To cold to clean

keithk

Current temperature is 13 degrees with a wind chill of minus 2 degrees. We rescheduled our first job, 2nd. job is all cimex. 3rd job is residential, wants us there, moved all his furniture etc. Good client. Do I risk pissin him off and reschedule or risk freezin up my truck / nuts?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You have to be kidding 13 is not that cold. I've cleaned at below zero many times no problems.

Once with 100 ft to get in the house and below zero.

Get your water hot and hook up the solution line last and get cleaning.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had that weather yesterday, shock after all the warm weather we've had. I even had coats on the horses and the dog.

As far as cleaning, warm up the truck unit before you get there. Then run vacuum hoses and get all setup and very last thing run your solution hoses and start cleaning. As long as you keep water flowing you should be good.

keithk

Yeah lucky you California.. I was trying to find an excuse to stay inside where it is warm but you guys were no help.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard C. said:
LOL Bundle up Keith, warmer weather is on the way this weekend. We are supposed to be 60 by Monday.

Ofer I think I feel the ground shaking. :p

That's because we are all dancing for joy here, wearing T shirts and worshiping the sun.

And we'll take a shaker over a twister any day.
Feel free to tell that to Dorothy too :p :p

And Keith, you are only one plane ticket away. Come over, if the cleaning does not pan out for you, you can always pan for gold in the sierras. :p

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The only problem I run into in very cold temps and long run. Is that the vac hoses can get clogged from the "Snow" that is created in them. It lines the interior edges of the hose and can make several foot long snow plugs. Just part of winter fun. The same as the van driving sideways down the road, you can't stop on ice. hand tools , lines and wands freezing solid because they were on the floor

I have even had the van slide out of driveways while parked on ice a few times. I hate walking out of the house and seeing my van leaving on it's own heading towards parked cars. Fun, Fun ,Fun!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea in the really cold weather ice will build up and eventually block the vacuum inlet on WDR losses. It's no fun coming out in the cold to chip away ice build up because you lose suction. Worse is rolling up your vacuum hose and hear the ice crack as you roll up stiff frozen hoses.

Hummmmm panning for gold isn't sounding too bad. :mrgreen:

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Richard C. said:
That's because we are all dancing for joy here, wearing T shirts and worshiping the sun.
Can I come pan too? thathurts

:mrgreen:

NO!! The west coast doesn't like Bears fans, stay home! Another day in the 50's here in Reno.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Royal Man said:
The only problem I run into in very cold temps and long run. Is that the vac hoses can get clogged from the "Snow" that is created in them. It lines the interior edges of the hose and can make several foot long snow plugs. Just part of winter fun. The same as the van driving sideways down the road, you can't stop on ice. hand tools , lines and wands freezing solid because they were on the floor

I have even had the van slide out of driveways while parked on ice a few times. I hate walking out of the house and seeing my van leaving on it's own heading towards parked cars. Fun, Fun ,Fun!!!

That van "sliding down the drive" is a real thrill!! I've had that a few times until I learned to stay off hills, or get a few tires on the grass for traction. I've parked the van on icey hill drives, got out, and the van stated sliding away. Fortunate nothing was behind me or coming down the street! You can't push that brake pedal hard enough!!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The brakes would work much on the ice. Luckily I was able to get the key turned in time to unlock the steering wheel and turn the backend into a snow bank or atleast get it sidewise enough to quit the slide.

Chris A

Name
Chris
rwcarpet said:
That van "sliding down the drive" is a real thrill!! I've had that a few times until I learned to stay off hills, or get a few tires on the grass for traction. I've parked the van on icey hill drives, got out, and the van stated sliding away. Fortunate nothing was behind me or coming down the street! You can't push that brake pedal hard enough!!

I haven't experienced that thrill just yet. I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw my Mobile Mortgage sliding into the street. There have been a couple times where I've stayed in the street to clean or said "Sorry ma'am, this aint happenin until the ice melts..."

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I had to have a truck towed twice last year and we pulled one out ourselves with a 4x4. They got down steep drives and could make it up the hill to get back out. thathurts

Name
Bruce
keithk said:
Current temperature is 13 degrees with a wind chill of minus 2 degrees. We rescheduled our first job, 2nd. job is all cimex. 3rd job is residential, wants us there, moved all his furniture etc. Good client. Do I risk pissin him off and reschedule or risk freezin up my truck / nuts?
I will clean in -5 temps with no problems, but I will not clean in minus windchill temps. The cold wind is what will freeze your equipment up real fast.
keithk said:
I was trying to find an excuse to stay inside where it is warm but you guys were no help.

You should have asked Jim Martin, I think he said he doesn't like to go out and clean if it's below 60 :shock:

keithk

We made it threw with out freezing. The wind died down so it wasn't to bad. I've slid down many a driveways with the e-brake on and all. If it wasn't for my family ties here I would pack up and start over some where warm. I was in Jamaica in October, they have a lot of tile and grout in the resorts. I thought I could start a grout biz there exclusively for the resorts. Every one else lives in huts. When I'm not cleaning I can hang with the Rasta man in my own little hut.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard C. said:

Absolutely Richard.
I'd be delighted. If you come over. I'll let you pan for gold in the little stream on my property (Sierra Foothils.)
That is, if you take a little time to thank me by clearing some (A little. Say....a measly 20 yards) of the blackberry bushes :p

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Richard C.":3rnvn6ck]

Absolutely Richard.
I'd be delighted. If you come over. I'll let you pan for gold in the little stream on my property (Sierra Foothils.)
That is, if you take a little time to thank me by clearing some (A little. Say....a measly 20 yards) of the blackberry bushes :p[/quote:3rnvn6ck]

Do you still have a place in the Hill country of Texas?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Bruce Humphrey said:
keithk said:
I will clean in -5 temps with no problems, but I will not clean in minus windchill temps. The cold wind is what will freeze your equipment up real fast.
keithk said:
I was trying to find an excuse to stay inside where it is warm but you guys were no help.

You should have asked Jim Martin, I think he said he doesn't like to go out and clean if it's below 60 :shock:

Brian H

Name
Brian H

Um.... the wind chill is the temperature it feels on your skin. It has nothing to do with the actual temperature at which things freeze.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian H said:

Um.... the wind chill is the temperature it feels on your skin. It has nothing to do with the actual temperature at which things freeze.

I looked this up yesterday. As windchill is said to not affect inanimate objects. Some however say that it will freeze objects that contain fluids faster.

I think wind chill just increases the PITA factor.

Keep your back to the wind= no windchill.

Driving on ice, feet of snow or in white-out conditions are a bigger factor that the cold for me.

Name
Bruce
Brian H said:

:shock: You sure you're living in MI?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Freezing is 32 F no matter what the windchill factor.

However high winds will overcome insulation and bring temperature down quicker than it would without.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Bruce Humphrey said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":16eot1na]Freezing is 32 F no matter what the windchill factor.

However high winds will overcome insulation and bring temperature down quicker than it would without.
Thank you Lee.[/quote:16eot1na]

When it gets really cold sometimes Brian has to turn on the space heater under his desk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom