What Do You Think About This For ADVERTISING... Copy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dave Dave Dave, that's easy. SCUMBAG of course! :icon_razz:

Are hard surfaces really better? Dust that would normally be trapped by carpet now lands on hard surfaces.
Does it just stay there and wait for you to dust or swifter or Roomba?

HELL nooo, that shit goes everywhere every time someone walks by. It becomes aerosolized and breathed in. Those same irritants that the carpet was removed to improve IAQ, are now being processed by the homeowner. Mission accomplished? :eekk:

Carpet isn't the problem, carpet maintenance is. Vacuum regularly to "empty the sink" of contaminants. :yoda:

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Their problem is dirty appearing and/or smelling carpet. Convince them you can solve that problem without endangering their health or their pet's health.

Don't INVENT a problem that isn't there to try to get an edge, especially if you put into their heads that their carpet is a cesspool of bacteria and germs. Seriously, if they are "educated" that their carpet requires frequent, costly and inconvenient cleaning in order to keep them from being over run with disease they will just rip the stuff out and put down laminate.

Take care,
Lisa
ummm didn't you just rip the stuff out and put down laminate? :p

Beeks

Name
J.R.
I asked this question before, but didn't get an answer so I will try again. I am really curious about how some look at this. Marketing is about solving problems for our customers, Yes? How can you solve a problem if you don't acknowledge that there is a problem? If you use education based marketing, what are educating on if it is not solving problems?
well said, educate them, this info doesn't have to be a scare tactic, it can be whatever, its how its presented that's what is important

Name
Ty
what kind of response rates do folks over here expect from there direct mail/ flyer campaigns? I am curious what the majority of cleaners get, I have done a few post cards and know where my results are but I hear some really crazy response numbers from some that I don't really believe

Name
PHILIP NICK
Any advetising that in some way badmouths carpet is the reason tile and hardwood are replacing carpet. Its best to assert the benefits of maintaining your carpet etc. while not giving carpet a bad rap.

Reactions: truckmount girl

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I watch those shows on cable "Property Virgins" and people hate carpet. :hopeless: They think it's unsanitary and dirty and that's the first thing they replace when they purchase.

I grew up with hardwoods, they are cold, hard, noisy and dusty. Carpet is some much nicer, soft, warmer, quieter and traps the dust and soil.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
ummm didn't you just rip the stuff out and put down laminate? :p

Not yet, but soon. Am going to put down vinyl....but then I have a retirement home for 14 geriatric, special needs and hospice dogs, so my situation isn't the norm.

d3b6630f-aeca-47c9-b767-96836a33055f_zps279d0e0c.jpg

take care,
Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I know, I was just giving it to you. :p

You are a far better person than I, doing all you do.

But then, that's not saying much, you were a far better person to begin with! :very_drunk: :headbang:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
what kind of response rates do folks over here expect from there direct mail/ flyer campaigns? I am curious what the majority of cleaners get, I have done a few post cards and know where my results are but I hear some really crazy response numbers from some that I don't really believe

Let me take a wild guess where that info came from....

In between .2% - .6% for drops of 10k postcards
Yes we did have higher numbers like 1% or even higher on small 250-500 letter writing campaigns with hand written address. Have any idea how long that takes?

So, its not always that people lie on the internet but they do not always account for their labor or true cost.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Ohh and the whole point of this thread was to break through those numbers but it went to all friggin hell.

Mikey P

Administrator

To non clients?

1% if you're lucky for the first mail out.

3 to 4% a series of mail outs.

Name
Ty
3-4% from your existing clients right?

I have put out a nice little handfull of postcards and I am right under .5% for new clients, to be honest my dumb ass needs to start sending to existing clients, still haven't but I get a ton out to non clients, guess I should work on that

Name
Jimmy
My first posting here, Shane came out and said, why don't you offer something instead of just speaking entirely in abstract about everything. So, I created the piece we are ALL privileged to have witnessed in this thread.

And while the majority of people can always pick out everything that's horrible about it, wouldn't we all add more value to people if those with the capability of flaming this could in fact offers different variations on how to take away the scare tactics and still use marketing that would work?

Here's a case study I found with some real numbers that you guys can bite into. Note that Shane requested I come up with something for 40+ year old business women who are very limited on time, this piece is going after the same demographic in a "gentler" way.

View attachment 2507

Notes from the case study page

It conveys a:
• Headline relating to the prospect's situation
• Graphic that supports the message
• Solution to the prospect's dilemma

Mailing List:
Homes in proximity to their two locations.

Mailing Schedule:
1,000 postcards per week for each location.

Cost of campaign: $800 per week

Estimated ROI: $5,000 over the life of one new customer (averages 3-4 new customers per week).

Breakdown of numbers per 1 location

1,000 postcards / $400.00 = $2.50/per piece.

2 Customers = 1,000 x 0.2% conversion rate.

The conversion rate is obviously missing leads generated, since it's only taking into account total customers generated. Maybe their inbound sales capabilities suck!

Maybe we could veer this thread back on track by discussing how this piece could be improved.

Thanks,

James

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Jimmy
BTW, since I can't comment, we do need a conversion rate on leads generated from this piece.

So, what is the average conversion rate of leads to customers from your guys' direct mail pieces? 80%?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
BTW, since I can't comment, we do need a conversion rate on leads generated from this piece.

So, what is the average conversion rate of leads to customers from your guys' direct mail pieces? 80%?

.08% would be more realistic. Direct mail is a tough game. That is why most mainly mail to their existing client base to receive more work from them. Increase frequency and to spur referrals from their friends. It's easier and more effective to open a door to someone you already have an existing relationship with or to have a friend of theirs open the door for you. That is why I prefer to work referral groups, associations, co-workers and clubs that to advertise cold with a shot gun approach.

Name
Jimmy
Whoops, I meant conversion rate on leads generated to customers.

The piece above generates 2 customers a month per location on average.

But, it fails to mention how many leads the piece generates itself.

Maybe it's generating 10 leads, they're only closing 2 of them, so only a 20% close rate on the inbound calls.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My first posting here, Shane came out and said, why don't you offer something instead of just speaking entirely in abstract about everything. So, I created the piece we are ALL privileged to have witnessed in this thread.

And while the majority of people can always pick out everything that's horrible about it, wouldn't we all add more value to people if those with the capability of flaming this could in fact offers different variations on how to take away the scare tactics and still use marketing that would work?

Here's a case study I found with some real numbers that you guys can bite into. Note that Shane requested I come up with something for 40+ year old business women who are very limited on time, this piece is going after the same demographic in a "gentler" way.

View attachment 2507

It conveys a:

Mailing List:

Mailing Schedule:

Estimated ROI: $5,000 over the life of one new customer (averages 3-4 new customers per week).

The conversion rate is obviously missing leads generated, since it's only taking into account total customers generated. Maybe their inbound sales capabilities suck!

Maybe we could veer this thread back on track by discussing how this piece could be improved.

Thanks,

James

See thats what i was thinking about when i first asked you to write something!
Like that!!!!

Try again...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
His example illustrates how Direct Mail can be very tough or a losing game to mail to cold clients. The piece generates 3-4 clients per week and cost $800-. So, that's $229 in advertising cost alone per client. Add in labor costs and all other business costs and you will have to turn every job into $400 or more to just break even. This high cost can work with House cleaning where the clients are converted into perpetual monthly accounts or bi-monthly accounts. But, in carpet cleaning most residential clients will only clean once per year (At best) or only clean when they are moving or selling and you will never see them again. You can't rely on the BS of the lifetime value of a client. Because if you are losing money on jobs your business won't be around very long.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I like the Merry Maids postcard. Simple, to the point, not too wordy. But it makes me want to kick the guy's butt in the background with the TV remote in hand while she's cleaning.....LOL.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I like the Merry Maids postcard. Simple, to the point, not too wordy. But it makes me want to kick the guy's butt in the background with the TV remote in hand while she's cleaning.....LOL.

Take care,
Lisa

It looks like he is controlling Her with the remote. .........I should get one of those. That woman has a Stetford wife glaze in her eyes and how does she clean without looking at what she is doing?

Last edited:

WI Mike

Name
Mike
How about 10 words & a number?

"We Help Busy Homeowners Who Struggle To Find The
Time To Keep Their Carpets Clean, Get Fresh, Healthy
Carpets & Upholstery In As Little As 3 Hours While
Providing Our Flexible Scheduling Guarantee. " This is too convoluted to be a headline or a USP. Keep working on it. Can you get in down to 10 words or even less?

"Busy Homeowner? Want clean carpets in about 3 hours?
Guaranteed scheduling."

Mike

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Good Grief....

For direct mail tile has always worked better for us or putting carpet/tile on each side. Mainly stuck to affluent/professional neighborhoods and repeated monthly 6 min, still never felt like it was a homerun ever. More incremental, going forward probably wouldn't do it without follow up email blasts to same target.

Name
Jimmy
"Busy Homeowner? Want clean carpets in about 3 hours?
Guaranteed scheduling."

Mike

That's good. I think "in about" lacks specificity, because that could mean up to 3 and a half hours to someone like me. Also, by precurosing "in as little as", you're not actually stuck to the number when you go to give a quote.

More incremental, going forward probably wouldn't do it without follow up email blasts to same target.

I didn't even suggest this sort of thing after seeing peoples reaction to Joe Polish type marketing. I thought everyone would hate anything remotely perceived as SPAM!

How do you capture their e-mails? If you want to increase your lead gen from your initial mail piece, absolutely send them to a landing page to opt-in for something of value... question is for what? It also allows the direct mail piece to do less work by just working on arousing curiosity in the prospect, instead of selling them to actually pick up the phone and commit.

Direct Mail -> Landing Page (E-Mail Capture) -> Auto responder -> Follow up phone call -> Customer fo' life!

More drawn out, but it would definitely increase total conversion rates.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun

View attachment 2507

It conveys a:

Mailing List:

Mailing Schedule:

Thanks,

James

$.80 per postcard seems high to me. What is your printing cost and what mailing system are you using? Have you looked into Every Door Direct Mail? I think you should be able to get your per piece rate lower then that.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
That's good. I think "in about" lacks specificity, because that could mean up to 3 and a half hours to someone like me. Also, by precurosing "in as little as", you're not actually stuck to the number when you go to give a quote.

I didn't even suggest this sort of thing after seeing peoples reaction to Joe Polish type marketing. I thought everyone would hate anything remotely perceived as SPAM!

How do you capture their e-mails? If you want to increase your lead gen from your initial mail piece, absolutely send them to a landing page to opt-in for something of value... question is for what? It also allows the direct mail piece to do less work by just working on arousing curiosity in the prospect, instead of selling them to actually pick up the phone and commit.

Direct Mail -> Landing Page (E-Mail Capture) -> Auto responder -> Follow up phone call -> Customer fo' life!

More drawn out, but it would definitely increase total conversion rates.

Often what is given is the Free Room of cleaning or on-line the Free Report. The is just reasons to use your company that is said to be a Un-biased report you wrote. You can also a free bottle of miracle spot cleaner with estimate or appointment reservation. You are right even shortened that headline is too convoluted. How about: We make Carpet Cleaning easy on your time. Then you can get into busy schedules with the copy or how you can even clean without your client even being home. Or they can leave and play while you clean. I have been selling this message for almost 30 years. The only finger a client should lift is the one to give you a call or e-mail. When they return from work, they can enter into a sparkling clean fresh smelling home from a company they can trust.

Name
Jimmy
Whoops, you're right, had the equation the wrong way round there.

But, it would work out to .40 cents a piece.

This isn't mine, it's a case study I found that's closely related to what we were trying to do here.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I know this is a little sexist, but I have used Merry Maids for years and years and my cleaning ladies have never looked anything like the woman in the ad. She looks more like a customer than a maid. It is typically a very low paying career so attracts a much lower socio-demographic person to that line of work.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I know this is a little sexist, but I have used Merry Maids for years and years and my cleaning ladies have never looked anything like the woman in the ad. She looks more like a customer than a maid. It is typically a very low paying career so attracts a much lower socio-demographic person to that line of work.

The picture in the ad was supposed to represent your target client. The woman that comes to do the cleaning is likely a very short Hispanic woman with a slight limp and smells of old cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom