When and where do you use an Alkaline rinse?

Mikey P

Administrator
Pretty much just restaurants for my Scruz team and I.

We dont see many gooey apartments so Flex Ice is our fave.

I saw this Esteam Product in an email today, I bet that liquid gallon is super heavy at those dilution rates. We still have a #45 pounder to go though but I'd like to give it a try. Pretty sure Ray at CMS has it.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad74

EDS

Name
Ed
I always use an acid rinse but thats because I use a nuclear pre-spray. The application is where I have my control. Used to use Fabset but then Flex Ice came out. Acid used to be my second biggest re-occuring cost behind gas. Blue shoe covers were a close third.

EDIT: I NEVER USE AN ALKALINE RINSE.

Reactions: Chris Howell

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I think Saiger always uses a alkaline rinse and when he tests the carpet it is a ph of 7?
Not sure how this works. Could be wrong but I think I remember him saying that somewhere.

EDS

Name
Ed
I use a high ph product for my pre-spray so I have to run a acid to bring the carpets back to neutrality. Now that I am hitting all the fundamentals of carpet cleaning...was talking to Ron and am thinking of changing it up to something more marketable...

But have enough things on my plate right now...

Reactions: Chris Howell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have always used an alkaline rinse. Prespray is aprox 10 ph, rinse is about the same. Carpets come out close to neutral due to the lack of buffering in the chemistry (our water averages at about 6-6.5ph). Most acid rinses that I have tried have not had much cleaning power. I haven't tried Flex Ice and at this stage, have no desire to do so. With good chemistry, combined with agitation and the heat of a good truck mount, you don't need those nuclear bomb presprays anymore. Having a good cleaning rinse metered through your truck gives you an advantage when you come to those heavily soiled areas. You can rinse several times and get improved results without having to re prespray the area. The main concern with any rinse metered through truck or portable is that it must not leave a sticky residue. Acid rinses can cause corrosion problems with certain types of equipment. Mikey, I have used the liquid cbs from esteam and it does work well in trashed apts. and the like. I still have a gallon in the shop that I bring for portable cleaning when I think the Procyon isn't up to the job. I have had the same gallon jug for a year and it is still half full.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Jeff T
Pretty much just restaurants for my Scruz team and I.

We dont see many gooey apartments do Flex Ice is our fave.

I saw this Esteam Product in an email today, I bet that liquid gallon is super heavy at those dilution rates. We still have a #45 pounder to go though but I'd like to give it a try. Pretty sure Ray at CMS has it.

View attachment 70309
It's ok...... Defiantly not the best.... It's what I used all the time before I was 'awakened'......it smells like chemical citrus...... I used to have some clients complain......

EDS

Name
Ed
All my brass fittings corroded out underneath my portable from acid...it sucked replacing them...but then again I did it myself...

Name
Jeff T
And how, if you want to apply protector, do you get the carpet back to neutral, or slightly acid state? Do you go over it again with an acid rinse? Do you post mist with a pump up? not being sarcastic, I'm really curious..... Guess I'm with Ed......

Reactions: EDS

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
pH is not as much of an enemy of protector bonding as is surfactant residue.

But even at that, most alkaline detergents used through truck mounts are diluted at 256:1. Unless over used, they are unlikely to interfere with the bonding of a flourochemical protector. Consider how little actual detergent, if diluted that much, would be left after your equipment extracts most water, soil, and detergent.

Acid rinsing and pH neutralization are important in cleaning natural fiber upholstery, wool rugs and carpet, and nylon carpet if the pH of your prespray is particularly brutal. But with the three "polys", not so much.

stanco

Mike
I agree completely with what Jim Pemberton said.
I have done my share of testing over the years, and I firmly believe that a well formulated and moderate ph emulsifier will not leave enough noticeable residue that will effect resoiling.
I have always liked a balanced approach to my chemistry. An under 10 ph prespray followed by a rinse with the same ph has always worked.
Emulsifiers get so diluted in the rinse that it really is a non issue.
The bigger issue is heavy surfactant in the prespray that is not completely rinsed.
I've compared the look of the carpet on a regular repeat customers carpet both with acid rinse and emulsifier and can't tell any difference.
The big advantage of emulsifier rinse is usually a lot less moisture and heat is used to clean, making it easier on the carpet.
Although acid rinse does have it's place, for me it's usually a problem carpet or a correction situation.
Hope that helps a little!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
If less powerful equipment ....probably going to run the acid rinses more...(and for other reasons too)

We run alkaline (Harvard Heavy Duty Liquid Extraction Rinse) that has some of the SS1 chemistry in past year also added....BUT....

There are times we are also using acid rinses too.

Fine Fabrics of any nature Acid rinse....fast easy change out and bleed out the TM lines....

We also are NOT mixing our Alkaline rinse heavy....probably on the lighter side and we also use soft water, so less Chems needed.

Most of our Chemistry also has Chelating agents.... which help bind with metal ions in the water to soften and condition the water (and many other companies I am sure are also putting this chemistry in their products)

We try to balance the entire package of chemistry and cleaning unit with our cleaning company in the family.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Just on really dirty commercial. We use PC all fiber deep clean most of the time

stanco

I always acid rinse fine fabrics and wool, just not worth the risk.
I also mix my emulsifier at about half strenth.
Prochem ultra pac and dry slurry are a great cleaning combo as well as very low residue.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Mostly on CGD and really really nasty stuff. Seems to help lift a little more when extracting.

I try to clean Clean Carpets so mostly just use the Acid side for All Fibers

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Groom solutions " Vibrant" no odor so you can use it when people request NO soap . : )

F

FB7777

I know this is sacrilege but I typical don't use a rinse now

I've had more problems with build up and corrosion when running alkaline or acids as a rinse

As Forrest Gump would say... " good, one less thing "

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom