Toughest Upholstery Stain?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Not doing a poll here; I would like your comments and specific experiences.

What stain or stains are the most difficult for you to remove? Feel free to list a few, and any good stories that go with it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Not doing a poll here; I would like your comments and specific experiences.

What stain or stains are the most difficult for you to remove? Feel free to list a few, and any good stories that go with it.

obviously mustard...but the worst is potting soil that Mrs Custy has rubbed in trying to get out:hopeless:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hi Jim!

Upholstery? Ink or marker have been a problem at times, where the size spread and the removal while better, was not complete and left a slight halo. We did qualify it but even then you feel bad when it's not completely removable.

Some old water staining from roof leak, not completely removable without discoloring original off white color.

Jim on some of the tougher stains, the cure kills the patient.:dejection:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;
The "Sharpie" stain thats looks to be 1/2" in diameter . . .
but suddenly grows to 4" in diameter from the ink on the cushion.
Larry

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not to side track this thread.
The hardest "stain" to remove, is some clients' expectations. You know the ones: Haven't cleaned their white sofa for ages, 5 kids , 3 dogs one football watching husband and they expect it to look brand knew after the cleaning.

I guess that "stain" could be called: unrealistic expectations.

Then there is all the above mentioned stains.
Some of the difficulty with stains will be dependent on fibers and color as well.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Glue on microfiber! when You try to get it out you pull the top fiber and leave a nice circle, OOPS! Get rid of cable dont leave a OOOPS! :hopeless:

the hardest stain is the one where they say I dont know what that is do You?????

Well Carmac the magnificent says! Burgerflikle.

mcatt

Name
Mike
Has to be ink as well for me. Also the denim color transfer from jeans as well

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The worst stains by a long shot are the ones that show up during cleaning and drying. Marker on the inside of the fabric or yellowing from ???? They weren't there when you started...

We're seeing a yellow discoloration almost daily, and almost invariably it will be furniture of Asian manufacture. Sometimes forcing the discoloration down with compressed air will work and more rarely will an acid, bisulfide or oxidizer work. Most of the time the discoloration can't be remedied.

Since the great majority of the furniture and upholstery fabric on the market in the US is made in Asia this will likely be an ever increasing problem.

PS: Customers get even more upset when they find out their high-dollar American or Scandinavian branded furniture came from China.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Oz how are they cleaning it? Wet cleaning all but two. Both of those were cleaned using OMS due to the previous Restoration Hardware/BoConcept linen-look pieces turning yellow after wet cleaning.
Assuming HWE what PH is their precondition? Neutral.
What upholstery tool is being used? DriMaster except for the solvent cleaned.
On location or inhouse? Both.

steve_64

applying a solvent protector immediately after cleaning will help keep stains from wicking into the fiber i think. i use to apply it to all furniture but have lowered price and made it an add on. people kept asking how much without protector.:hopeless:

if i knew what the stains were i wouldve known how to remove them i suppose.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'll agree with that FIRST statement! :oldrolleyes:

Shhhheeh some people!!! :p

OK. You're making a good point Richard.

Ink, mustard (turmeric) and marker stains on white natural fibers and then correcting the halo and areas that became lighter in color.
Stains requiring agitation on velvet, chenille particularly cotton velvet.

Or any stain from Kansas :winky:

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
What looks to be rust stains (smears) on 85 year old stage drapes, 35' tall at the first building on the Murray State campus.

Tomorrow's job......

pinosan

Name
Martin
How about the piping turning black after you clean a white linen sofa and cushions
If anybody cought in this and knows how to clean it chime in I don't need a living room set
right now.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man that's going to be tough to do in one trip, do you have a shop or somewhere to bring it back to. If not pickup on cushion until you devise a plan. You at least have the fact that it is white and linen in your favor. It can be bleached to match once you find out whats causing the black color. Too often they use cardboard or pieces of salvage material to make up the cord, hopefully its just cardboard. What have you tried? Any pictures?

Sometimes solvent base protector can be applied to the cord as a preventive if you suspect a problem prior to cleaning.

pinosan

Name
Martin
Man that's going to be tough to do in one trip, do you have a shop or somewhere to bring it back to. If not pickup on cushion until you devise a plan. You at least have the fact that it is white and linen in your favor. It can be bleached to match once you find out whats causing the black color. Too often they use cardboard or pieces of salvage material to make up the cord, hopefully its just cardboard. What have you tried? Any pictures?

Sometimes solvent base protector can be applied to the cord as a preventive if you suspect a problem prior to cleaning.

I'm going to this ladies maybe tomorrow? tried oxigen did not do it I will take some pictures and post them hopefully some one can help figure out.
I have a designer who can help me replace the piping but the lady is picky I don't know if she would go for that I'll bring some pics

thank you guys

SamIam

Name
sam miller
If its bled out piping. I would think the fabric will disintegrate 1st good luck I hate hearing crap like that! Who ever made it sucks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
How about the piping turning black after you clean a white linen sofa and cushions
If anybody cought in this and knows how to clean it chime in I don't need a living room set
right now.
Say CHINA! Gesundheit. When you go back, look for the manufacturer's label and the "Made in" tag.

I'll revisit earlier rants about manufacturing defects: They aren't your fault. You didn't create the problem, you revealed it. Stop taking responsibility for a maker's shoddy quality control. Manufacturing problems need to be referred back to the retailer.

You need to let the customer know that any work you do to correct this is out of the goodness of your heart, because there is no way you could know that someone at the factory decided to use creosote coated twine or some other inappropriate material as their piping cord. Your best hope is to rewet the piping and use compressed air to try and blow color away from the face of the fabric. Good luck!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks everyone. This gives me some needed feedback for something I'm working on for a class and an ebook.

Please continue to post your experiences with tough stains, and should you care to, the types of things you'd like to be taught how to remove in a hands on workshop.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Maybe it is time for an organization to create a "Wet Clean Safe" label.
And create consumer awareness, with our (the cleaners) participation (telling them about it and increasing public awareness and demand.)

Only once the consumer start demanding safe to wet clean upholstered furniture and hold the manufacturers liable, will a change happen.

We can help every day by doing our part and increasing our clients' awareness.

IICRC?
Anybody?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom