually start to remove the glaze AND the photograph.
You and your customers NEED to understand that you are not restoring the glaze or making it more durable, you are simply feathering out the damage so that it's not seen by the human eye.

Link to a full kit to deal with multiple situations- https://www.mbstonepro.com/products/porcelain-restoration-kit

Link to the creme to just remove splotches , shows out of stock but is so call to order (11/5/21)- https://www.mbstonepro.com/products/porcelain-restoration-cream
Is there a video?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Jus curious.. I think someone should try it.....22 bucks at Amazon ....free shipping
A clay bar would take out any stains!

Reactions: SamIam

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
This was a commercial office with the same issue. The cleaning crew used something to clean and left spots all over. As you can see the cleaning was turning out great until I noticed the spots. I tested a portion with a neutral cleaner and it lifted up. You can see it most by the toilet.

7E2D09E3-1EB0-4891-ACD9-9639FB25787B.jpeg 5F299486-D0EF-4A8D-ACC1-6057123C8883.jpeg 0D7FFAB0-BE60-49AD-BB97-45DCAA4125F4.jpeg

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Siager and I were remarking that the calls and emails concerning this issue stopped.

Now they are back on an every other day average...

Even the retailers at TISE were aware of it ..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The impact of crap viscose area rugs exists, but as the items are easily disposable, and its a relatively small part of the floor covering industry, probably inconsequential in the world of "big numbers"

But the impact of crap flooring that isn't easily maintainable and isn't easily thrown in a trash dumpster by the owner could have a big impact, especially in the era of social media.

This is a cavity worth sticking your dental probe into in every way you can Mike.

In case you don't know the reference...

View: https://youtu.be/kzw1_2b-I7A

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom