What do you guys rinse with?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I saw a thread on another forum asking this, and they made a poll out of it. Personally, I use a Judson's Rinse, which would be classified as a neutral rinse, I guess. On that poll thread, no neutral rinse product was available to select. Most cleaners say they use an acid rinse, but I suspect over half of those guys just say that. I bet if you looked in their trucks you'd fine detergent rinses (alkaline).

What do you use?

If you use water, ignore this thread.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It vary's to what's required mostly liquid 90 or liqua pro. I have 2 5 gallon jugs s 1 with all fiber rinse sometimes ill add natural fiber cleaner in there if needed.

Mostly an alkaline rinse

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have two chemical jugs and switch back and forth often. I use End Zone most of the time and Dry Slurry on rentals, commercial and dumps.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Masterblend Soapfree 95% of the time, detergent rinse/emulsifier.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I see the use of products like Dry Slurry.

However, if you wanted to rinse with something other than a detergent ... something that is truly a rinse ... but you also wanted some cleaning ability to the product ... is there a neutral or acid rinse available that fits that need? (Other than Judsons.)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Why is an acid "truly" a rinse and an alkaline not, Marty?
Beside the brain rinse, sorry wash, from the supply side.

As there is no difference in re-soiling between the two, whatsoever.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think bacon breath is speaking about free rinsing, as least residue as possible. The story (I believe it) is that acid rinses rinse better than water and give you an ideal condition when applying protectants. However like the Porkfritter they don't do a great job of cleaning. :p

:lol:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
As for the last 20 years, I've been using Procyon. I will use Judsons rinse now and then. But 99.9% Procyon.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Richard,

• What does "free rinsing" mean beside a marketing term.
  • Any hard proof that protectants perform better after an acid rinse? As most rinses (alkaline, acid or from Mars) if used properly are so diluted as to hardly leave any residue anyhow.
  • And if so, what percentage of improvement?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No hard proof but my belief comes from using acid rinse on natural fibers both area rugs and upholstery. The end product feels better to the hand, no tackiness (for the lack of a better word)...as well as it many times also look brighter too.

So because of that experience, I'm assuming it's doing the same for synthetic fibers. Naturally if it is cleaner then it will be more receptive to holding the protectant when sprayed on. No scientific proof, I'm a carpet cleaner.......however I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Yea, my wife and I got into a fight about whether I should use an acid rinse or an alkaline on our carpet......and thus the stay at the Holiday Inn. :winky:

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I see the use of products like Dry Slurry.

However, if you wanted to rinse with something other than a detergent ... something that is truly a rinse ... but you also wanted some cleaning ability to the product ... is there a neutral or acid rinse available that fits that need? (Other than Judsons.)

Chemeisters Action Extraction is an acid rinse with cleaning ability. I run either that or Dry Slurry depending on the job.

I think my next order I'm going to try Prochem All Fiber Deep Clean i believe its supposed to have cleaning ability also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Acid Rinses tend to be more so residue free or perhaps the better terminology should be less soil attracting residue. However. Encapsulation rinses accomplish the same thing as well.

All that being said: We have used Formula 77 and 90 at 33% dilutions for heavier soils with out any extensive resoil. I've used Encap Punch (Releasit), and Peroxellent (vacaway) with very good results. I've used Judson's O2, Matrix All Fiber Rinse, Matrix Complete Rinse, Masterblend's Master Rinse, Masterblend's One Step, Masterblend RAGE, Masterblends Soap Free, Pro's Choice Oxygen Emulsifier, Planet Guard Carpet Cleaning Rinse. Masterblends Anti Allergen Rinse, and Saphire Scientifics Versa Clean, Matrix Finish First (formula 90), Prochem Dry Slurry and Matrix Impact... to name a few.

As of now: We keep Master Rinse on hand for all of our Rug Plant Cleaning. I tend to have a case of Planet Guard in stock Along with some TLC for the Green Cleaning. We have a contain of RAGE on hand for heavy hitting wool wall to wall. I have a container of the Judson O2 rinse but need to order more O2 prespray soon. And i've used the new Matrix Complete Rinse and find I like it quite a bit.

But Over all the results were similar in cleaning ability across many of the products. Using a quality prespray with dwell time and agitation and cleaning becomes a simple rinsing job with a little extra spotting. And having a product add a little more surfactancy is always going to help the cleaning process. The allkalkine rinses shine when you have moderate to severe soiling or lots of spotting and require a little more cleaning. This is where good emulsifier may pop out a spot that otherwise would require bending over with a spotter. I've tried most of these products on different soiling situations, and with presprays, and as a stand alone cleaners.

But typically I choose my arsenal based on what I'm cleaning.. like many have said, we keep two five gallon jugs on board. Typically one acidic in nature and one alkaline in
nature. Planet Guard provides good cleaning, doesn't leave a residue behind and can added a nice punch but lacks the solvency for oily spills that something like Dry slurry, or formula 90 or 77 Provide. The Oxygen addidtives like Peroxcellent, O2, oxygen release, and soap free tend to brighten textiles the best and tend to work well on the organic staining while you rinse but again can sometimes lack the Oil cleaning ability. Versa Clean Suprised me the most in how well it cleaned and being an encapsulation cleaner it does not leave a sticky residue behind.

So far Matrix Complete Rinse has done a good job but I'll see if it lives up to it claim of helping eliminate wicking and having zero sticky residues.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
.......however I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Yea, my wife and I got into a fight about whether I should use an acid rinse or an alkaline on our carpet......and thus the stay at the Holiday Inn. :winky:
I don't believe it.
Had that happened, no doubt you'd have ended in Motel 6.
Try again buster. :winky:

Name
Yohance
we use fiber rinse. But have always wanted to try dry slurry. Do any guys have a problem with using a detergent while rinseing without residue problem or stiff carpets.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
What do you use?

If you use water, ignore this thread.

I use water; what's wrong with that? Very rarely do I run an emulsifier in the rinse, and that would be to speed through a commercial job without preconditioning, It's only important what your prespray is whether acid, neutral or alkaline. FWR and lots of it flushes out your chemicals and the soil. What kind of rinse do you use in your laundry?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I tried rinsing with just water, I did not like the results as much as I liked with a mild diluted alkaline rinse.

If you mix a cup of say Procyon in a 5 gallon concentrate jug and meter at about 3, rinse well and retrieve as much water as you can, how much will you leave in a whole house's carpet? Maybe 1 teaspoon?
Wow!
And most will be vacuumed off.

Yes, an acid rinse does leave a softer hand, but that's it. My experience with acid rinse (approximately 3 years) the end results were not as good as with a mild alkaline rinse and the carpets stayed clean longer. With all my clients, some of which I have done more than 20 years now, carpets stay clean longer and no re soiling due to residue.

Art, if you rinse with water alone, that means that you need to use more pre-spray. The question is, which method will actually leave more residue? A heavier pre-spray with water rinse or much less pre-spray with a mild/diluted alkaline rinse? We seem to reach different conclusions.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We tried just tap water for years, even water that is soften didn't seem to make much of a difference compared to a detergent. When we used a detergent we had so many clients make statements as to how much better it cleaned this time. :eekk: We promptly switched to using a cleaner in the water and no longer fresh water or acid rinse.

This was thirty years ago and I think we put too much emphasis on leaving no residue and lost focus on appearance change from soiled to clean. I agree on mild rinse is probably your best balance, clean appearance and little soil attracting residue. Fortunately we clean mostly lightly soiled carpet when cleaning residential.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I believe I asked for the water rinse guys to scroll, didn't I? Good grief ...

I am not opposed to using Procyon again. I used it years ago and really liked it. My reasons for discontinuing it's use are well documented, but had nothing to do with it's cleaning, or rinsing ability. Where do you purchase it now?

I like Judson's rinse, but to tell you the truth, I have always been a bit concerned with just how well it actually rinses. Have you ever tried to wash out the measuring cup after using it to fill your jug? That stuff is like trying to rinse vaseline. It just keeps coming and coming until you finally get tired of trying to rinse the cup out. I love the smell of it, and have always just taken it on faith that it rinses out well after being diluted.

Jeff, at TCS, is telling me I need to consider using DFC 105. I have a gallon of this to test.

Alkaline, acid or a neutral rinse ... whatever ... I just want the product that rinses the best ... but there is probably no real way to test this, nor is there likely to be anyone on the planet that truly knows what actually rinses better. That's why I am interested in hearing what you guys use and why.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
A clean rinsing product is not defined by its alkalinity or acidity, but the remainder of the components which serve to rinse surfactant residues more efficiently than plain water can.

Water makes a decent rinse, provided you can tolerate its weaknesses. A good grease and oil emulsifying prespray will have rinse characteristics that if plain water is used, it will take very large volumes. In most cases, more volume than a HWE technician could use and avoid overwetting of the carpet backing.

A rinse product will use an "intermediate" or coupling surfactant, that while not a good degreaser, will couple oleophillic surfactant(sticky) residues to water very quickly, and with low volume of rinse. Such rinse surfactant is also chose for its residual characteristics, being that of non-soil-attractive, and easy to remove in the dry state with routine vacuuming.

With the advent of good encapsulation chemistry, some of these rinse products contain encap polymers, either alone, or in combination with rinse surfactants. Essentially, performing the same purpose, while adding a cleaning boost with the encapsulant.

Users of rinse agents should be asking specific questions of the vendor. First, ask what type of surfactant is present? Since nearly all of these products contain a pH modifier, they should also be asking what is being used there also.

By and large, presprays will be alkaline in nature, so in order to bring the carpet back to a preferred state (neutral to slightly acidic), hence most rinse type products with the aim to REMOVE bad residues, the rinse will be an acid. Some acids work great for pH correction, but are themselves a residue problem. Some organic acids are actually sticky when damp with typical room humidity. And some of these acids are actually used by formulators. The acid I prefer for a rinse is 2-hydroxyacetic Acid (not to be confused with acetic acid). HAA, also known as Glycolic acid, has virtually no odor, and its residue is rather innocuous on carpet.

When it comes to a rinse surfactant choice, the aim is for one that effectively couples water and grease cutting surfactants, but itself will dry to a brittle solid at room temp and humidity. A bad choice is a diluted cleaning surfactant, which some manufacturers actually do use (cost considerations). Their theory is that the rinse agent will leave a low residue, hopefully low enough to be an unnoticed soil attractor.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I think diluted the recommended ratio is the best thing you can do with any rinse. I have used a bunch of different stuff on my monthly accounts. Haven't really noticed a residue prob with anything.

I have always used CleanStreak or Powerstrike for the last 5 yrs as my Prespray for commercial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom