well, how about it O'Halek..

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I took CCT 3 times, UFT twice, WRT 2 times and I can attest to learning how to put words to what I was doing on a daily basis. Good instructors except fot the ding bat from Colorado that taught WDR and knew NOTHING about local building code, contractor requirements or local health and bylaw. Half the class was spent arguing moot points with fairly seasoned local restoration techs.(My faves were Jim"vacuum that sucks dust off the moon" Darling and Carl "The Truth" Williams)

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
In the IICRC of old, the benefits were simple- Niel.Nada. Well, a nice patch (ugly green and a pain in the butt to wear. I neverdid.) and supposedly public awareness that will also land credibility tocertified companies and individuals + acceptance by the mills, carpetmanufacturers and some referrals.
Supposedly the idea that if a customer questions a tech's competence the IICRC certification would show that the tech had some level of training. Even though we don't have any baby-faced techs, our techs all carry certification because the simplest answer to that question is, "Yes, all of our technicians are certified." If you can use the certification as a positive for your company, great! If someone takes a course and chooses to skip the test, or skip being certified, that's their choice too.

What can you do for your members?
Considering all the bad will created through many years of negligence byprevious IICRC regime, time is of the essence.
Sheesh! Hasn't been a week and already the pressure...

Have you exercised the art of asking the members?
It's always been done, but there should be an easy way to make a suggestion. This is going on my task list.

Create a body of official looking documents that will land credibility to ourclaims of 'innocense'. Like dye loss stains that appear or are visible onlyafter the cleaning.That's just one example.
If you keep on like this you're going to find yourself on a committee. Probably have to re-certify first. :biggrin:

Explain to the manufacturers that their unrealistic claims and misleadingwarranty, are bad for the industry. They create unrealistic expectations,therefore setting the carpet for failure in the eyes of the consumer who'sexpecting a sanctified, bulletproof miracle product.
You really think they need to be told?

We as cleaners are in client's home everyday and created good will and credibility. I am often consulted and asked for advise (yes I solicit that)regarding their next flooring purchases. I have thousands of clients. Iftreated well (and there are thousands like me) I will support a manufacturerthat support me. We, as a well organized group (Yea, right! Can you believe that a pack of lone wolf cleaners will ever do anything as a united group?) are quite a gate keeper and a gateway to better sales for the manufacturers. That is if they don't try constantly sabotage me (see CRI) and or to take us out of business.
You are correct that lone wolf cleaners will never have any clout. The regional cleaning associations don't have national clout. A national association that represents thousands of cleaners can make a difference though, and even the "old" IICRC did a lot more good working with the CRI and other industry groups than they get credit for.

About the only way I could see the IICRCbeing anything close to relevant and beneficial to cleaners, out side ofeducation, is for their website to show up in every "citysearch/carpet/upholstery/WD/stone etc" with a listing of qualifiedcompanies along with a list of patches earned, industry involvement, methodsoffered etc..
On one hand, this is impossible, so you're automatically putting the hurdle for relevance on the moon. On the other hand, We've had some success with a regional showing up well on a regional level and would like to experiment with using the same strategy on a national level. On the other hand...

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Just don't see that happening when 3/4 of the budget is being sucked out fromToni's exotic vacations and Vegas penthouse remodelings.
I've taken calls from people that wanted Tony removed because they heard he was always "vacationing" on the IICRC expense account, but every trip Tony makes either saves the organization money or moves it closer to being what we want it to be. Most here know you're joking Mikey, and I wouldn't want to stop that, but I'm commenting because some will assume it's true.

If Toni and Brain want old members to come back give them a short but difficulttest to re-qualify, prove with out a doubt that being a member will benefittheir company financially, put on or sponsor a yearly show, offer onlineclasses, bring real awareness to the public (a nation wide Pay Per Click siteor a partnership with Amazon, something so the words carpet, uph, stone, WD cannot be searched with out the IICRC site coming up= hire Fred) and...
Keep the suggestions coming...

Give up on the dream of resurrecting the Associations.

All that effort so five or ten internet neanderthals can sit around at thequarterly shindig crying about the economy is a waste of time and effort.
Embrace The Boards, sure some local shops won't like it as well as somepussy manufacturers but the truth is, and B and T know it, one hour on a sitelike this using the Search button is worth 25 hours at antiquated CFI/CCAW,NCAA/IRRCA or BSGFY meetings or an IICRC class from some burnt out teacher whohas not cleaned in twenty years or more.
There's no question that all associations have been in decline in the past 20 years of the internet age and need to morph into a new way of doing things. This as a fact that only a few "big fish in small ponds" won't accept yet.The IICRCA will have to prove they can help their partner associations bring value to their individual members.

For an example of what an association can do, look up the Restoration Industry Legal Fund. Anyone involved with Lisa's fight with ChemDry knows this is an important cause.

Please log in and tell the 15 thousand cleaners who visit here each month a bitabout how you hope to contribute and why you were picked for your position.
Why this civility? Who has Mikey's log-in?

PS: Mikey, a lot of bulletin boards have died, some remarkably quickly, and the rest now face competition with easy to set up Facebook groups. If you're running something that only exists as an internet concept, the term outdated can apply in a hurry.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

If you keep on like this you're going to find yourself on a committee. Probably have to re-certify first. :biggrin:

Expert Clean & Green is still an IICRC certified firm and I am an IICRC certified (not yet sanctified) master of the universe, (masta cleaner certified, Sir!) of cleaning practically anything and everything under the damn sun.
Not that any single client that I've ever met thinks that there's anything right with that :winky:

You the man Bryan. I have the full confidence that you'll bring positive changes to the IICRC and its little spunky side kick- iicrca.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
"...a lot of bulletin boards have died, some remarkably quickly, and the rest now face competition with easy to set up Facebook groups. If you're running something that only exists as an internet concept, the term outdated can apply in a hurry."

I've been on the boards since the beginning of the Internet. Unlike many boards in the past (and the soon to be past) Mikey'sboard has always been WAY more than just a "concept". We will be around for the long haul.

I was grateful to meet you at MF Bryan, thanks for your good work.

Reactions: Mikey P

harryhides

Name
Tony
Yep - I'm a lapsed person too. How do you wrangle all the lapsed individuals and firms back into the fold? I doubt they all are going to spew cash to re - certify, but you probably want them back. I quit paying years ago because I was told my voice didn't count. If I'm helping to pay the freight, I feel the issues and concerns needed to be heard.

Willy, I do not believe that "one wrangles firms back into the fold" - I believe that "they" will only come back voluntarily when they have a good reason or two to do so and it is our job to provide those reasons. It won't be easy and it won't happen overnight but the numbers are growing again as we have begun to add more and more benefits.
I cannot imagine anyone telling you that your voice did not count, that's just crazy.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I let mine go for a less than 2 years and they want over $200 to rejoin as a master cleaner. I used to be a certified firm. Not sure if I'm going back. Most of the carpet retailers don't even know what the IICRC is. Customers don't care about something they never heard of. That is a very expense sticker and card. My AAA card gives me more and cost less. I wanted to go back but I could use that money for a spinner and make more money with that. If you are going to sell something and charge a premium it needs to have value.

You are absolutely correct, Lois

harryhides

Name
Tony
Toni you know I was just kiddin about Free. Well...maybe.

Cheaper is better an the electronic down load is a great idea too.

One area that I think could use some improvement is the speed in testing results. My techs hound me about their results until they actually receive them 4-6 weeks later.

You are correct Richard - this is probably the single most common complaint we get.
We know it and are working on it.
In the last few months, our Australian office became independent of the US head office and they have been able to reduce their turnaround time to approx 2 weeks.
It is a much smaller market but we know that it can be done even on a much larger and more complex scale.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Has the iicrc ever asked members, former members and prospects what information/features they want? and how they want it?
Or do they just decide...

How about the instructors? are they on a scorecard of some kind and if one falls below standard do you get rid of them?

Shane, good question and it is something we started doing a over a year ago but only with current registrants, whose e-mail addresses we have.
As to your question about Instructors, Bryan and Bill Yeadon answered that one.

harryhides

Name
Tony
One thing I would like to see from the IICRC is more advanced classes. For example, there are very limited opportunities to take part in an advanced upholstery class. Maybe even classes that discuss the new technologies of our industry.

John, I completely agree with you and this one will take a little while as new classes take time to create.

Last edited:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Well said Bryan and in absentia Mr. Wheelwright.

So let us discuss the issue of benefits to the members:

In the IICRC of old, the benefits were simple- Niel. Nada. Well, a nice patch (ugly green and a pain in the butt to wear. I never did.) and supposedly public awareness that will also land credibility to certified companies and individuals + acceptance by the mills, carpet manufacturers and some referrals.
As we all know, the public had and still has zero awareness, and if I am to count all the business I got through twenty years of membership, it adds up to a lot less than the cost of membership.

- Grade?- F on all counts.

Now granted, I am not a lawyer and not much experienced in the fine art of splitting hair. IICRC, IICRCA whatever!
What can you do for your members?
Considering all the bad will created through many years of negligence by previous IICRC regime, time is of the essence.

WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR YOUR MEMBERS?

And by members (in case you're a 'Bishopian') I mean the cleaners.

Here's one:
Create a body of official looking documents that will land credibility to our claims of 'innocense'. Like dye loss stains that appear or are visible only after the cleaning.That's just one example.

There goes another:
Explain to the manufacturers that their unrealistic claims and misleading warranty, are bad for the industry. They create unrealistic expectations, therefore setting the carpet for failure in the eyes of the consumer who's expecting a sanctified, bulletproof miracle product.

Did I mention?:
We as cleaners are in client's home everyday and created good will and credibility. I am often consulted and asked for advise (yes I solicit that) regarding their next flooring purchases. I have thousands of clients. If treated well (and there are thousands like me) I will support a manufacturer that support me. We, as a well organized group (Yea, right! Can you believe that a pack of lone wolf cleaners will ever do anything as a united group?) are quite a gate keeper and a gateway to better sales for the manufacturers. That is if they don't try constantly sabotage me (see CRI) and or to take us out of business.

I am sure others have many more suggestions.

Consider soliciting them.

Yes we have and do.
Most of your other suggestions are a lot easier said than done - what makes you think that a Mill CEO would give us the time of day ?
Tell me when you get a meeting with Nancy and that will motivate me to try on my end.

Last edited:

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'm also an ex; both member and certified firm.

And after meeting Toni, I was well and truly certified. :icon_rolleyes:

When I inquired about re-joining, the fee was phenomenal, and I thought, not worth it.

As well as having to re-sit exams as I was then told.

Will the cri be endorsed by the IICRC ??

& will I have to purchase a wug dogter if I'm to become certified again ??
:yoda:

The IICRC has long had issues with the SOA program and I think that the CRI are beginning to realize the trying to put a Rug Doctor on the same level as a TM is never going to bet the support of the Pro cleaning community.

harryhides

Name
Tony
About the only way I could see the IICRC being anything close to relevant and beneficial to cleaners, out side of education, is for their website to show up in every "city search/carpet/upholstery/WD/stone etc" with a listing of qualified companies along with a list of patches earned, industry involvement, methods offered etc..

Just don't see that happening when 3/4 of the budget is being sucked out from Toni's exotic vacations and Vegas penthouse remodelings.

At this point we have a new line up of friendly faces running the show, a new logo, an extra A at the end, the Penthouse, a divorce from the BIG show and not much else.
I see one or two energetic instructors on Facebook keeping the dream alive, other than that since the big dixie mafia house cleaning nothing of any relevance has occurred that would make me reconsider joining up again.

If Toni and Brain want old members to come back give them a short but difficult test to re-qualify, prove with out a doubt that being a member will benefit their company financially, put on or sponsor a yearly show, offer online classes, bring real awareness to the public (a nation wide Pay Per Click site or a partnership with Amazon, something so the words carpet, uph, stone, WD can not be searched with out the IICRC site coming up= hire Fred) and...

Give up on the dream of resurrecting the Associations.

All that effort so five or ten internet neanderthals can sit around at the quarterly shindig crying about the economy is a waste of time and effort.
Embrace The Boards, sure some local shops won't like it as well as some pussy manufacturers but the truth is, and B and T know it, one hour on a site like this using the Search button is worth 25 hours at antiquated CFI/CCAW, NCAA/IRRCA or BSGFY meetings or an IICRC class from some burnt out teacher who has not cleaned in twenty years or more.

All that brain power on the new BOD and only Bryan contributes here...sheesh.

Sunny Bass, Jim Pearson and Bruce Vance...come on down!

I've never heard of a one of you, You want a part in running MY INDUSTRY? Please log in and tell the 15 thousand cleaners who visit here each month a bit about how you hope to contribute and why you were picked for your position.

Mikey, we all know that your fertile imagination is legendary and on rare occasions quite amusing.
And so if you really think that I am off in Oagoadagou, Burkina Faso sitting under a Baobab tree checking up on a carpet cleaner by the name of Abu Bakar Tafaweh Balewa that is falsely claiming to be certified, go right ahead.
As for these folks that you have never heard of, they are all volunteers that are going to try to make a difference in their industry - and poor fellas they've likely never heard of you either, so what?
As for your contention that the IICRC RUNS YOUR INDUSTRY that is as fanciful as your referring to some burnt out teacher who has not cleaned in twenty years or more - some of those long time instructors that have not cleaned in years are the same people that actually provide some value to your Board. Or did you really think that Bill Yeadon and Scott W run up their TM's every day?

Reactions: hogjowl

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You are correct Richard - this is probably the single most common complaint we get.
We know it and are working on it.
In the last few months, our Australian office became independent of the US head office and they have been able to reduce their turnaround time to approx 2 weeks.
It is a much smaller market but we know that it can be done even on a much larger and more complex scale.
Thanks for listening to us Tony. I don't think anyone expects immediate action but it does mean plenty when you hear that a concern is recognized.

Very much appreciate all you're doing for us!

harryhides

Name
Tony
HOLY JEEBUS...jus to have my name uttered by one of the greatest grand-POObas in the industry
is in itsef an honour(ha)......HOWEVER never ever forget what i shared wit you in the Sheraton lobby that fateful evening.....capish?

Umm Bawb, we is all the same, jus regular cleaners, rug suckers and restorers just like you - though I never actually seen you clean a carpet.
I remember that one of the most prolific posters on ICS years ago was a hotel janitor so who knows.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

harryhides

Name
Tony
He mentions my name too Bawb......unfortunately its usually followed by something derogatory. :winky:

:lol:

Actually, Richard whenever we take a cold iced tea out of our Kansas Jawhawks cooler here in Burkina Faso that you gave us,my wife and I are reminded of your kindness and generosity.

Reactions: KevinL

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I will say the classes have kept me out of trouble! But anybody going thru a class today and starting out isn't going to hold a candle to 30 years of experience.

I realize its not fair for a certified firm to keep paying only to allow people back who haven't paid in years.

iphone004.jpg

But if someone could prove certification, why not generate revenue and allow reinstatement. Build membership and create more future revenue, charge the yearly charge and 1 year back fee $200 sounds fair.

Lastly I've learned more from these boards and have gotten better at my craft with hi flow wands 2.5 inch hose, airpath, dripods, better dry times, tile cleaning , ect ect ect. SEO my web site!

There's not enough I can say about these boards that have helped me tremendously.

I would say every new cleaner would benefit from the classes offered by IICRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Let's not nit pick Sir Toni.

Tell us what your goals are and how long you'll need to achieve them.

And for Christ's sakes, how hip could those three dudes be if they haven't heard of this board?

Don't tell me they're like Brian and won't let their guys run glides and think a RX20 is cutting edge stuff

harryhides

Name
Tony
Wow Sam, you are really dating yourself there, my hats off to you.
You are correct, for all that could be improved upon on so many areas in our industry, it is gentlemen like you who truly know just how far we have come.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Let's not nit pick Sir Toni.

Tell us what your goals are and how long you'll need to achieve them.

I'll consider it when you learn to spell my name correctly.

And for Christ's sakes, how hip could those three dudes be if they haven't heard of this board?

Don't tell me they're like Brian and won't let their guys run glides and think a RX20 is cutting edge stuff

Being hip is only important in Santa Cruz and possibly Aptos.
One is ancient compared to even Bill Yeadon and has been an instructor since the dark ages and as lovely a man as you'll ever meet.
One is an Industrial Hygienist from Montana - you may have to look that one up.
One is also an Instructor and on the Board of The Association of Residential Cleaning Services International (ARCSI) - I doubt that you have ever heard of them but they started about when you started MB and now have over 600 members in 5 countries.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It'd be cool if membership came with some privileges.

You get a patch and can use the logo in your advertising as long as you maintain your membership.

You can also mock non certified hacks to your customer base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't need cavities filled Harold, I need your worthless group to finally matter.

Make me excited about one thing, just one and I'll lay off the vacation jokes.

Until then, it's all I've seen with wide open eyes.

You've become Anthony Bourdain on the broke dick's dime.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Most of your other suggestions are a lot easier said than done - what makes you think that a Mill CEO would give us the time of day ?
When they see the benefits and the multiples. 3000 cleaners (that's a very low end estimate) have access to and earned the trust of say 2000 (that's a low end estimate) clients. You do the math.
And guess what Toni, it works both ways. We can recommend them and we can un-recommend them. I did with Shaw when they were trying to take away carpet cleaners business (remember those days?). I personally persuaded quite a few clients not to buy Shaw's products. Don't under estimate the power of numbers Toni. Corporate America digs it.

And if they are not willing to, make them give you the time of day! Isn't it part of your job?

Tell me when you get a meeting with Nancy and that will motivate me to try on my end.
:icon_redface:
Who's the damsel?
And is she in distress, Toni?
Those are the circumstances where I shine the mostest.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Next time a patched out bugger flipper gives me a hard time!

I'll mail ya his shirt!

I don't appreciate being looked down upon by certified goobers. Especially when I can out perform 90% of em : )

How ya gonna fix that?

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Reactions: KevinL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom