upholstery gurus get in here (update 12-29-11)

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Microfiber couch about 4 years old. Can't get the black out. Is it just worn or still dirty? The blackened areas are mostly contained to the "sitting areas" of the couch.

microfibercouch.jpg

Going back thursday morning to redo.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Re: upholstery gurus get in here

Richard C. said:
Vince does anything transfer off on to a white terry cloth towel?

No. I used 02 presray, gently scrubbed in and extracted. Looked somewhat better, then I poured some orange juice on a white towel, lightly rubbed, nothing.

Bob Foster

That looks like it came from dirty pants or maybe even dog oil but its dirt.

Pre-spray and use a horsehair brush and prescrub thoroughly in a circular motion. Test in an inconspicuous area to see if you can use a pre-spray that is good on oily soiling on the seating area.

Be careful not to run the tool too hot as it will cause a fabric distortion due to melting of the microfiber.

Bob Foster

I know JJ will work. Just scrub like I suggested.

hhb.jpg

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp

Richard C. said:
Does it look like any of it was removed during cleaning?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it soil?

It wasn't as black after cleaning, but still a strong presence.

The heater was off.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

Polyester has an affinity for oil. If it is from something oily (even a dog) the darkening can be permanent.

This is why they use polyester to clean up oil spills instead of cotton or nylon.

(It may look somewhat better upon drying.)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

If it looks like it's coming out it might need a stronger solution that addresses the oil.

Could be a booster to your preconditioner or maybe a pre oil break spotter agitated in might work.

Bob Foster

I agree with Richard. Just spike up the prespray a bit for the seats and scrub it and extract - it will come out. Please show us the after pictures. (Waldo wants to see them....)

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp

Bob Foster said:
I agree with Richard. Just spike up the prespray a bit for the seats and scrub it and extract - it will come out. Please show us the after pictures. (Waldo wants to see them....)

S & B work on this cause I have nothing but Judson stuff in my van, aside from some citrus.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

it's fookin' microfiber...you don't need an upl gOOroo for this... it's HARD to screw up that type of MF

vincent said:
S & B work on this cause I have nothing but Judson stuff in my van, aside from some citrus.

save the orange jUice for breakfast.
go get a jug of Prochem Ultrapac (# S711)..mix at 10-1 , gently brush , flush/rinse extract

easy peasy

if no distys near you carry Prochem , go to Home Depot and buy a gal of Krud Kutter .
Mix at 5-1

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

oh yea, what streaky upl tool are you using??

please don't tell me it's one the trEndY "board de jour" favs..... :shock: :lol:

..L.T.A.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp

Erskine Allin said:
oh yea, what streaky upl tool are you using??

please don't tell me it's one the trEndY "board de jour" favs..... :shock: :lol:

..L.T.A.

Just a plain ole tool I bought from Olsen (i think) a few years back.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

If straight solvent on a spotting cloth doesn't work to bring up any soil.

I don't see how any "wonder" chems will help much.

It's like how do you get an oil spot out of a polyester shirt?

You don't. (Due to it's affinity to oil combined with how oil refracts the light.)

Saying it WILL come out from afar seems ignorant to me at best.

Try as you like. Some conditions are just permanent.

I do wish you the best of luck. But, don't make the mistake of owning the condition.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Royal Man said:
I don't see how any "wonder" chems will help much.

Butyl isn't a wonderchem it's a wonderFULL chem ...and 6.37 times better than orange jUice

Krud Kutter has no butyl, but it's a wonderFULL chem too

he was able to improve it, which means a pretty good chance of removing it with better chems

UNLESS...the fiber is gone and there are black threads in the foundation fabric

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

Like Larry said. Cleaning this should be no problem. I keep some Home Depot Zep (beauuttill) heavy duty cleaner around to blast a little on stuff like that too.

I blast extra soiled T/Ls such as kitchen and bathroom entrances with the stuff too. Cheap and good but unfortunately beaauttil ain't to good for me.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

K P

Turn the heater on and use your O2 and use a white cotton towel to agitate a little.It is polyester so the heat will help tremendously.I also carry Masterblends fine fabric cleaner(more like a water soluble solvent)as a last wipe down on dirty Microfibers.

davep105

Name
Dave Pires

On the nasty microfiber I will scrub with cotton towel, run a emulsifier like dry slurry, mist with an acid, then wipe it down with clean towel again. Sometimes i will repeat this on the bad areas, usually customer is always happy after that. But no matter what I always tell them not to expect miracles...

S

sam miller

Jim Pemberton recommends anything with a little ammonia! Prochems upholstery prespray works great! also a citrus presrpay and get Your rinse as Hot as You can! It may have some permanent discoloration! I use Prochems prespray and a horse hair brush does most of the work!

Good luck post more picks!

PS use a blower to dry it faster and see if its just dark from water!

Name
R.J. Povio

We have used a strong solvent and had good luck like a PIG type product. Make sure you rinse it really well. Go to the Dollar Store and buy some LA' s Totally Awesome. It has some butyl in it. Spray it on rub with white cloth and hit with brush then flush and extract (some times you have to do it a few times). That has worked for us with microfiber. Sometimes the "black" is wear, most of the time though it is dirt/grease! If no more brown/dirt comes off on the white towel, I assume its wear and stop trying to get it any better before damage occurs.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

It's losing fiber, from wear and tear. When you rub your hand over the dark areas did it feel rougher than nice looking areas? If so, It's losing fiber. Starting to show the backing.

Happens a lot.

Spraying more crap on it isn't going to help. IMO...

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

Kevin Price and meAt are right. Decent prespray and heat. Why the hell wouldn't you heat this bitch out? That is what is going to get the oil out. I seen black all through the arms, seats etc of this stuff prespray with cobbs, scrub with a nylon brush(make sure you don't rip it) and steam it and it looks awesom

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

XTREME1 said:
Kevin Price and meAt are right. Decent prespray and heat. Why the hell wouldn't you heat this bitch out? That is what is going to get the oil out. I seen black all through the arms, seats etc of this stuff prespray with cobbs, scrub with a nylon brush(make sure you don't rip it) and steam it and it looks awesom

IMHO: If it is from oil, heat can set it.

Just like if you try to get oil out of a polyester shirt.
Heat can make it impossible to get out.

If it is from soil heat can help.

Using towels are very helpful for microfiber. I always follow up with a towel. Especially on the arms and seats.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Somehow in the flurry of 'nuke that sh..' advise, someone forgot to mention that before you try to be a hero, you'd better pre-qualify with the client.

It may go like this:
- " Ms ____ I am going to nuke the living daylight out of your sofa.
Yes, it may look great when I am done in which case I will be your hero.
Or, it may actually evaporate your furniture, as in...... kaboom, in other words- "your sofa may take the fourth dimension."
We at _________(fill in the blank) would appreciate your input Ms.____________.

Well, what the hack. Just vaporize it.
No other way to find out with certainty if she really cares :p

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I donno Ofer, cleaning that type MF is as close to the old Herculon fiber as it gets.
It's HARD to mess up that fabric with nuclear juice
and EASY to be a hero when cleaning it

hell, You could probably use Easy-Off over cleaner on it :shock: :lol:

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator

Not all MFs are 100% synthetic, I believe rayon is used in some

and you know when you run into one of the blends.

FredC

Village Idiot

the streaks say its coming out..........(I didn't know they made a Bentley upholstery tool)

I'd turn up the heat way up...at least not have it "off"

then I'd hit it with some of cobb's powermax ....and maybe some hell gel :oops: (but thats just me...on f'd up upholstery...with a waiver of course....sometimes NOT being a guru is good)....worked on the MF loveseat my dog used as a bed

but.......if all you have is what you have....at least turn the heat up....mix stronger, longer dwell, and more agitation.......

Back
Top Bottom