Where in-line do you place your lint filter?

Mikey P

Administrator
on our Judson we have been placing it at the end of the fifty foot run of 2.5.

I've had issues with plastic filters collapsing a bit and Larry thinks if I ran it a few feet from the truck it would be less of a strain on the filter..... ?

is there a performance boost in one location over the other?

Are you OK with having the filter in the customers home?

I just shot a video on the subject and am waiting for it to download.

Ron K

Five foot from Machine.

Why would it "belong" in the back of the truck?

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
My filter is about 8 feet from the truck. Seems to be ok at that location. I don't like it to be in the customers home, although some want me to dump my water at the street so they can see how dirty their carpets were. But of course I tell them I can't do that.

Reactions: Mikey P

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have a 8 footer of 2.5 inch coming off the tank, then the filter. My filters never collapse but I have them split apart at the seam every 4-5 months. Getting tired of buying new filters. Looking for something new.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
is there a performance boost in one location over the other?

less turbulence in the hose when you keep the filter out of the middle of the hose run .
More efficient the closer the filter is to vac port

plus it's right there at the the truck to clean w/courtesy hose or fresh water supply line .
maybe the monkeybutts won't be beating/banging the chit out of the stainless filter then too..and it will last longer

the stailess filters split at the seams prematurely for two reasons ....monkeybutts beating/banging on them, and/or not clearing them often enough

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
how long did you run it after you finished...

two things about the filter...which is really just one thing

The large diameter is going to slow the velocity of the airflow so that the water is no longer suspended in the airstream.
The filter itself is going to cause the water to "drop" from the stream

Obviously in a waste tank this isn't a problem because that is where you want the water to be "dropped"....midway through the hose...not so much

Not sure most would consider a little water an issue...but

I don't think making these things with huge diameters is best for performance....of course you want less restriction through large filter surface area and you can only make them so long....but i think the happy medium is found in a smaller tapered case

jmfho

PS...the HF pool filter seems to demonstrate the same issue, sans leaking, in your video....it appears to be 1/4 full of water?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Just one more comment on the "innovation" subject as whole

There are many people who have introduced things that are innovative to this industry without having a fundamental understanding of why/how they work.....

OR DON'T in some circumstances but their rudimentary understanding causes them to extrapolate............

the one that strikes me as most descriptive of this phenomenon is Greenie saying that 300CFM is 300cfm
Junk Science plain and simple.

2" hose does NOT have a higher velocity than 2.5" hose.

300 cfm is 300 cfm, it does not travel any faster through a 2" conduit than it does through a 2.5" conduit, it just travels with LESS friction through the larger conduit, therefor PRESERVING available LIFT at the tool.

that is one of the absolute dumbest fvckin things I've ever seen on ANY forum....but it is indicative of the "innovators"....then they wonder why somebody took their idea and made it better........

no...you won't see any FC99s...I've already ran the numbers.........

you might however see a "this is how you make your own" so you don't have to hope your supplier took his meds that day

Last edited:
K

KP

Hey, Nick can make you a tank with the funnel bottom for that thing.:clap:Leave the filter at the van.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Our first leader hooks in just outside the back doors of the rig, this is where we put ours. 8-10' from the tank.

I wouldn't dare run it inside the custy's home for multiple reasons!

#1 Being: Not everyone enjoys seeing the catch of the day.

I'm bored so

300cfm achieved using 1.5" input
300cfm achieved using 2" input
300cfm achieved using 2.5" input
blah blah blah

300cfm achieved using 4" input

Now we are talking Volume
The diameter of the hose determines the volume of air being pulled at 300cfm ;)

Last edited:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
My machine came with a filter basket in the tank. Never understood the point of adding an external filter.

Hey Larry, what's a "courtesy hose".

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
My machine came with a filter basket in the tank. Never understood the point of adding an external filter.

SImpler clean up. I hate having to crack the lid boys sheewie.

Shorter attachment hose?

Reactions: SamIam

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Mine is hanging on a hook inside of the side doors. I think they work better if they are in a vertical position and if you clean them often (more that once a day). BTW: Don't beat the schit out of the screen and they last longer.

Reactions: GCCLee

Mikey P

Administrator
.the HF pool filter seems to demonstrate the same issue, sans leaking, in your video....it appears to be 1/4 full of water?

No water in there, I was only doing vacuum/sound and feel comparisons but yes, water does pool at the bottom of these inline filters.

that being said, if I did a 100 ft run from the Vortex sans filter and a 100 ft run with the Judson the dry times would be about the same. Stretch it out to 200 feet and their would be no comparison. But that ain't because of the filter

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Johnny....courtesy hose is just a fresh water hose right from your incoming water supply. Mine is T'd off of the hose from the water softner, keep it looped on the side door for filling jugs, sprayers, and cleaning out filters.

My Genesis also has intank filter. Screw the inline filter (unless you have a nasty ass rat nasty). Go to Rite Aid, watch for the 1/2 off sales, and buy panty hose to install on your intank filter basket. This keeps a direct and undisturbed flow right to the tank filter. You might go through a few pair a day, but it takes a minute to change out, and if the custy want's to see what came out of their carpet, give them the filled up pantyhose. (also great for collecting up all that change that gets vacc'd up during a cleaning....you might even find a diamond or 2 or a ring that the custy has been looking for)

I know there are a few MB'ers here that distain the use of pantyhose. They're cheap, easy, and don't take up storage space for a filter. Also, inline filters can be a PITA during the friggin' cold temps here in the Midwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I got hot and cold courtesy hoses. Reckon I'm double courteous.

Last edited:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
No water in there, I was only doing vacuum/sound and feel comparisons but yes, water does pool at the bottom of these inline filters.

I think a cone shaped inlet side (built like a funnel) would help with the water pooling on any filter. Might even speed airflow a little. I know with mine I unhook the outgoing hose from the filter and hold it straight up in the air while the truck is running to empty it of all water before unhooking it.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
50 feet 2,5 hose then 2 " hose. 25 feet to keep it out of house, Blue sapphire box works great for us.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
As long as you don't have what I call a step down filter meaning going from say 2.5 van side to 2.0 job side you could leave it out by truck/van
But if you have a 4 2 door filter or 2.5 to 2.0 you would want it as close to the wand that is in reason like front porch or just inside entry door. The purpose of this is to keep to smaller dia hose to as short as possible.
On my setup I don't like anymore than 50' of 2.0 to the wand if at all possible.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I got hot and cold courtesy hoses. Reckon I'm double courteous.

I,too, have a courtesy hose both with regular incoming water pressure, and also to the high pressure side for hot, pressurized water, all of which run through the water softner first.

Back
Top Bottom