Wands??

Npetersen

Name
Nick Petersen
Ok, so I've been saving a little and I wanted to upgrade my wand. Right now I have a pretty generic 14" 4 jet wand. I bought it for a couple hundred bucks from my local vendor.

What I am curious about is, if I was to spend $600-1000 on a wand, am I really goin to get that much better results or should I just keep saving for a rotary?

I like wanding, so if by upgrading to an expensive wand if I'm able to get a lot better results then I'm all about it.
If its goin to be pretty comparable to what I have now then ill just keep saving for a real nice rotary.

Oh and yes I use a 175 on the bad ones and I use powermax prespray.

Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Nick, it has to be specific.
Yes a good wand will be an improvement. Hard to quantify % wise. I use the PC Titanium, but that is a lot more $.
However, it is easier to work with, reaches really well under furniture and is very well designed both for flushing and airflow. A good wand is well worth the investment if you clean a lot. It will save you time, reduce effort, clean great and will last you a very long time. In the long run the cost difference is insignificant and the advantages obvious.

Wand or rotary is a totally different story. You'll have to decide for yourself which way to go.

Can't you borrow the wand from your local distributor or a colleague to try?

Last edited:

Npetersen

Name
Nick Petersen
Thanks, it's hard to be specific because I really don't know that much about my wand. Pretty generic Really.
I know I'm a hack, but I'm really trying to get better.

My distributor doesn't have any wands that I'm Interested in. Probably going to have to order online after getting some recommendations.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Check if there's any member in your area that will be willing let you try one.
You can do a great job with practically any wand, it may just take longer.

For 15 years I used the HydraHoe (one jet, no glide, no S band. Many people here don't think much of it) did a great job and was practically indestructible.

The new wand, if you take your time when you clean, will not much change the quality of your cleaning. It will make it easier on you. Slightly better cleaning at reduced time and effort.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have a 4 jet TI wand with a green glide for $800 plus shipping. It is being demos right now so it might or might not be sold. Ill know Monday.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm in the market too. It doesn't seem like much has changed in the carpet wand world since I began suckin' rug @ 15 years ago. The Stryker by Sapphire looks like a departure from the norm but its so pricey, I'd hate to be the guinnea pig. I wonder I'd anyone on here has tried it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
What's your opinions of the evolution Truckmount wands?

Lightweight and greater water and soil recovery from the laminar air flow seems good. But plastic rotovmold? That's what gets me??

I like the good ol' metal wands that last a lifetime.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
What's your opinions of the evolution Truckmount wands?

Lightweight and greater water and soil recovery from the laminar air flow seems good. But plastic rotovmold? That's what gets me??

I like the good ol' metal wands that last a lifetime.
Prochem TI wand...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Interlink out of Omaha allowed me to demo the Evolution when it came out a couple years ago. It was so light, it felt like a toy. I used it once...actually half a job until I returned it to the van to retrieve my trusty s bend. I have sucked so much rug in my life I actually believe I'm just so accustomed to the old school metal wand that anything different feels wired. The Evolution might be an awesome wand but it just felt so strange to me. I'm trying to fight that. I don't even use wand glides and am pretty convinced I need to get with the program .

hogjowl

Idiot™
I am not up on all the wands available to us these days ... who is? Most suppliers don't carry but a small assortment of them, and they won't let you demo them for a week or two to find out if you like them, so how are cleaners supposed to know what wands are good and which are bad? Of the wands I have ... Prochem Titanium, Greenie Wand, PMF and Castex ... I can tell you that with the exception of the Castex (it's horrible) ... all the wands I have are all pretty much the same. The PMF is much less expensive, and it sucks and squirts just as good as the others.

In my opinion, it's not so much the wand you buy that matters.

What matters is the glide you put on it.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
There's a 14 inch 4 jet, 1.5" tube with glides on eBay for $165 new. Add shipping and its $200. It's got to be junk....right??? The seller is in the same town where Westpak operates. I wonder if there's a connection? Otherwise, there's a nice looking 4 jet 1.75" tube with 12" head direct from Westpak for @ $479 (not sure if it has glides).

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It is Vietnamese and it doesn't have a Green glide because the glide would be more then the wand. Your wand is an intimate partner. You will spend more time holding, and moving with your wand then you will with your wife. Buy the absolute best wand you can. It needs to be part of you. Which one that will be can be as different as there are taste in women but just like women you get what you pay for :) me I like my women bathed and with all their teeth :) as for wands I have always had a very liberal return policy on ends,stair wands and upholstery tools. If you buy a wand and after the firsts day you don't love it and haven damaged it you can clean it up and send it back and only pay the shipping both ways.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Nick if you are a Real person and you hang her daily you will lose your Hackyness. Hard to call a guy a Hack when he is looking to improve his game. Back in the day when I first use to hang on ICS I would stalk a few posters and follow their lead. You are here because you care about your work. Find a guy like Ofer who is a quality cleaner. Study his posts. I did this when Mikey P was Mike Pallitoiet over on ICS. At one point Mikey P was Mixing 5 different Pre Sprays. I did the same. He would Pre-Scrub with a Green Pad I would do the same. I am a clone of him now. Brainwashed? Yes. But Listen up Nick I was a Hack too. Split a living room in half let me clean one side and I will go against ANYBODY in the country. When my work is done. The living room will the Story. Keep your Dobber up and someday you will be a Top 25er. As Art Kelley has preached. "This is the business we have chosen"

From The Trenches

Golden Boy

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nick;

The 1st step up would be the 14" CMP wand with Angled-Jets & Glide.

It comes with the Easy-Touch valve and a Jet Total of #8 for $329:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=1327

Add the glide :

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=1254

The 14" Bentley w/Stainless glide will actually visually outclean the 14" CMP.

{We've tested them side-by-side}

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=4555

A properly-fitted slide-on Teflon glide is only $99.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=4836

These are your best values.

Larry

FredC

Village Idiot
If its a decent wand and you are happy with the results...KEEP IT...

If you aren't happy start by modifying it...soft touch, jetting, glide......

The only things that are going to make a significant difference that can't be accomplished by modding the wand you have, provided it isn't an absolute pos, are weight and ergonomics.....so save your money up and wait for test opportunities to find the wand that fits you.

I've used quite a few wand and I can honestly say there wasn't a dimes worth of difference between most as far as cleaning goes..........using them for 8-10 hours...different story

AND WHATEVER YOU DO DON"T BUY A BENTLEY NO MATTER WHAT COBB'S THREE FOOT TEST ON CGD SAYS..............

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
If its a decent wand and you are happy with the results...KEEP IT...

If you aren't happy start by modifying it...soft touch, jetting, glide......

The only things that are going to make a significant difference that can't be accomplished by modding the wand you have, provided it isn't an absolute pos, are weight and ergonomics.....so save your money up and wait for test opportunities to find the wand that fits you.

I've used quite a few wand and I can honestly say there wasn't a dimes worth of difference between most as far as cleaning goes..........using them for 8-10 hours...different story

AND WHATEVER YOU DO DON"T BUY A BENTLEY NO MATTER WHAT COBB'S THREE FOOT TEST ON CGD SAYS..............

I've tested the 14" CMP against the 14" Bentley . . .

and the Bentley was visably cleaner.

If Lockhart would bring his TI down,

we could test against it also.

Larry

FredC

Village Idiot
Look Larry...I like you...I like your chems...

BUT

Calling a 3' backstroke over CGD in your showroom a TEST OF A WAND'S CLEANING PERFORMANCE IS AN ABSOLUTE F"N JOKE....

Don't tell me about what youy heard from the hack that bought one or your test...go out and actually clean carpet with it for a few weeks 8 hours or more a day and I GUARANTEE you will be singing a different tune...........maybe not because in the end you would still be selling them..........

You have been saying the Bentley is the best thing since sliced bread since Mytee could no longer provide a glide...but you could...............

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Look Larry...I like you...I like your chems...

BUT

Calling a 3' backstroke over CGD in your showroom a TEST OF A WAND'S CLEANING PERFORMANCE IS AN ABSOLUTE F"N JOKE....

Don't tell me about what youy heard from the hack that bought one or your test...go out and actually clean carpet with it for a few weeks 8 hours or more a day and I GUARANTEE you will be singing a different tune...........maybe not because in the end you would still be selling them..........

You have been saying the Bentley is the best thing since sliced bread since Mytee could no longer provide a glide...but you could...............

The Bentley has been a work in progress, to get the jet pattern exactly right . . .

but I am convinced the cast metal head does provide more AirFlow.

If I could find a better performing 14" wand . . .

we would be selling it.

Larry

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhh to answer the 2nd part of your question....

save your wand.....

AND SAVE UP FOR A ROTARY!!!!

Its a whole new world....slightly slower...but your body will thank you...

FredC

Village Idiot
Didn't realize that was the only wand you sold.

A work in progress? REally? You have been saying its the best since Mytee couldn't produce glides for it? Why all the need for "progress"?

You're convinced? What convinced you? Scientific test? Cleaning with it 5-8 jobs a day? Floworks models? Profit margin......................

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
You're convinced? What convinced you? Scientific test? Cleaning with it 5-8 jobs a day? Floworks models? Profit margin......................

Cleaning 8,000 sq. ft. of carpet with it . . .

Examining Air Flow path with SS glide off . . .

Testing with AirFlow Meter .

Larry

FredC

Village Idiot
Cleaning 8,000 sq. ft. of carpet with it . . .

Examining Air Flow path with SS glide off . . .

Testing with AirFlow Meter .

Larry

How exactly did you examine the "airflow path"? Model it in floworks? Send it off to be tested? If so against what?

8000 square feet huh? Impressive? :icon_rolleyes: That the showroom? So you cleaned the average daycare with CGD? How exactly does that qualify you to have an informed opinion again?

This isn't the Truth Modification Forum where that might be a years worth of cleaning..........

You clean with the SS glide off?

Airflow meter provides only "relative" info....so what is it relative to?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Nick...I have nothing to sell you...

Stick with the wand you have unless you are having issues....cleaning, fatigue, etc

don't change just for new or "improved"

when your bank account allows for a rotary (and ANY wand).....revisit the subject...then contact Cobb or Olson to get a great deal on what you have decided on at that point

Last edited:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Nick, How about some specifics such as size of the tubing? What size jets are you running? Do you have a glide on the wand and if so what kind? Are you running 2 inch hose to your wand or a whip line? And is your truck mount setup for max airflow to the wand or do you have hose barbs still between each section? Answer these questions before looking to upgrade. You can do a lot of other things to upgrade your cleaning. If your wand is 14 inches s bend two inch tubing with a glide and your using two inch hose unrestricted to the wand, then you may just want to tweak your jet size or just keep saving for a rotary.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar

John,
There's a 4 jet "Prochem style" with 1.75" opening on your site. I think it sells for $395. There is not a picture available though. Can you get a picture or two put up here or message me. What would glides cost for that wand? I use 1.5" hose to my wand...I believe the 1.75" would accept my end inside the tube. Is that correct. I have a TON of CGD that I will begin cleaning next weekend and continuing this summer, I want to get into the best wand I can to make it go smoother. I think that high end Prochem probably has a 2" tube, is that right? Thanks!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Nick, How about some specifics such as size of the tubing? What size jets are you running? Do you have a glide on the wand and if so what kind? Are you running 2 inch hose to your wand or a whip line? And is your truck mount setup for max airflow to the wand or do you have hose barbs still between each section? Answer these questions before looking to upgrade. You can do a lot of other things to upgrade your cleaning. If your wand is 14 inches s bend two inch tubing with a glide and your using two inch hose unrestricted to the wand, then you may just want to tweak your jet size or just keep saving for a rotary.

The more I'm on MB, the more I think I should consider 2" hose to truck. I work alone most of the time. But working alone means I'm swinging the wand the whole time. Would I notice a huge difference by going to a 2" hose as far as fatigue goes? I am someone who is used to cleaning carpet all day, every day. Would performance dramatically increase? Thanks for the help!

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

hogjowl

Idiot™
The more I'm on MB, the more I think I should consider 2" hose to truck. I work alone most of the time. But working alone means I'm swinging the wand the whole time. Would I notice a huge difference by going to a 2" hose as far as fatigue goes? I am someone who is used to cleaning carpet all day, every day. Would performance dramatically increase? Thanks for the help!

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

2 inch hose will certainly give you improvement in your dry times. And the bulletin board culture will tell you that it will allow you to increase your wand flow for better flushing. I agree with the decrease in drying times, but I think 12 flow is beyond the point of diminishing returns.

If you are young and in good physical condition, wrestling 2 inch hose all day won't be too hard on you. As you age, you will begin to as yourself what the point is?

I reached that age last year, at age 54.

I now use a 1.5 inch wand and whip.

I don't have a drying time problem, nor do my carpets look any less clean than they did when I was following the bulletin board culture.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've been using a 12", 2 jet wand for a few years (think its a porty wand), since buying my smaller truckmount (Chem Tex Panther 20). Business is going well this past year and I want to be smart in our growth. I have a large new acct consisting of CGD that I will attempt to continue to clean alone. The first step seems to be going to a 14" wand. When I upgrade wands, it seems smart to commit to 1.5 or 2" to truck. I've always run 1.5" but I'm not scared to change if it would benefit our company. Again, thanks for the help.

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom