Washing white walls - smokers & grease- TSP + will Peroxide help?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Cleaning white walls semi-gloss latex. Dirt and some smoke.
Will it help to boost the TSP with peroxide?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
This wall was cleaned with TSP twice. They called, wanted to see what we could do. We used ICWC wall cleaning solution, modernistic has product called RENEW that works the same. I have also had success using Bio-Break with an Oxygen booster in a kitchen ( not sure that you are supposed to breath Bio-Break tho.)

Reactions: ruff
Name
Steve Lawrence
Help with odor, you mean? (I think you've got dirt covered with the TSP.) If it stinks I've heard Tabacattac works good--from Unsmoke. But if there is odor, remember it is everywhere--anything porous sucks up and holds on to stink tenaciously. Probably need ozone to help with that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ultrapac Renovate works better washing walls than anything we have ever used. I've used stronger chems, Higher PH, boosted chems, ammonia base yet Ultra Pac Renovate out cleans them all. :cool:

Smoke, soot, nicotine its an amazing product. Very economical too.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Ultrapac Renovate works better washing walls than anything we have ever used. I've used stronger chems, Higher PH, boosted chems, ammonia base yet Ultra Pac Renovate out cleans them all. :cool:

Smoke, soot, nicotine its an amazing product. Very economical too.
I've never used this, is it more for removing what you can physically see or removing the odor source that you can't see?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's for what you can see. Excellent degreaser. I keep some at home to clean up the grill and my hands after cleaning the grill. I also will spray it on my tennis shoes and wash them. They come out like brand new.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I never lie...I don't always tell the truth but I NEVER lie. We except that one. and that one! :shifty:

Dude it was good enough for granny mixing it up out by the cement pond, its good enough for Dash Ripprock. :cool:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Since I posted at the last moment before actually having to do the work, I couldn't try the good suggestions here. I used STPP boosted with Vol 40 (a quart in 5 quart container.)
Sprayed it on wall and ceiling (fine mist) and wiped with a flat floor mop.

Worked really nicely.

Thanks all.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Since I posted at the last moment before actually having to do the work, I couldn't try the good suggestions here. I used STPP boosted with Vol 40 (a quart in 5 quart container.)

Worked really nicely.

Thanks all.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton

Worked really nicely.

Thanks all.

If it is a hard floor it is quicker and easier to put the product on with a window cleaning lambswool/synthetic washer giving it a good rub as you do. Then a squeegee off. The left over grime can be easily removed with a microfibre cloth.

Then a quick clean of the hard floor surface

Last edited:

Mama Fen

Name
Amy Barnes
Enzymes can help a lot with a tobacco job, since many of the residues left behind by tobacco smoke are lipid-based. Anything that boosts pH into the 12+ range and acts as a saponifier (converting oils into soaps) will also help, which is why ammonia or lye work so well in wall washes.

Since such a high pH might be dangerous on a hardwood floor, STPP-based detergents and enzymes will be your best resource there.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Never EVER had a problem with Ultrapac Renovate (10.5-11 RTU) on any surface. I'd be more concerned about excessive moisture on wood than the product. We don't use it for floors but any little drips are easily wiped up. 10.5-11 is about like any of the carpet preconditioners.

Enzymes? Are would you want to fook around with enzymes to wash walls? :eekk:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Cleaning white walls semi-gloss latex. Dirt and some smoke.
Will it help to boost the TSP with peroxide?

More likely a layer of nicotine on the surface than organic staining.

Tsp is probably enough, or some KrudKutter.

Semi-gloss should clean up easy.

Mama Fen

Name
Amy Barnes
Enzymes? Are would you want to fook around with enzymes to wash walls? :eekk:

Because sometimes Nature really does have the answer, heh.

Lipase, amylase, and protease can cut through plant-oil residues very quickly without damaging paint, gypsum board, or any other building materials. Plus, laying it down with a foaming sprayer will keep the enzyme in contact with the surface and really lower the scrubbing time. You can even get those aggravating mini-blinds clean with little to no effort just by soaking them in a hot enzyme "bath" for an hour or so, then rinsing.

If I'm going after a soot-dense dry fire like electrical, I'm not going to bother with enzymes because there's nothing there for them to break down. But when there's an oil or grease element, like tobacco or cooking fires, enzymes can help break down those oils and make the job go faster. Plus, they're so much nicer to work with than ammonia...!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My experience with enzymes is they work too slow.

Time is money and if it impedes production by taking longer I'm looking for a faster solution. I can't wait on mother nature or mother fookers either. :winky:

Tom Forsythe

We make various wall washes at both neutral and higher alkaline pH. However, we use a blend on non-ionic surfactants (degreasing) and a cationic hydrotope which draws and holds fine particulates such as soot into the cleaning solution. I have been told that is the key to Renovate as well.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Tom Forsythe

Lye works, but lye (caustic soda) cannot differentiate between oils and skin. ( I heard of a someone who got lye in their shoe and needed several skin grafts to repair the damage in case anyone wants to handle at full strength). Even at 1% in a formula, it is considered a hazardous corrosive material. We only use it in two formulas as over time we have replaced with surfactants and other alkaline ingredients. An oil plate test compared lye to lye and .5% surfactant. The surfactant multiplies the surface area that emulsifies and removes the oils spreading from 1/8 inch (lye alone) to 1 inch (lye and surfactant). Lye is good, but lye with a small amount of surfactant is much better.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Lye works, but lye (caustic soda) cannot differentiate between oils and skin. ( I heard of a someone who got lye in their shoe and needed several skin grafts to repair the damage in case anyone wants to handle at full strength). Even at 1% in a formula, it is considered a hazardous corrosive material. We only use it in two formulas as over time we have replaced with surfactants and other alkaline ingredients. An oil plate test compared lye to lye and .5% surfactant. The surfactant multiplies the surface area that emulsifies and removes the oils spreading from 1/8 inch (lye alone) to 1 inch (lye and surfactant). Lye is good, but lye with a small amount of surfactant is much better.
I hope you're not lyeing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom