when it rains it just flat pours.........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
froze the thremalwave pump........

been really sick for the last few days.....damn flu has almost put me in the hospital.....
also have a nasty infection on the side of my thumb that has not been helping matters any.....
so needless to say I have not been keeping up on what has been going on with the weather and there should of been heaters in the trucks last night....

sure enough.....froze the thermalwave...but the 570 is in great shape.....cant say I understand why one did and one did not.....but at this point I guess it really does not matter......I put a heater in both trucks and hopefully I can slowly thaw out the thermalwave and it will be OK....if not I have a spare pump.......so when I am feeling better I will just switch them out then rebuild it........

Able 1

Name
Keith
How cold did it get? I bet you'll be fine... My trucks have froze a couple times. The first thing to go is (on Prochem units) the low pressure HX.

I had mine freeze pretty solid with 250 hours on my first rig and that pump lasted me 4,000 hours with only one seal kit.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
How cold did it get? I bet you'll be fine... My trucks have froze a couple times. The first thing to go is (on Prochem units) the low pressure HX.

I had mine freeze pretty solid with 250 hours on my first rig and that pump lasted me 4,000 hours with only one seal kit.

my area got down to about 29 to 30........but I don't know for how long.......

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
If your not taking care of yourself Jim, everything will go all to hell buddy.

Take Care,
Chris

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If your not taking care of yourself Jim, everything will go all to hell buddy.

Take Care,
Chris

lol....I take care of myself......just wish the people that we clean for would cancel there appointments when they get sick so I am not around it......

the thumb thing was just a weird turn of events........

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
lol....I take care of myself......just wish the people that we clean for would cancel there appointments when they get sick so I am not around it......

the thumb thing was just a weird turn of events........

You Don't Kid me!

Quit yur whinening, take some meds and get better!

Chris

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I cant see it freezing at 29 or 30. I forgot to close the garage door a couple nights ago and it got down to 25 and was just fine. Do you live in the mountains or somthing? was it outside in 30 degree weather for a prolonged amount of time? one evening spent in the cold probly wouldnt freeze it inside the van

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
my area got down to about 29 to 30........but I don't know for how long.......

wow...I'm surprised it froze ..unless at that temp for LONG periods of time...like DAYS and not just over night .
if just over night, I'd be very surprised if you have any damage ...AS LONG AS...you didn't engage the pump

as to why one froze and not the other...do you use different emulsifiers in them?
My unit is siphon feed , so there is alkaline detergent in the system ...I'm "guessing" some have "some kind" of salts in them??
, cause I've noticed some have a lower freeze point than 32

Matter of fact, I neglected to check the heater before, came out on 23 degree morning to discover the heater was never on :icon_redface::eekk:
looked in the emulsion tank and there was no ice

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I cant see it freezing at 29 or 30. I forgot to close the garage door a couple nights ago and it got down to 25 and was just fine. Do you live in the mountains or somthing? was it outside in 30 degree weather for a prolonged amount of time? one evening spent in the cold probly wouldnt freeze it inside the van

both mine sit out side......and they haven't moved or been started for a few days.....so 29 to 30 can freeze them......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
wow...I'm surprised it froze ..unless at that temp for LONG periods of time...like DAYS and not just over night .
if just over night, I'd be very surprised if you have any damage ...AS LONG AS...you didn't engage the pump

as to why one froze and not the other...do you use different emulsifiers in them?
My unit is siphon feed , so there is alkaline detergent in the system ...I'm "guessing" some have "some kind" of salts in them??
, cause I've noticed some have a lower freeze point than 32

Matter of fact, I neglected to check the heater before, came out on 23 degree morning to discover the heater was never on :icon_redface::eekk:
looked in the emulsion tank and there was no ice

..L.T.A.

it seems to get much colder in the back of the box truck then what it gets in the van.....not sure if that is where the difference is....(?).

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it seems to get much colder in the back of the box truck then what it gets in the van.....not sure if that is where the difference is....(?).

could be.
One thought to comes to mind..the van is all steel and maybe a better conductor of the day time desert sun ...so it's warmer and takes longer to cool when the sun goes down compared to the box????

..L.T.A.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Jim hope u get well SOON. With that temp I think the pump will be fine once thawed out. I frozen my stuff s couple of times (both for your reason) truck setting idle for the weekend. I put a salamander in it and heated it up to 90-100 degrees for couple of hours and everything was ok

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
It has been a pain this year with heaters here in New Jersey. Thinking about getting a building next year.
Get better soon and best of luck with the trucks!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Same here.....I leave mine outside during the day in mid 20's weather, and never had a freeze up. My system is full of Procyon rinse....which is mostly sodium.

hogjowl

Idiot™
29 degrees probably wouldn't freeze my pump, but it might freeze my dwyer meter. I bet it's not frozen solid. Wouldn't surprise me if you thaw it out and everything works fine.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Whats up Jim, the suspense is killing me. Did it survive or not??

Get better bro, tis the season for Aholes 2 spread the crud.

Magic One

Jim, take the solution QD off from the front of theTM, so the water will drain out when it thaws. Less damage that way. Done it before with little damage. Good luck

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
It has been a pain this year with heaters here in New Jersey. Thinking about getting a building next year...
Having a building to park the trucks in during a Colorado winter just changed my whole attitude toward doing business in winter. Quite aside from the constant freezing danger it was just so nice for restocking and cleaning.

Steve

PS I'm all about keeping the fixed overhead low. But sometimes you need to bite the bullet and the increased efficiency and additional work you can do make it more than worthwhile.

F

FB7777

Any update Jim?

Sometimes its just a partially frozen line out on the jobs when the weather is in the low teens or single digits .

Especially the exposed steel braided that freeze first for me. A few cleaning days out here in Mass have caused freeze line problems.

Never blown a CAT pump fortunately , thanks to my heated garage

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Any update Jim?

Sometimes its just a partially frozen line out on the jobs when the weather is in the low teens or single digits .

Especially the exposed steel braided that freeze first for me. A few cleaning days out here in Mass have caused freeze line problems.

Never blown a CAT pump fortunately , thanks to my heated garage

I put heaters in it all day yesterday and last night......started it up yesterday afternoon and there are about 4 small drips coming from different places....got some ice out of the lines.....I don't panic to much with small drips when the weather is cold...normally the o-rings and seals harden up a bit in this weather and when the machine warms up they go away.....

It seems like it is OK.....not feeling 100% but good enough that I am going to put it to work today....whats the worst that can happen......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just keep an eye on the leaks, my experience has always been once the the brass has fatigued or stressed from freezing it fails. When it fails can be right off the first time she gets hot or much later down the road, even clear into the summer.

Granted our freezing is usually due to much colder weather and for more extended lengths of time.

Hope you feel better soon, I just got over two weeks with a cold. I finally feel like myself again!

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
hey man, did you get your flu shot this season? Got mine at walgreens a few months back and haven't had a single sniffle.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
hey man, did you get your flu shot this season? Got mine at walgreens a few months back and haven't had a single sniffle.

no way in hell I will get a flu shot....I don't get sick but once every 3 to 4 years....but when I do it just kicks my ass........

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Glad to hear that you and the TM are up are running. Hope you continue to get better!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea I got my Flu shot and had the flu for a couple of days in December. The cold got me much worse but our weather is just bouncing from teens to as his as 70's this winter.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
no way in hell I will get a flu shot....I don't get sick but once every 3 to 4 years....but when I do it just kicks my ass........

I had the shot two week before I got the flu. Then I had Tamiflu and it still kicked my ass. Mainly I just couldn't breath. When I laid down It was even worse. Choking and coughing. I went 4 days with out sleeping (because of the choking and coughing ) then for the next 4-5 days I was only able to get 2 at best 2 hours of sleep per day. I still only took 5 days of working. That thing sticks around 2-3 weeks. Hope for your speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom