what new comp to buy

Beeks

Name
J.R.
my computer is taking a dump on me, and i know i could probably get it fixed, but i want a new one, so since im working more on my business then in it these days, for the line of work we are in what would be the most helpful type of computer to purchase?

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
I currently run a hp laptop w/ windows 7
And dell PC w/ vista

Although I really need a Mac :)

It's on the back burner for now but that's what my sights are set on.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
im leaning toward the i7processor samsung 27inch monitor all in one comp, but the apple 27inch i5 processor is also on my list, its down to these two as of now, but maybe i should look at these hp's you guys are talking about trying to stay under $1700

Name
Eric Valentine
What are you wanting to do with the PC? Just business, gaming, watching videos, making/editing videos, home theater (hooked to a huge ass TV), or a combination of these scenarios?

FredC

Village Idiot
people that can't build their own and aren't gamers, graphic artist, or video producers I usually recommend go to http://dell.com

a close 5th would be http://hp.com

and if they wear women's underwear or like to consider themselves trendy.................http://www.apple.com/

Last edited:

Beeks

Name
J.R.
What are you wanting to do with the PC? Just business, gaming, watching videos, making/editing videos, home theater (hooked to a huge ass TV), or a combination of these scenarios?

business and making/editing videos, not a gamer no time for that these days...

Beeks

Name
J.R.
I think my laptop was under $800

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

already have a perfectly running lap top and ipad2, its just my desktop is full of virus and about 7 years old, time for a new one.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
people that can't build their own and aren't gamers, graphic artist, or video producers I usually recommend go to http://dell.com

a close 5th would be http://hp.com

and if they wear women's underwear or like to consider themselves trendy.................http://www.apple.com/

hmm, seems im falling into the third option...no but seriously whats wrong with the apple comp, besides being trendy? Is it a good computer, i have heard from many that have it that it is a quality desktop, one has had it for about 7 years and it still working fine...

Answerphone

Name
Jeff
my computer is taking a dump on me, and i know i could probably get it fixed, but i want a new one, so since im working more on my business then in it these days, for the line of work we are in what would be the most helpful type of computer to purchase?

Computer nerd reporting for duty sir! I just got done with my "Juggernaut" build (I prefer to build my computers from scratch). I'm happy to help you design the perfect computer for your needs.

The important thing is there are a lot more stuff that computers can do these days. I'll give you an example. I "Juggy" as my home media server, a web server, an application development server, an offsite backup server, a trading platform, gaming, and a lot of other stuff.
Behold! The Juggernaut:
163505_10100816033250178_1511724314_n.jpg

We're talking 4.5 Terabytes of Storage, 64 Gigabytes of Ram, 1 Terabyte of Raid 0 Configured Solid State Drives, 2 GTX 680 Crossfired Graphics Cards, The Intel DR79SR motherboard and i7-3820 chip with a water cooling system capable of being overclocked to 5.5 gHz on windows 7 ultimate. MOoooohahahahahahaa!!!

The real question is, are you just going to use it for business or not? Does it need to be portable? Where will it be housed - home or work?

If you're just looking to use it for business and want to be boring :p - save some money, and get a refurbished one on ebay. They're half the price of what you'll get in the big box stores. It's all I buy for our company because they come with the full factory warranty. Probably bought 30-40 desktops and only had 1 that showed up DOA, and just sent it off to the provider and they sent me a new one. I recommend the dell inspiron series with the i5 (or i3 minimum) chip. Then get a refurbished 23" monitor - the dell st2220lc. You can get the complete system for ~$400-500 refurbished, where as it would be about $1000 new.

Last edited:

Answerphone

Name
Jeff
PS...Juggernaut was about a $2000 build. So you can probably get a pretty dang kick ass system for $1700. Not to poo poo the HPs but I've owned a few and not been happy with their laptops durability (actually owned about 4). My dell studio 17 I've had for the better part of 4 years now. NEVER had a hiccup. I've also had HP desktops as well - I can say that I've found the dell desktops superior as well. I believe the HPs may be a tad cheaper though.

Which i7 processor are you looking at? There are certain ones you can overclock, and certain one's you can't (not that you'd ever really need to, but I like tinkering with my computers).

Answerphone

Name
Jeff
Actually apple (mac) is the standard when it comes to video editing/graphic design. They take some additional time to learn and can seem alien if you've been using windows your whole life though. You'll run into fewer issues with viruses on an apple though which is another bonus. If you plan on doing a lot of video editing make sure you have a lot of memory & a good video card.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I just bought a Apple MacBook Pro. 13 inch i7 512SSD and 8 gig if ram last week. Still getting at use to but mostly got the hang of it. The only problem I know of is Quickbooks Web Connector is not made for Mac which sucks if you use Service Monster like I do. Service Monster is running just fine thru Parallels.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
thanks for all the helpful info Jeff, I am mainly looking for a new desktop for my office for business purposes, i would like to be able to edit videos, do a few things at once, just a normal life of a business man working on his business type of comp nothing super crazy.

The i7's i have been looking at are the samsung all in one and the asus all in one, heard the asus is similar to HP as they were the ones making the "guts" for the hp units in the past, then cut out the middle man and did it them selves, is this true?

Going to make my decision soon, would have already purchased the asus all in one but they are sold out in stores and online at moment, so im waiting it out, but would love to hear another opinion on it.

Answerphone

Name
Jeff
Really depends on the individual model you're looking at because the components come from all over. I seem to remember there being a connection between Asus and Best Buy - though i may be confusing Asus with Acer. As far as I know, Asus is it's own company completely separate from HP, so you'll have to look at the individual components on the models your considering to really see what's in the guts of the machines. Should have everything listed in the specs section of each machine. Sorry, probably not much help, but good luck with the purchase :)

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I prefer my Mac but it does not do well with service monster and some other web based apps. So for me I figure my pc is 18 to 24 months. I went to Costco and purchased a bundle (windows 8 tower, monitor, key board, and speakers). Use it just for business under $700.00. Did not get the touch screen but it works for me. More and more they are just disposal as they become outdated so soon.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
I prefer my Mac but it does not do well with service monster and some other web based apps. So for me I figure my pc is 18 to 24 months. I went to Costco and purchased a bundle (windows 8 tower, monitor, key board, and speakers). Use it just for business under $700.00. Did not get the touch screen but it works for me. More and more they are just disposal as they become outdated so soon.

so i went with the iMac 27inch i5 comp. I have it next to my pc as i will use both from time to time.

my question is what apps are essential to get.

I feel i need Microsoft office on here as i have imported a lot of stuff from PC that need word and excel to open properly. Also what about photoshop?

hook me up mac guys

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I would suggest office 365. Photoshop is just a matter of what you want to do or you could use Gimp. I also bought adobe acrobat so I can work with PDF files more in depth but I also get and educators discount and paid 120.00.

so i went with the iMac 27inch i5 comp. I have it next to my pc as i will use both from time to time.

my question is what apps are essential to get.

I feel i need Microsoft office on here as i have imported a lot of stuff from PC that need word and excel to open properly. Also what about photoshop?

hook me up mac guys

Reactions: Beeks

Beeks

Name
J.R.
just going to chime in and say Windows fooking BLOWS.

yea i heard that people were having a lot of issues with it. It was to "advanced" for its own good. Another reason why i ended up going with the mac.

EDS

Name
Ed
agreed. Have 27inch iMac and macbook air. Supposedly Service Monster is not compatible with mac YET. I dont know if that is a problem for you or not. Never had a virus yet from mac. This is what I want next...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom