Too much or not enough?

Mikey P

Administrator
1st day of training

· Learn names of tools and gadgets, Learn where they belong in the truck and their functions.

· Learn how set up a job. Floor runners, corner guards, bath towel at front door

. How to bring in and take out pressure and vacuum hoses and when.

· Become familiar with the upright vacuums, their functions, maintenance and proper use.

· Learn how, when and where and where not to dump waste tanks

· Learn how to fill water tank. Clear hose bib of rust and bugs, tighten down’ customers dripping packing nut if needed, learn how to not drench the inside of trucks when disconnecting.

· Become familiar with turning both the truck and “Truckmount” on and off.

. When to use Wheel Chocks

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
1st day of training
· Learn names of tools and gadgets, Learn where they belong in the truck and their functions.
· Learn how set up a job. Floor runners, corner guards, bath towel at front door
. How to bring in and take out pressure and vacuum hoses and when.
· Become familiar with the upright vacuums, their functions, maintenance and proper use.
· Learn how, when and where and where not to dump waste tanks
· Learn how to fill water tank. Clear hose bib of rust and bugs, tighten down’ customers dripping packing nut if needed, learn how to not drench the inside of trucks when disconnecting.
· Become familiar with turning both the truck and “Truckmount” on and off.
. When to use Wheel Chocks

If he can learn ALL that in one day, you my friend have found "The One", but will he choose the red pill or blue?

Seriously, if he's just hanging out w/you for a day/couple of days than yea, you should be able to make a pretty big dent in this stuff. Realistically, he's not touching the tm for a while, or waste tanks.

If he's out working w/your guy, I'd just be happy he didn't get in the way or break shat.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Seriously, who really checks their "customers dripping packing nut" ??

I think that's a bit too personal.

:yoda:

Reactions: Mikey P

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Nope. Not too much. I'd include a list of what you call stuff, like wand, jet, trigger sprayer, pump sprayer, vac hose, solution line, PSI, pre-spray etc.
Next day test him on it.

You having someone else training the new guy will be the best education your trainer can have. Give your trainer
an expectation of what the new tech has to learn each day. Break it down. Give the trainer a spiff when the new tech reaches your goals.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
1st day take it easy on him. I'd give more "house keeping" type instruction. How to behave in a clients home, what not to say and answers to a few basic question that may be asked of him.

Don't it too hard right off. Its an overwhelming list he will be hit with all at once. Give him a small note pad for notes, questions and direction he can jot down.

Reactions: dgardner

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
How to behave in a clients home, what not to say and answers to a few basic question that may be asked of him... Give him a small note pad for notes, questions and direction he can jot down.
Richard is correct. If it is going to be "on the job" training then he has to learn the "do's and don'ts" of working in the customers home. Go through and pick and choose your essential Moments of Truth from this Residential MOT list HERE. Focus on this stuff first...

Steve

PS Mike, give your crew chief your Daily Skills Review to cover each day. (Have Paula dig all ten days out of your SFS Operations Manual to use as a template.) Test them on this same Skills Review at the end of the day. Each time the new hire gets 100% give the crew chief trainer a nice crisp 20.00 bill! Now you will have peer pressure working in your favor. Then after your new employee passes the first ten days of the training course give them a 100.00 bill! 300.00 invested and a pretty day well trained tech! (And some happy employees. Then repeat...)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ONE DAY.......then go out the next day with the other truck...get 'em started..then disappear for a while...
show up at the next job....two or three days like that...and they're good ta go.............

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Don't forget Bawb's test with the zig zags and a bag of weed.
i can't tell you how many times i've done that.......
may as well get to the nitty-grity!

ohh ...and ya gotta toss it to them...
so they jus can't refuse to take it outta yor hand!

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
No point reinventing the wheel. And that is a lot for the first day. But I do agree with it. We have a trainee do a complete empty house job solo on the 2nd day under direct supervision. Takes forever but you get an idea of their capacity to learn right away.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
For us, the first day is more about just the very basics... And how to behave in a customer's home has to be where you start.

Bathroom issues are at the very top of that list: Don't use the customer's bathroom unless it's an emergency. Try to use fast food/gas station bathrooms instead. If you must use the customer batroom, ask permission, and clean up all evidence that you were there when you do use it. That means wiping the edge of the bowl down if you are a little sloppy, yes even the tiniest dribble. Put the seat and lid down when done. NEVER use the master bath period!!!

I have taken calls on every single one of those items above. I find a lot of men don't give it a second thought to the kind of mess they can leave in a home and the impact it has on some people.

Last edited:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
...I find a lot of men don't give it a second thought to the kind of mess they can leave in a home and the impact it has on some people.
I see that Sioux has been talking to you again, Brian!

Steve

PS We also early on with techs stressed the need to give the client the "Illusion of Control". In "tech speak" this translates into simply "asking permission" BEFORE doing stuff. Then we went over a list of IOC examples.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Changes person to person.

Some guys were born with common sense and will look at you like you're retarded or something for repeating the same tasks over and over.
While others you have to repeat 3 times until it sinks in.

Name
Nate W.
If they don't crack the wand on Bawb's only test, they're fired....... Don't matter if he brings the weed, his customers always had a few stashes they forgot about.....:lol:

I agree on behavior and customer service first, then they can always learning what's what and how to hook stuff up... I'd quiz at the end of the week...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom