Wand stroke to wand stroke

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just wondering, trying to see if its apples to apples or oranges.

Just wondering about how fast and how much overlap is being done.
How many seconds (ie if you count ONE Onethousand etc) does it take to pull the wand back 5ft?
How much overlap?
Do you have the jet on on forward and back stroke or only back stroke?
If you have jet on only back stroke, do you dry pass on the forward stroke?
If jet on both ways, do you go back over it with dry passes?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My job today was a white berber, I took 10secs to pull it back 5ft, jet on with back stroke only.
I dry passed on the forward stroke and overlapped about 1/3-1/2 wand width.

My normal pattern is a 5 sec back stroke, jet on forward and back, 1/2 wand overlap, dry pass in a reverse pattern.

Greenie

If you had a 2 jet wand, I coulc understand the 50% OVERLAP, but with a low profile 5 jet, no way, one inch is sufficient, one reason multi-jet wands are more efficient than 2 jetters when you add up the strokes.

2 Jet has a huge heavy flow overlap in the center, and much lighter spray towards the edges

..../.\../.\
.../....X...\
../.././\.\..\

5 jets 1" off the carpet only has about 3/4" "lighter spray" on the edges.

/ X X X X \

Jerry

Supportive Member
I have the greenhorn and i like to do about a 2" overlap. I really like to flush the carpet well.I am probably about the same speed as most . Pull back flush forward dry stroke. maybe its wrong but the carpets aleways turn out well considering I don't have a fire-breather.
Jerry

Becker

Name
Becker
Posts from Ron make we feel like such a hack.

I have no idea how long it takes me to back stroke.

Overlaping, dry passes, speed of back stroke.. all depends on soil level of the carpet. Or the type of carpet.

I have never thought of timing it.

I'm not worthy.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
probably about 3 to 5 seconds depending on soil level

1/3 over lap

keyed in both directions

50% over lap and same or slightly slower dry stroke

dries in minutes

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
keyed back stroke, forward dry stroke.
That's our MO for most empties.
Res often gets another dry stroke.

Speed of stroke depends on soil level.

If it's a trashed rat nasty we had to nuke with pre-spray, the back stroke might be at a snail's pace.
maybe 3-6 seconds pr FOOT of travel
If light soiled res, we pull faster.
maybe 1 second pr ft

we don't over lap much.
a couple inches is all

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
FULL PULL...ALL THE WAY!

WHAAA HOOOOO!

key is to overlap at odd intervals so's you'll get full dry...however i really don expect any of you to get that!

TimP

I run a greenhorn. I overlap about 1-2 inches or so...I try to make the jets over lap on the overlap side as I move. I pull back slowly wet at least 1-2 seconds per ft. Then a forward and back dry stroke right then.....helps to build up heat in my system. Then move to the next run.

John Watson

Different Strokes for Different Folks,

When you get our age and have been doing it so long that sometimes we dance the 2 step other times we waltz. We dance to what ever the music plays.

On apartments and rentals we rocknroll. We just make sure it is done right so we get our dance card punched..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
No John......somma this guys actually push the wand wit the other arm all frailin' about....

so i ask ..what's the handle on your wand for......?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
There's more than one way to skin a cat. No set rules on wanding technique. You do what works for the situation. I think what is best is to do as many wet strikes as needed (at whatever speed seems proper) then follow it with a dry stroke or two. Then move over almost the whole width of the wand. Do it again and again and again.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
just trying to get a feel for what's happening at the carpet. There has been tons of talk about whats sitting out in the parking lot and how its connected to the wand, and different wands, so whats the wand "technique"?
Some guys have posted one pass, no dry pass, and the carpet is dry. Well, how fast is the wand moving, what overlap etc etc. That's the point of this thread.
We've got the best equipment in the history of carpet cleaning, from Bulters to Judsons to V's and AT's, and highflow tweaks for vac and water, glides etc etc etc.

Now, what are the best techniques in using it?

Greenie

I'm surprised to see so many 50% overlappers.

I'm pretty sure before i overlapped that much I'd just slow my roll and build some thermal energy in a Capitoni pull, then do the up and back Dry and slide over.

The slow pull on a nasty is the ticket.

and...Bawb, why in the hell would I lean on the wand on a forward stroke? That's just dumb, the handle is for manipulating the wand, not for vertical push ups.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
So's Greenie...the handle is for carryin' the wand....into the house...how do you crack the wand to get the vortex at the baseboard....?

Greenie i challenge you to a wand joust....the winner???

Gets the fair lady Lisa....?

an' if yous lose......

you get mine!

Rex Tyus

I didn't even 50% overlap when I was using a Bane. Then I went to the outer jet on the wand. If memory serves correct it was about a 30 to 33% overlap. I currently overlap just enough to not leave a streak. About 1/3 the way between the outter jet and the wand wing. Which is about an inch. 1 divided 14 = .07"

Greenie

bob vawter said:
So's Greenie...the handle is for carryin' the wand....into the house...how do you crack the wand to get the vortex at the baseboard....?

Greenie i challenge you to a wand joust....the winner???

Gets the fair lady Lisa....?

an' if yous lose......

you get mine!

Pics?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
You wan a picture of MY OLD LADY????

look in the dictionary......her picture is under mean AND ugly!!!!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You grab the handle and LEAN into the forward stroke using your legs.

Saves your arms and back.

I thought you knew that elementary wand stroke Greenie.

Tsk tsk.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
Some guys have posted one pass, no dry pass, and the carpet is dry. Well, how fast is the wand moving, what overlap etc etc. That's the point of this thread.

Now, what are the best techniques in using it?

Ron, I'll preface by saying we've never had excessive dry times
even in the "olden days" before all the pimp mods that are popular with many of us now..

ASSuming all things our equal, like humity levels and air movement,
I've determined several factors are at play in dry times.
*NOTE* when I say "dry times", I'm mean "fo-reel" dry.
NOT the bUlloney "dry" deffinition that most of these apple knockers use.
Which is anywhere from "no water DRIPPING off their hand when touched" to "slightly damp" in reality

but i digress...

First, is the amount of pre-spray used/needed.
It's my observation that that is the biggest factor in fast or slower dry times.
There's a thing called "saturation"
Once a fiber is saturated with pre-spray, I don't care if a sOOper sUcker is so powerful it could pull the nails out of the tack strip.
Heavy pre-spray lenghtens dry times

Next is wand technique.
If PSI, lift and airflow are right, it's been my observation that speed of stroke doesn't make a lot of difference in dry times.
A slow stroke really leaves a carpet no wetter than a fast one.*
Yes, you're using more water w/slow stroke, but the vac slot is also over the fiber longer.
*The exception would be with the jamokes that blow WAY too much PSI straight down into the backing.
I cringe when I hear someone that's "suposed" to know something about CCing suggest 600 to 650 psi with a 06 flow 2 jet wand. :roll:
It's no wonder to "me" why they no longer clean carpets and are now in the manufacturing/juice sales end of the biz

Lastly, air flow at the wand carpet interface can make a tremendous difference.
If a TM has so much lift, the wand sticks to carpet, guess what? you ain't moving any water!
I figure that's the biggest reason so many claim such dramatic improvements in dry times when they first stick on a quality glide like GreenTeam's
That "wand lock" is also a major reason why so many have problems with com carpet, imHo

...L.T.A.

Greenie

I have a fully functional arm, I'm just gonna push it, that leaning into it crap is for the non-glided barbarians......with short careers.

TimP

Greenie said:
I have a fully functional arm, I'm just gonna push it, that leaning into it crap is for the non-glided barbarians......with short careers.

Yeah....I can push my wind with my thumb and pointer finger. Smooth as silk.....quite frankly I don't see how the barbarians can enjoy cleaning carpets having to bow up on the wand just to push it. :roll: They must sleep really really well at night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom