Water Stain (Seagrass)

Josh Adler

I have a customer who has a wall to wall seagrass carpet. Similar to sisal. when he was showing his house someone moved wet outdoor furniture and placed in on the carpet leaving a water mark. there is no dye just the water stain. What would you guys try first to correct this

I have a pic....im not sure how to post it

Thanks!!!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First.. get a complete sign off of liability and don't make any promise whatsoever. and second you may be able make it uniform by doing a quick rinse over the entire thing.. Use and acetic rinse. no heat and keep your pressue down to not even maybe 2-300. glided wand and get it dry as absolutly fast as you can. Lots of airpaths and air movers.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
either host or encap lightly on moisture or walk away

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Host or don't touch it but that won't fix it. David told you the only way it MIGHT be fixed but there is a HUGE chance of causing more damage. I would pass.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
correct... but once its dried out.. it becomes as vulnerable as any natural fiber. Expecielly to Water spots, stains and regular soil.

If the guy gives permission to be a hero and its a last ditch effort or into the trash then give that would be my procedure of choice.. just like if it were a sea grass rug. But only as a last ditch effort. I would usually pass if the customer did not want to assume the responcibility them self.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
btw, if you can post pictures by setting up an account on photobucket.com. And then using their prewritten IMG Code: copy and paste it in your post and you have a picture. If you can't figure it out, feel free to send me the pic via email: David@SweeneyBrothers.com and I'll post it for you.

Jose Smith

I have done a few of these (sisal, seagrass, etc. are very popular in my neck of the woods). The problem with Host is you will have a very difficult time removing all the granules off a wall to wall.

You will probably have to steam clean this thing and force dry it with some ari movers. Hopefully it is nowhere near the wall or seams. But just remind the client that it is already damaged. You will be attempting a salvage cleaning. That way, you will not be held responsible if further damage occurs and you will still be paid.

Jose Smith

Walt

I had to clean some of this the other day in an apartment on the 12th floor. We presprayed a sample piece lightly with encap green and it rolled up like a news paper. In the end, I lightly sprayed it and bonneted cleaned it. Then we went over it with the CRB - That seemed to work the best to dig stuff out of the texture. Over all soiling looked much better. Most of the spots came out. But the urine stain on the side of the bed is forever.

I would probably never do it again.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I usually tell them to live with it or decorate around it. If they would rather replace it then I tackle it. For a small water spot I would try the new product by bridgepoint. I forget the name but it's 15 per small bottle. It's mostly peroxide I think. I lightly sprayed a small area that was water marked and it dried perfect.

Gene

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm sure that most who suggest how to clean it haven't had the pleasure to actually attempt it.

Success on "sisal style" carpets made of other fibers can give you the false confidence to think you can work the same magic on THIS stuff....ha ha

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
WaterStainSeagrass.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Only speaking from experience here.. and we sell the stuff too. We tell our customers that all the limitations of this stuff and only carry it because so many request it (thankyou designers! ) And we also tell them that if they have a problem that this stuff is throw away and that any attempt to rectify a problem on this stuff is best attempt and never any guarentees.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Mr. Smartypants will tell you that "Seagrass" as used in carpeting is a reed that grows in swampy areas, maybe even near the sea.

From the picture there is no chance you can make this carpet worse, but you won't make it much better either. Let the customer know they can take the money they would have spent with you and put it toward a nice "better than sisal" style of cleanable carpet.

Jose Smith

I think your only chance of saving that is to dye it darker. Other than that it is probably not worth it to correct a size stain like that. This type of rug is not very costly to replace. Perhaps they should invest in that.

Jose Smith

roro

Name
Ross Craig
I have had success (only sometimes and not on such a big intense stain)with a tanin spotter (actives are hydrogen chloride & oxalic acid)followed by rust remover (10% hydrofluoric acid).

roro

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Peroxide can damage cellulosic fibers. I would not go that route.
The carpet was already ruined.

The spot I hit was much smaller and while peroxide might damage it some it completely fixed the problem. I still clean for her and the carpet is still fine.
Gene

Jose Smith

I realize it is already damaged. But his goal would be to correct it, not damage it further. His goal would be to remove the stain and make it undamaged.

Jose Smith

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
A stain that size, I'd run too!!

I've done a few small stains. Used a Stelco spotter possibly similar to what Ross has referred to but also on one I used a 3% H202 solution and lightened it up.

One some, it'll leave a lighter area and I've been able to lessen that with tannin dyes.

But no way I'd attempt that process on something that big.

John

Josh Adler

Thanks Everyone for your help....

I went to the home yesturday and took a better look at the spot. The owner of the home is attempting to sell his 3.5million dollar house when one of the other agents showing the house put damp outdoor furniture on the seagrass. The owner told me he paid close to 5 grand to have it installed!

After explaining everything to him he decided he would try to get the agent to replace it seeing as it could cause more damage or not get better.

I charged for my time to come out and take a look at it.

markhenry3055

Actually I came over here for information on if there is any Vancouver wood floor stain company working or available because my house is need refurnishing and I only want to done this by professionals.. Nice thread guys. We'll try to throw this a reference in our Vancouver wood floor stain section.

vancouver wood floor stain

markhenry3055

Actually I came over here for information on if there is any Vancouver wood floor stain company working or available because my house is need refurnishing and I only want to done this by professionals.. Nice thread guys. We'll try to throw this a reference in our Vancouver wood floor stain section.

trix

Josh Adler said:
I have a customer who has a wall to wall seagrass carpet. Similar to sisal. when he was showing his house someone moved wet outdoor furniture and placed in on the carpet leaving a water mark. there is no dye just the water stain. What would you guys try first to correct this

I have a pic....im not sure how to post it

Thanks!!!

it seems that looks ugly now and damage!!!i think the first thing you have to do is to remove it and try to rinse or soak in mild water,,but i'm not pretty sure if it really works...encapsulation and maybe other carpet and rug cleaning can do it's part...

Back
Top Bottom