Welcome to MB Mr Valentine!

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Ed, As you posted on here did you hear the background music of the Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" playing? Well you haven't lasted over 4 decades in this industry without rebounding from a few well placed shots. Welcome and hopefully it will be a win win for everyone.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
James I shit myself every time they tell me we have a portable job.

Then I hand out bandito masks to the tech's cleaning with portables. :eekk:

PortableBandito_zpse1986274.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Steve Lawrence
It is interesting to talk about portables on this board. Mikey, Marty and Richard have violent negative reactions against them, yet haven't used them in decades and blast anyone who uses them. Modern portables like what Ed and John L make are far superior to the primitive machines from the 70s and 80s that those boys grew to loath. I've been using my Mytee portable in conjunction with the 360i on hundreds of jobs this past year and a half and love it's efficiency and economy. Thanks Ed for continuing to improve your machines, and I'm certain you will see exponential business growth as fuel powered truck mounts become less and less cost effective to operate compared to electric machines

I also have violent negative reactions. Just for the record. How people can compete in our industry with portables just bewilders me. Congrats and kudos to all you people that have pulled that off.

Steve

PS--Willy's recent post of his incredible job with "The Twins" is testament that it can be done. Congrats Willy and your team!!

Oh and welcome, Ed.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Welcome, Ed,

You can't have enought thick skin and a sense of humor to post here.

Having had a larger gas TM with a 59 blower, a Fox, and smaller ones ranging from a 45-56 frame blowers, I'm suprisingly happy with the performance of my early Savage 1 ETM.

I had the opportunity last week while cleaning my wife's classroom at her school to measure the airflow on the district's Prochem Legend with 100' hose. The janitors had about 200' of hose out and were soaking one classroom when I went over after OP ing my wife's classroom. I brought the Exteck anenometer with me. Running wide open, and with a clean waste tank, that Legend pulled 178-182 cfm using the standard 4" reducing cone. My Savage pulls between 195-198 cfm at the same distance. The Legend is a popular machine and widely sold. I thought it would have better performance but the exteck and standard measuring protocol doesn't lie.

A lot of cleaners have built successful businesses with a Prochem Legend.

I'm finding that the move to a energy conserving hybrid cleaning system, electric power/propane heater has had a positive marketing response from the Prius crowd in Sonoma County. The green Biodiesel sticker on my Sprinter quietly assents to this ethos.

This model may not work for someone trying to build a large company with a lot of trucks, employees and, hopefully, revenue, but it has worked well for me.

There's a lot of places where alternate ( to a gas TM) cleaning machines are the best choice of tools. Ed has contributed greatly to this market.

I'd check for an open dump valve...

FredC

Village Idiot
I brought the Exteck anenometer with me. Running wide open, and with a clean waste tank, that Legend pulled 178-182 cfm using the standard 4" reducing cone. My Savage pulls between 195-198 cfm at the same distance. The Legend is a popular machine and widely sold. I thought it would have better performance but the exteck and standard measuring protocol doesn't lie.

Lie? No but that is only giving you one part of the equation...airflow. Not the ability of the unit to create airflow under resistance/lift.

but you aren't the only one not impressed with a Legend....a company I worked for had a Legend XL...had them send it to JD twice cause I figured something must be wrong with it. They said it worked fine...... :errf:

Name
Damon
Ed has a new portable called the Cub that looks pretty good. 36 pounds, 6.6 motor with 8 gallon fresh/waste tanks, 300 PSI all on a single cord.

The Cub, Larry Cobb's modified Mytee and the Ninja (like Willy has) are all under - or in the case of the Cub, well under - 100 pounds. As they should be. These are three I'm looking at.

IMO, if it's a portable, it might as well be truly portable. Most are too damn heavy (if it's light enough that you can move it easily, than you don't need a 100' hose run). You should be able to go upstairs without breaking your back or a sweat, not needing multiple cords or especially fear popping breakers.

Lefty724

Name
E
Same as Paul here. I have had a few tm's ranging from 36-45 blowers. Richard is right as I cannot afford a REAL tm.....yet!

With my newest ETM (sorry guys), I am 100% happy. 99% of my hose runs are 75-100' and I am happy with the vacuum at these lengths. I agree with the "its just a HP portable" comment as well but I'm happy.

I think in the future I will end up buying a new van/tm, but will hold out until I can stomp with the big dogs!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
They are obsessed with Ed on some of the other forums, not too sure why to be honest.
Probably about money like everything else in the world....

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
Lee,

At Duane's opening several years ago I tested several machines with the Exteck at 100'. Jeff Ellis brought his 18 /36 homemade machine, homemade was not a slur...beautifully executed is more like it, another fellow had his older butler with a 45 blower, and Tom Cermak had his Vortex. Jeff's machine had a small recovery tank, curved polished 3" tubing plumbing the blower and running at its top rpm pulled 243 cfm at 100'. The Butler with a 45 blower managed 247 cfm, Tom Cermak's Vortex 421 cfm at 100'.

Recently, I measured the airflow on the smaller Prochem Everest belonging to a friend that does equipment repair at the local Prochem dealer. I didn't have the opportunity to check his waste tank basket, but that machine pulled 252 cfm at 100' running wide open. The filtration design as well as plumbing of the recovery tank has a huge bearing on airflow through the machine.

The Legend I tested at my wife's school had just been serviced before the summer classroom cleaning season and I didn't notice anything awry, but a leaky gasket would affect airflow.

"As run" performance is what i'm checking. I've seen a lot of equipment that has been run hard and hung up wet.....a big blower will let you get away with that for a while....but 252 cfm from a Prochem Everest is pathetic!

System performance ought to be something we need to be aware of daily. Since I moved to a less powerful system, I'm more conscious to see that I'm maximizing the system potential on every job....that's part of the fun. The price point that I clean at gives me the leisure to be profitable spending a little more time in setup. The performance in the home is close to what I got with the Fox when I add the in line booster..around 350 cfm.

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
Paul:

I am a tad bit less concerned with their being an agenda on your part after reading your last post. If you are simply pointing out that the design of the TM in question can cause havoc on the cfm at the wand, then I agree with you.

If your numbers are accurate, and you are reporting them without bias, then the information you are posting is information we need to hear, and it needs to be verified by others who are also in the field.

However, I still have this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me to wait on the other shoe to drop.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I can only guess, but my impression of Ed is that he prefers to spend his time on the polyanna boards. Like Coops. I have no problem with that, some people are just wired no to be able to tolerate any drama. So, he is better off over on Coops board with the other 3 guys.

And Jimmy ...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Lee,

At Duane's opening several years ago I tested several machines with the Exteck at 100'. Jeff Ellis brought his 18 /36 homemade machine, homemade was not a slur...beautifully executed is more like it, another fellow had his older butler with a 45 blower, and Tom Cermak had his Vortex. Jeff's machine had a small recovery tank, curved polished 3" tubing plumbing the blower and running at its top rpm pulled 243 cfm at 100'. The Butler with a 45 blower managed 247 cfm, Tom Cermak's Vortex 421 cfm at 100'.

Recently, I measured the airflow on the smaller Prochem Everest belonging to a friend that does equipment repair at the local Prochem dealer. I didn't have the opportunity to check his waste tank basket, but that machine pulled 252 cfm at 100' running wide open. The filtration design as well as plumbing of the recovery tank has a huge bearing on airflow through the machine.

The Legend I tested at my wife's school had just been serviced before the summer classroom cleaning season and I didn't notice anything awry, but a leaky gasket would affect airflow.

"As run" performance is what i'm checking. I've seen a lot of equipment that has been run hard and hung up wet.....a big blower will let you get away with that for a while....but 252 cfm from a Prochem Everest is pathetic!

System performance ought to be something we need to be aware of daily. Since I moved to a less powerful system, I'm more conscious to see that I'm maximizing the system potential on every job....that's part of the fun. The price point that I clean at gives me the leisure to be profitable spending a little more time in setup. The performance in the home is close to what I got with the Fox when I add the in line booster..around 350 cfm.

There are a few things that will maximize the available vaccum on any given electric vauum motor setup in an ETM/portable.

· Directly connect the vacuum motor(s) to the vacuum/recovery tank - no fittings, no hoses, no elbows.

· Make the vacuum/recovery tank as small as possible for an instantaneous rise time.

· Make the vacuum/recovery tank as rigid as possible, so there is very minimal, to NO flexing, when going under load.

· Have a high volume (30 GPM) APO that will operate all day without having to clean it's filter, so having a small vacuum tank does not slow down your production rates.

· Use at least all 2" tank fittings for connecting to your vacuum hose.

WELCOME ED!

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Richard,Richard,Richard. Belittling is so gauche. If you'd like, send some of your techs and I'll teach them how to do it well as its obvious they're incapable or they have shitty machinery to work with :razz:. What kind of portables do you give them- rug doctors

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Richard,Richard,Richard. Belittling is so gauche. If you'd like, send some of your techs and I'll teach them how to do it well as its obvious they're incapable or they have shitty machinery to work with :razz:. What kind of portables do you give them- rug doctors
I'd have to tie them up and gag them. That is where it all starts! They don't want to clean with portables, they say they feel like we are ripping people off. Hard for me to defend that statement because I basically feel the same way.

I don't include ETM's in the portable group an electric truck mount is just that, a TM powered by electricity not gas or propane.

"A portable" strapped or bolted down does not make a truck mount. You may fool yourself into thinking that but you're not fooling your peers or your clients. It's a portable, use it, make some money and then buy a TM when you've built up your business.

Most of us have used portables at some point in our careers and as I said we still use ours when forced to. I think eventually we will buy an ETM on a cart so we can have an alternative when cleaning with HWE. At this point I prefer low moisture rather than using a portables.

Oh and Willy this is what we are using, state of the art portables. :p

b-300x225.jpg

Reactions: hogjowl

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Thanks to ALL above for your comments and especially, your very kind welcome.

A lot of great names on this board for sure.....................including the Pig Farmer, MarTy.

Been very busy & hope all of you have been too.

Ed Valentine

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'd have to tie them up and gag them. That is where it all starts! They don't want to clean with portables, they say they feel like we are ripping people off. Hard for me to defend that statement because I basically feel the same way.

I don't include ETM's in the portable group an electric truck mount is just that, a TM powered by electricity not gas or propane.

"A portable" strapped or bolted down does not make a truck mount. You may fool yourself into thinking that but you're not fooling your peers or your clients. It's a portable, use it, make some money and then buy a TM when you've built up your business.

Most of us have used portables at some point in our careers and as I said we still use ours when forced to. I think eventually we will buy an ETM on a cart so we can have an alternative when cleaning with HWE. At this point I prefer low moisture rather than using a portables.

Oh and Willy this is what we are using, state of the art portables. :p

b-300x225.jpg

Hmmmmm -How am I "ripping my customers off"? So can you show how much filth you remove with your magic bean juice and spinning brush? Or is just rearranging it good enough? What kind of portables do you use? When was the last time you upgraded them? Not wanting a fight but if you shit on my doorstep I wanna see how clean yours is.:winky:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Lee,

What do you think of the Bane wands as compared to the latest hooha ones?
They were state of the art...in 1983. Better than a few now. All aluminum with cast head, full 2" airflow thruout, 3x 11002 jets, 3/8" plumbing. Back side of the airslot was wide and ramped for the forward stroke. I carried both straight and curved on the truck. No wand I've used since is as versatile working in tight spaces as the straight one.

They were designed to maximize the performance characteristics of the Bane system. Too clunky for newer high heat/vacuum machines.

I do think it would do newbies well to spend at least a month with a Bane.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hmmmmm -How am I "ripping my customers off"? So can you show how much filth you remove with your magic bean juice and spinning brush? Or is just rearranging it good enough? What kind of portables do you use? When was the last time you upgraded them? Not wanting a fight but if you shit on my doorstep I wanna see how clean yours is.:winky:
Three Cheyenne's HP & heat (3) cords if you use the heat. One Comanche, low pressure heat. It the upholstery. Large Cleanmaster, have the maroon Ninja and a White US products Cobra with heat too. Have a few older Kleenrite and a pair of Exclaburs. Most just are not used unless we have no other option. We use more for upholstery on commercial work than anything.

It just takes too much effort to produce results that look visually cleaner and at a budget pleasing rate. OP or Encap unless trashed are going to give you a much better bang for the cleaning buck.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Relics Richard. 200 PSI? Single 3 stage or dual in series? Did you try them in parallel? 1000 watts heater? C'mon buddy- no wonder nobody wants to use them.Did you by them at Noah's Ark yard sale?:icon_rolleyes: Try a 500 PSI, dual 3 stage vac and plunk some money down on a real heater. You need to move along past the stone age. The newer machines would surprise you. BTW - that puts the turds on your doorstep, not mine:icon_razz:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They are junk but I certainly won't invest in more junk. I think ETM on a cart will be next investment if I have a need. Although I have thought of a Steamin Demon or Tsunami for flushing.

I might need a couple of portables......to use as door stops. Your twins will do fine! :p

Wake up William, its not the 90's anymore there are far better ways to clean CGD carpet. :icon_razz:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom