Vertical Fresh Water Tank

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Trying to decide between a vertical tank vs the regular hydro-well type tanks due to space concerns in a 2500 van.

Does anyone have or know if a 100 gallons vertical fresh water tank would have enough head room to fit in a standard cargo van? I know the cargo height of most vans is right @ 54 inches. The vertical 100 gallons tank is 28" wide, 43" tall. 8" fill opening with lid.

6c_1_b.JPG

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
tmdry said:
Trying to decide between a vertical tank vs the regular hydro-well type tanks due to space concerns in a 2500 van.

Does anyone have or know if a 100 gallons vertical fresh water tank would have enough head room to fit in a standard cargo van? I know the cargo height of most vans is right @ 54 inches. The vertical 100 gallons tank is 28" wide, 43" tall. 8" fill opening with lid.

6c_1_b.JPG

You know, I was going to check with a local plastic fabricator about building me a couple of long square tanks that I could mount along the upper rails of the van sides and ceiling.....up out of the way. Then connect them with an equalizer hose and then on to the pump.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
rwcarpet said:
tmdry said:

6c_1_b.JPG

You know, I was going to check with a local plastic fabricator about building me a couple of long square tanks that I could mount along the upper rails of the van sides and ceiling.....up out of the way. Then connect them with an equalizer hose and then on to the pump.

That's a good idea as well.

What would the width and length be on the tanks that you had in mind?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
tmdry said:
rwcarpet said:
tmdry said:

6c_1_b.JPG

That's a good idea as well.

What would the width and length be on the tanks that you had in mind?

Ideal would be to run from near the rear doors to behind the seats. Low profile....maybe even run up along the ceiling to the middle of the van. All unused room....but you'd have to watch your hed (Mikey) when climbing into the back of the van. I gotta draw some ideas.

Would probably be pricey, plus you would want to connect to a 12 volt pump and expansion tank for consistent pressure.

XCC

That looks to be the same size tank that Ben at Amtex Equipment uses for a fresh supply tank. He makes a nice base and frame to hold it. There's pics of it on the Amtex website.

starrett

I have a 65 gal version of that tank that I use when I need more capacity in the Butler. Works great, some headroom left, but I dont know if the 100 would be too tall.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
dgargan said:
Where dd you find the tanks in your picture?

They're on eBay.

But there's a few of them online for sale from different sites if you search for Poly tanks. I would get the hydro-well one but it'll take up too much room in my van w/ everything else that is getting installed in it.

dgargan

I'll check eBay. I did find some sites awhile ago but they wanted more to ship the tank than the tank cost itself

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
You're thinking about putting 900 lbs. on one spot in the floor of a van that's rated at 1500 lb. capacity.

Your machine weighs more than 600. And there are the accessories to factor in as well.

You'll need a new transmission sooner than you'd think.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Duane you should know that's not quite accurate. As long as the tank is secured correctly its shape will make NO difference.

I've run with 150+ gallon tanks for years.

Name
Lee Stockwell
With any truck you need to drive differently when loaded versus unloaded.

More patience taking off, much more caution with regard to momentum when navigating intersections and stopping.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm doing all this so I can purchase a box truck soon, one step at a time.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Duane Oxley said:
You're thinking about putting 900 lbs. on one spot in the floor of a van that's rated at 1500 lb. capacity.

Your machine weighs more than 600. And there are the accessories to factor in as well.

You'll need a new transmission sooner than you'd think.

So why does a 3/4 ton van have a payload rating of 3670 pounds.
Never did quite understand that.

XCC

My '07 GMC Savana is called a 2500 not "3/4 ton". In 1949 the Chevy truck with the lightest duty rating was called a 3100. Go figure.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
wouldn't want to run any tanks along the ceiling, too high a centre of gravity.
Having it in a vertical tank would reduce "slosh", it isn't that high, reduces floor space used
not to mention, being made out of plastic, its not going to break down or leak as easily as it would out of metal

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
XCC said:
That looks to be the same size tank that Ben at Amtex Equipment uses for a fresh supply tank. He makes a nice base and frame to hold it. There's pics of it on the Amtex website.

Just spoke to Ben and he wants $300 bucks for the frame...not going to happen.

The shop I'm getting it installed said it's not an issue to install it, so I'm going w/ that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom