Tom F and Jim will be so proud of me..

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
A cleaning standard should discuss the processes needed for cleaning carpet and at what point you would want a signed waiver to go beyond.
It should encompass the steps involved and why? Always answer the why.
1 pre-inspection - why?
2 Pre-vacuum, Why?
3 Pre-condition (spray) Why
4 Agitation, Why? How? Water pressure, or mechanical? What Type of machine can be used?
(some manufactures forbid the use of rotary machines)
What type of carpet (commercial or residential), (what kind of nap, level loop,
sculptured, cut pile, etc.) what kind of agitation.
5 Extraction (rinse) What psi at the machine,
with what type of carpet (synthetic or man made)
with what type of backing (action back, jute, pet guard, etc)
how many dry passes (could be addressed by regions or zones because of humidity)
Should fans be used (could be addressed by regions or zones because of humidity)
6 Grooming necessary or personal preference.

Your chemistry lesson in the standard should be limited to the Max ph for the type of carpet being cleaned (Nylon, Olefin, Poly, wool, pet)

Reactions: Mikey P
F

FB7777

I’m just happy I made my money while we were still considered low skill workers like painters, maids and landscapers

next we will want to be regulated by state and federal

minimal knowledge and zero lawsuits

i must be one of the lucky ones

FredC

Village Idiot
A cleaning standard should discuss the processes needed for cleaning carpet and at what point you would want a signed waiver to go beyond.
It should encompass the steps involved and why? Always answer the why.
1 pre-inspection - why?
2 Pre-vacuum, Why?
3 Pre-condition (spray) Why
4 Agitation, Why? How? Water pressure, or mechanical? What Type of machine can be used?
(some manufactures forbid the use of rotary machines)
What type of carpet (commercial or residential), (what kind of nap, level loop,
sculptured, cut pile, etc.) what kind of agitation.
5 Extraction (rinse) What psi at the machine,
with what type of carpet (synthetic or man made)
with what type of backing (action back, jute, pet guard, etc)
how many dry passes (could be addressed by regions or zones because of humidity)
Should fans be used (could be addressed by regions or zones because of humidity)
6 Grooming necessary or personal preference.

Your chemistry lesson in the standard should be limited to the Max ph for the type of carpet being cleaned (Nylon, Olefin, Poly, wool, pet)
so another vote for a training manual instead of a Standard

FredC

Village Idiot
So who exactly is the standard for? What bearing should it have on carpet cleaners?
It should be a reference for everyone involved in the industry.......and outside when needed

It should, through "nerdiness", go beyond the knowledge used in the everyday life of a BDCC

It seems there is an attempt to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The information you all want is basically there. When you go to an IICRC class you don't learn everything in the standard. Again, you are taught in accordance with the standard.

Maybe there is a need for a manual/workbook/field guide but that should be separate from the standard itself

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Curious how many people in this thread have purchased any IICRC Standard?
I have one somewhere , buried , from years and years ago LOL. hoping maybe keep monitoring This Thread and Mikey will end up posting the new one, and its entirety and I would not need to purchase a new one LOL

guessing it must be in a file cabinet somewhere along with all of the patches from the II CRC that I got and never used

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
so another vote for a training manual instead of a Standard
A standard is something that should be able to be measured to determine if a job is done properly when looked at through the eyes of an attorney or judge. Thus be able to establish incompetents or negligence otherwise any standard is meaningless. If there is no standard there is no incompetents or negligence. The manufactures have to help set the standard based on actions, chemicals and other things that could damage the goods sold to the homeowner.

Reactions: J Scott W

FredC

Village Idiot
A standard is something that should be able to be measured to determine if a job is done properly when looked at through the eyes of an attorney or judge. Thus be able to establish incompetents or negligence otherwise any standard is meaningless. If there is no standard there is no incompetents or negligence. The manufactures have to help set the standard based on actions, chemicals and other things that could damage the goods sold to the homeowner.
Yet no need for a "chemistry lesson"?

Which btw is nowhere near a chemistry lesson. Just a few definitions/explanations pertinent to the product and procedures.

FredC

Village Idiot
is something that should be put in a training manual
Instead of the technical standard?

I don't understand the logic here........................

The standard is what should include these things ...... the more in-depth "why"

A training manual is what would include the "routine" and basic knowledge

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
I don't understand the logic here........................
a standard is something a lawyer will look at to see if it is being met.
a training manual is something a technician needs to look at to understand how and why things are being done.

FredC

Village Idiot
I think the IICRC has muddied the waters with the "you'll want this if you ever got to court" spiel

but even looking at your definitions the standard (and reference) would by necessity be more thorough and include the "chemistry lesson"

A training manual should include info from and be in accordance with the technical standard

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
@Mikey P Having a standard for CLEANING would be impossible to establish. Having a minimum standard of CARE is something that could be proven. Clean can be different for different situations. A minimum standard of care isn't. Change the name of the standard to Carpet Cleaning Standard of Care

FredC

Village Idiot
which is essentially what you have now

There doesn't need to be levels of the standard.

You have levels of education in accordance with the standard though I'm not sure an "advanced Carpet Cleaning" class would be useful/profitable

Maybe the problem is a lack of companion materials available.

Last edited:

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
@hogjowl I think I actually understand where you are coming from though. If individuals take too much stock in some of the comments that strong willed personalities make as gospel they may make bad decisions. For instance if a person makes comments about you needing to have the biggest baddest truckmount or you're a hack. And a person was to make a purchase based on those comments and come to realize it was not necessary He could feel like an idiot and then call every one else idiots for listening to such comments.
Keep up the good work you may actually help others from making idiotic decisions.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
So, Mike, will you be joining us on the next group call? I think it is Thursday about 4:30 AM your time zone. We are including folks from England and Australia, so the timing get weird.

There may end up being a huge difference between what some have proposed to put into the standard and the final result.

@Lee Stockwell, or others who see errors in the proposed information, please, share specific details with Mike or myself or others on the committee. We don't all have degrees in chemistry and would love to remove anything inaccurate or unneeded.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom