Thoughts on using this for a recovery tank

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The welding needed to make it work will damage the epoxy. That will cause premature rust and eventual failure.

Name
I'm Rick James
I think this tank can survive our blowers suction, its designed for high pressure..

Is there any way to reapply the epoxy after it has been compromised?

I already have two extra waste tanks but want a cylindrical one for a new TM i am in the process of building. I don't mind modifying the tank to make it work for a recovery tank.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As long as you have an air brake for relief I wouldn't think it would hurt it.

See if Brevik will sell you one of his, aren't his stainless steel? The difficutly with reinventing the wheel is the time and money invested in something that is already be produced.

Name
I'm Rick James
As long as you have an air brake for relief I wouldn't think it would hurt it.

See if Brevik will sell you one of his, aren't his stainless steel? The difficutly with reinventing the wheel is the time and money invested in something that is already be produced.

I think Brevik is the man when it comes to welding and I already tried to buy one.. but he won't sell them separately.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I see, Terry can be a real dik sometimes. :p Seriously I can see that he doesn't want to tear apart his system for one sale and then be tied to it for it's life.

Aerotech or is that too big of a waste tank?

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
A 55 gallon metal drum will not work. Don't ask me how I know but it makes a very loud boom when it fails. Sounds like a few sticks of dynamite.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
I'm Rick James
I got off the phone with them.. they said the tank can withstand the pressure but they were unsure of the epoxy lining and our chemicals.

What are your thoughts on the epoxy lining?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think the lining would be fine, it's your cut points that will be the problem over time. Since there is no Epoxy in the cut points, corrosion and rust will likely start there.

What about Mytee's molded recovery tank? I think you'd b money ahead and not have to weld or cut as well as no worry about corrosion.

http://www.mytee.com/products/t-80r-the-tank-recovery/#.UkWw-z9MuSo

Name
I'm Rick James
I think the lining would be fine, it's your cut points that will be the problem over time. Since there is no Epoxy in the cut points, corrosion and rust will likely start there.

What about Mytee's molded recovery tank? I think you'd b money ahead and not have to weld or cut as well as no worry about corrosion.

http://www.mytee.com/products/t-80r-the-tank-recovery/#.UkWw-z9MuSo

I thought about that but after shipping and tax its going to be over $800.. Plus i believe the cylindrical design of the tank will provide better air flow.

What about having the epoxy reapplied to damaged areas from the welding?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would think it would be fine provided you prep the unfinished area well, so it will bond. Even if it failed I would think you'd get years out of it before it did.

I'd still weigh all the costs associated with getting it up and going vs the Mytee.

Shipping, welding, gaskets, epoxy, time, all have a cost. It would be a shame to make nearly the investment in your own tank and it not work for you. ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom