Truckmount engine question

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It looks like an El Diablo will need a new motor....

It has a Honda GX670 24hp on it. That motor is basically not available anywhere since it was replaced by the GX690.

Any of you have a clue if the GX690 would bolt on and line up with the blower direct coupler the same way as the original engine?

Masterblend doesn't have the Honda engines because they have been building the units with a Kohler. This Kohler is different in size and the exhaust and direct coupler won't line up with the blower. They want over a thousand dollars more for the Kohler than what the Honda GX690 is selling for...plus we would need the whole conversion kit, to set up to match the machine with the new Kohler.

I don't want to spend an extra thousand for that. Especially since we just had the diesel burner's coil replaced last week for $1800!!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I enjoyed this unit for 500 hrs..

at 500hrs it needed a new blower
at 700hrs it needed a CAT rebuild
at 2100hrs it needed a diesel heater coil replaced ($1800)
at 2160hrs it will need a new motor

I guess an inexpensive tm can become rather pricey even with all the required maintenance done on time.

Who wants to buy it? I'm selling it with bad motor or new motor depending on price... I want a nice heat exchanger unit next instead of this.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Any of you have a clue if the GX690 would bolt on and line up with the blower direct coupler the same way as the original engine?

The really important dimension would be the height from the mounting base to the crankshaft centerline. Both engines list the same figure - 133.5 mm. The holes in the base also appear to be the same spacing on both engines. Here are links to documents that show pretty good dimensions:

https://www.kart-schuette.de/media/pdf/GX690.pdf

https://www.kart-schuette.de/media/pdf/GX670.pdf

Reactions: Zee and Desk Jockey
Name
Shawn Forsythe
Consider that the exhaust manifold from your old engine will not work. You will need to buy (if available) a manifold with similar layout (MB may have fabricated theirs for the GX670), and you may have to do the same. As well, since this unit is coupler driven, the differing rotational inertia of the old versus new engine may have a detrimental effect on the coupler.

Reactions: Bob Savage and Zee

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Consider that the exhaust manifold from your old engine will not work. You will need to buy (if available) a manifold with similar layout (MB may have fabricated theirs for the GX670), and you may have to do the same. As well, since this unit is coupler driven, the differing rotational inertia of the old versus new engine may have a detrimental effect on the coupler.

That is what I'm afraid of.

I already noticed the exhaust not matching.. the 690 is more vertical than the 670 which is almost horizontal. But that could just be cut and re-welded so I'm not that worried about the exhaust.

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Very odd. All those individual components should have a far longer life than that no matter what machine was attached to them.

I know....we ran similar machines thousands and thousands of hours without these major component failures.

J

JS41035

I feel your pain. I had the Nissan engine in a 405 crap out at 7000 hours. ;)

D

Deleted member 51539

Harbor Freight now sells a 22 HP Horizontal motor for $699... (for all except those in Calli...)

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Master Blend didn't have a suggestion??????

If not thats shocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Master Blend didn't have a suggestion??????

If not thats shocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Their suggestion is for me to buy the fuel injected Kohler and the whole conversion kit that it needs to fit with the rest of the truckmount.

Only problem is that the Kohler plus conversion kit looks to be at least $1500 more compared to the Honda.... If I could find the same Honda GX670, then it would be just an easy unbolt and swap...

Name
Nate W.
Sucks to hear Zee! I just replaced my Water-cooled Kawasaki with a Honda GX630 from Cobb. I went from a belt/blower to a Coupler/blower. My best friend has a lathe to make aluminum spacers to raise up the motor and then shim it to spec. I agree that its very frustrating when the manufacture stops producing the components you need.

You seem to have the business to support a new HE machine. Sell it and get what you want. But remember, your used to an alternative heating source and it may not maintain the heat/style of your cleaning. I spend 2k for the new engine, 600 for air freight, 215 for new couplers and inserts, 300 new pressure pump, 140 for new unloader. A lot of places gave me the run around for 2 weeks which resulted in me having the air freight it in.

A week after I fixed my machine, a local cleaner was selling a Avenger 210 running and all for $200. Engine exhaust HX was no good, but blower one was. I took out the coils in the blower one to quiet it down. Now I'll just put it in a van and use it for a back up.

Now I'm still debating on the High pressure LG #4 heater or the Northstar diesel heater. The engine blowing set back my heater upgrade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51539

I saw that in the local flyer, but when I search online the Web store says the item number is no good.

Buy them while you can. They will go just like the multipurpose machine (Oreck orbiter clone) and 12" yellow axial fan (only sell 8" now) they use to sell...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
It looks like an El Diablo will need a new motor....

It has a Honda GX670 24hp on it. That motor is basically not available anywhere since it was replaced by the GX690.

Masterblend doesn't have the Honda engines because they have been building the units with a Kohler. This Kohler is different in size and the exhaust and direct coupler won't line up with the blower. They want over a thousand dollars more for the Kohler than what the Honda GX690 is selling for...plus we would need the whole conversion kit, to set up to match the machine with the new Kohler.

I don't want to spend an extra thousand for that. Especially since we just had the diesel burner's coil replaced last week for $1800!!
Zee-

What was wrong with the heater coil; what failed on the Honda GX670, the block cracking?

I am using a GX670 to power my slide-in,and it has 2200 hours on it.

Just curious.

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
The diesel burner had black steel coil and it simply rusted out and developed a whole or small holes.

When I noticed water dripping out, it had 3-4 inches of water sitting inside the burner.

I had a new stainless steel coil installed last week.

The gx670 this past week started eating oil and was shutting down every 4-6 hrs because of low oil level... Quite bit if oil leakage showed up and its smoking rattling etc...it looks like small cracks on the block.

Worth mentioning: I bought this unit up in Denver right out of masterblend's shop as a demo unit sitting on a pallet with (supposed) 24hrs only....now I'm not saying it had a lot more on it but with what this unit has gone thru in 2000hrs, is surprising if it only had 24hrs.

Reactions: Bob Savage

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
the place that sells those engines on ebay is a good company. i would be comfortable buying a take off engine from them. I especially would be comfortable buying one considering the amount of effort it would take to buy the different engine. buying a different header and re routing exhaust can be more complicated than it looks.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The diesel burner had black steel coil and it simply rusted out and developed a whole or small holes.

When I noticed water dripping out, it had 3-4 inches of water sitting inside the burner.

I had a new stainless steel coil installed last week.

The gx670 this past week started eating oil and was shutting down every 4-6 hrs because of low oil level... Quite bit if oil leakage showed up and its smoking rattling etc...it looks like small cracks on the block.

Worth mentioning: I bought this unit up in Denver right out of masterblend's shop as a demo unit sitting on a pallet with (supposed) 24hrs only....now I'm not saying it had a lot more on it but with what this unit has gone thru in 2000hrs, is surprising if it only had 24hrs.
Gezz was it a demo or a return? :eekk:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Gezz was it a demo or a return? :eekk:

They said it was a demo and it showed 24hrs use...I hate to doubt thembecause most people at masterblen are very nice folks.

Perhaps it being a demo unit, the engine had a more abusive relationship with the humans handling it.

Perhaps it got revved up cold often, and maybe the heater got turned off with hot water in it etc etc ...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
the place that sells those engines on ebay is a good company. i would be comfortable buying a take off engine from them. I especially would be comfortable buying one considering the amount of effort it would take to buy the different engine. buying a different header and re routing exhaust can be more complicated than it looks.

So you know this company or the people? Can we trust those used engines?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They said it was a demo and it showed 24hrs use...I hate to doubt thembecause most people at masterblen are very nice folks.

Perhaps it being a demo unit, the engine had a more abusive relationship with the humans handling it.

Perhaps it got revved up cold often, and maybe the heater got turned off with hot water in it etc etc ...
That's true they are a reputable company.

Many years ago we had a cast iron hot water generator and you needed to cool it off before putting it away.

Name
Nate W.
That's true they are a reputable company.

Many years ago we had a cast iron hot water generator and you needed to cool it off before putting it away.

:shifty:

I try to cool down my LG before loading up... I think any machine with hot water needs to be cooled down for proper maintenance...

Name
Marcus
I don't know what will fit into yourtruckmount....
I have a2 naamco's with 4.5 blowers and kero heat
I have replaced both my kholer 25 hp with 33 hp generic and 30 hp kholer....the more hp the better..also more torque the better
The generac is my choice as it has as much torque as a 40 hp kholer and is about the same size as the old 25 hp kholer...
I don't know if it will fit in your truckmount......buttheseare the prices
33 hp generac.....2000$
35 hp generac....2250$
30 hp kholer.....2200$
25 hp kholer....1850$
Stay away from honda...as mostall engine guys have told me to do..
I had a honda and didn't last long....
Honed awill last 1500...2000 hours
Kholer and generac should Last around 2500-3000 hours
Also use the high grade synthetic oil as it will help the engine to last......
I sued amsoil last year and it went 150 hours and it still wasn't dirty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom