truck Mount

N

NJ104

I am in the market for a van and truck mount. In my search's for a used combo of van and mount I come across advertising of used truck mounts with a range of run hours from 200 too 3000. So i am asking everyone if they could guide me in how much is too much hours on a machine. I know that there will be different factors to think about, but I just need a base to work with before i even call to have a look at the the units. Please advise me wisely

Thank you

Name
Lee Stockwell
Hour meters are often wrong, or have been disconnected during long periods of use.

It's almost impossible to say what a unit is worth by hours or age alone.

We will help, tell us more about what you have been looking at.

Thanks,
Lee

N

NJ104

Lee Stockwell said:
Hour meters are often wrong, or have been disconnected during long periods of use.

It's almost impossible to say what a unit is worth by hours or age alone.

We will help, tell us more about what you have been looking at.

Thanks,
Lee

I never really thought about what I wanted , I just wanted something better than my porty, I have a ninja 400 not the

greatest but not the worst I want that heat and the fact that i dont have to drag my machine upstairs, or when I do chinese

restys.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
For about 330-350 you can have a new truckmount. If you have the work, get the TM.

I used a porty for a LONG time, it killed me. Wish I would have bought the TM sooner.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Hrs depend on how the unit was cared for. Just figure out the budget and post what you find here.

Do not buy until you demo with some dirty carpet.

Consider some unexpected repairs to come up on an older van/tm combo.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I came across a guy yesterday cleaning with a boxer 421 that had over 9000 hours. :shock:
It was by far the most I have seen on an air cooled truckmount.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't care how well it's been maintained, once a unit gets above 2500 hours, I ain't interested in it.

Of course, I seldom (only once in 24 years) buy a used unit anyway.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I have an '05 Powerclean Genesis with over 7000 hours and it still llooks close to new. No major parts have been replaced.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
never had much luck with air cooled engines. i would bet that he had replaced it multiple times. the hr meter can easily be moved over.

gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Juan;

The first consideration for purchasing a used TM would be . . .

who is providing service for the the TM.

Are you mechanically inclined ?

Do you know an independent TM mechanic ?

Who will do the installation when a new van is required ?

TM's are great machines, but a used one will need some service.

Engines should last ~2000 hours with proper care, if they have good ventilation.

Pumps should be replaced after ~5 years or so.

Blowers should last ~10 years.

Tank life will vary. Our Dynachem #6061 Aluminum & SS tanks easily last 10 years.

Of course, a reasonable new TM eliminates any major service. :roll:

Larry

Name
I'm Rick James
Stay within you budget.. TM haven't really changed over the years, its just an engine powering a blower and pump.. Get the one thats in the best shape and you can't fully rely on what the meter says.

Magic One

Check with Jim Pemberton he can get you a new van and TM for around $600 per month or buy an nice cheep used van and low hr. TM

Able 1

Name
Keith
Magic One said:
Check with Jim Pemberton he can get you a new van and TM for around $600 per month or buy an nice cheep used van and low hr. TM

Ah, you might get a new truck mount for 600 a month, but a new van and TM would be closer to $1,000 or more for 5 years or longer. A lease will put alot of pressure on you to build up your business FAST!! You will be better off with something you can buy outright or get a smaller business loan if you can.

Hours will depend on your mechanical ability, the more hours seems to be the more your wrenching on it.

For Marty he should always buy a new unit.lol

:mrgreen:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Daniel don't be so quick for the propane. i've run both and their are pros and cons for both.

I definitely would not buy something you can't pay cash for. Don't get in debt to start a business it can kill you.

Larry is right, before buying consider who is going to service it. I have built a solid relationship with the same dealer for 20+ years and it worth it's weight in gold. If i need him he is there. If you buy from an individual he is gone when the check is cashed.

gene

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm near 5 didgits on an air cooled tm. Big deal.

Oh. 4th engine.
Oh. 3rd pump
But original blower and hr meter.
About 300 on newest engine last dec

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Hours are a factor but other things are more of a factor. First and foremost is the condition of the machine. How well was it taken care of. Just like cars some will last a very long time if taken care of.

Another factor is the quality of the machine and type of engine. Historically direct drive units last much longer without major service followed by water cooled engines and lastly air cooled engines. The one benefit is that an air cooled engine is relativity inexpensive and finding one that needs an engine replacement soon will only set you back a couple thousand dollars when it is.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
The big thing with buying used is did the owner change the oil on regular intervals, lubricate the blower, change pump oil, de scale, etc... So many guys don't do regular maintenance that ensures the longevity of the truckmount or van. We started with a Prochem legend (air cooled) and sold it at over 7000 hrs and it was still fine other then a rear main oil leak kohl's are famous for. Did not replace a thing except belts and accumulator. Oh, air pump as well. Sold it to upgrade to more powerful dual machines. Apex.

All about maintenance!

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I would avoid going in debt if at all possible. Been there, got the credit score to prove it. Keep an eye on Craigslist in all cities within 500 miles of you. Good deals are all over the place with people getting in over thier heads and then selling everything cheap. There is a White Magic in my area I have had my eye on with only 90 hours on it for $6000. Older model but hardly used.

There are a lot of variables when dealing with hours. My White magic has 8000 hours on it and all I have replaced is the blower. Bearings got noisy, but still runs great, where I hear of others replacing thier engines every 2000 hours. How well they are kept up has something to do with it as well as machine design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom