Which one of you garage chemist wants a home run?

Mikey P

Administrator
Melt down some Fels and mix with 40 vol and you'll have the best damn post spotter ever made.

Seriously.

Figure out what's in Fels and go for it.

If that combo dont get it it's time to patch or bleach

Bob Foster

Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob Foster said:
Soap (sodium tallowate*, sodium cocoate* (or) sodium palmate kernelate*, and sodium palmate*), water, talc, cocnut acid*, palm acid*, tallow acid*, PEG-6 methyl ether, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium chloride, pentasodium pentetate and/or tetrasodium etidronate, titatium dioxide, fragrance, Acid Orange (CI 20170), Acid yellow 73 (ci43350)

So it is mainly lye soap.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
"post spotter"?

Fels worked okay for me. I just don't care to get down on hand and knees and scrub.

I found using a butyl degreaser W/ the Nike shuffle works about the same and rinses much better.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
YUUUP, a few squirts of Purple along a baseboard, spread with Nike, rinses soil filtration right out. Wipe baseboard if nice house.

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Fels is one of the greatest inventions for the carpet cleaner ever. And yes, the Nike shuffle is the only way for it to properly work.

S

sam miller

curt johnson said:
Fels is one of the greatest inventions for the carpet cleaner ever. And yes, the Nike shuffle is the only way for it to properly work.

Thats cause us carpet cleaner's need to put a little boot to carpet once in a while!

woodsey

Been using fels for awhile. Saves a ton of $$ over using solv gel in a tube and best of all it will not leak in pocket and burn your pecker.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
It looks like this and you can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

SBS-760625

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
George III said:
It looks like this and you can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

SBS-760625

If there's someone out there still not familiar with 40 Vol peroxide, we should probably mention - Use gloves! Under no circumstances get it on your skin!

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Mikey P said:
btw, I dont melt it down myself, I just spritz the 40 and rub the magic bar on the spot and rinse
I would think that would be the best method. If you tried to premix, the peroxide would lose strength rapidly, which is the main reason for all the two-part oxidizing spotters out there.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Erskine Allin said:
[quote="Royal Man":2tevw265]

i didn't see any sodium hydroxide in there

..l.T.A.[/quote:2tevw265]

Sodium tallowate is lye (Sodium Hydroxide) and beef fat.
Sodium cocoate is lye and coconut oil.
Sodium palmate is lye and palm oil.

PEG-6 methyl ether – A synthetic polymer solvent. Synonyms: Methyl Cellosolve; Ethylene glycol
monomethyl ether.

Fels Naptha is basically a bar of soap with Methyl Cellosolve solvent added to boost performance. A few stabilizers, preservatives, fragrance and colorants round out the mix. No self-respecting manufacturer of carpet cleaning chemicals would use actual soap as a base for anything in their product line. Soap has inherent disadvantages when used in a process not guaranteeing soft water and/or full immersion/copious rinsing.

If I were designing a "Hack Spotting Kit", it would definitely be in the arsenal. Things in the Hack Spotting Kit would include,....

Fels Naptha
WD-40
Acetone
Sally's 40 Volume
Benzene or Ronsonol Lighter fluid
Hydrofluoric Acid

K P

Shawn Forsythe said:
[quote="Erskine Allin":1kgymic8][quote="Royal Man":1kgymic8]

i didn't see any sodium hydroxide in there

..l.T.A.[/quote:1kgymic8]

Sodium tallowate is lye (Sodium Hydroxide) and beef fat.
Sodium cocoate is lye and coconut oil.
Sodium palmate is lye and palm oil.

PEG-6 methyl ether – A synthetic polymer solvent. Synonyms: Methyl Cellosolve; Ethylene glycol
monomethyl ether.

Fels Naptha is basically a bar of soap with Methyl Cellosolve solvent added to boost performance. A few stabilizers, preservatives, fragrance and colorants round out the mix. No self-respecting manufacturer of carpet cleaning chemicals would use actual soap as a base for anything in their product line. Soap has inherent disadvantages when used in a process not guaranteeing soft water and/or full immersion/copious rinsing.

If I were designing a "Hack Spotting Kit", it would definitely be in the arsenal. Things in the Hack Spotting Kit would include,....

Fels Naptha
WD-40
Acetone
Sally's 40 Volume
Hydrofluoric Acid[/quote:1kgymic8]

A couple of those work just fine used right "in the real world" used by people who actually do the work.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The last part was maybe a little too "tongue in cheek", much as is Mikeys reference to "Garage Chemist". I apologize if it attenuated my point of the first part of the post.

Moreover, I don't mean to imply that any of the "Hack" items don't work. In fact, they often do. But the strong threat of serious complications do exist, relative to more sensible and accepted professional methods and solutions.

F

FB7777

the least of which being the insolvency of cleaning supply distributors

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Or losing everything you worked for by using a product for something is wasn't labeled for. Sure you may get away for years and years and never have a problem. Slip up once and your done. Saving $1 dollar versus limiting your liability just doesn't make any sort of rational sense.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The first four items on the "hack list" are in my black bag. I use three other very effective solvents in place of the fifth item and a "safer" acid in place of the last item.

I use them because they are VERY effective, price is just a bonus.

I have a couple of CTI kits and a Prochem kit as well. They look really nice.

F

FB7777

me too Lee

I won a Prochem spotting kit in Nashville... everything in it was mediocre at best

The bag is nice tho... I use it to holding spotting towels and brushes :mrgreen:

Bob Foster

Shawn Forsythe said:

Fels Naptha
WD-40
Acetone
Sally's 40 Volume
Hydrofluoric Acid

Fels Naptha 8)
WD-40 8)
Acetone 8)
Sally's 40 Volume :cry:
Benzene or Ronsonol Lighter fluid 8)
Hydrofluoric Acid 8)

Name
Kevin McCreary

In all of my life I have never seen a manufacture of carpet cleaning products accept any liability

if the product you purchased from them backfires on you. Carry your own liability insurance and be

done with it.

BTW- Boost 20% or 40 vol with a dash of ammonia for a pleasant kick.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
BraveHeart said:
What is Nike shuffle :?: Never heard of it...

"foot/shoe" agitation
works better than a brush and no bending over

kind of a poor image when the custy is around though ..IMO...

but if she ain't watching......

.L.T.A.

BraveHeart

Erskine Allin said:
BraveHeart said:
What is Nike shuffle :?: Never heard of it...

"foot/shoe" agitation
works better than a brush and no bending over

kind of a poor image when the custy is around though ..IMO...

but if she ain't watching......

.L.T.A.

:lol:

Thats hilarious...Im trying to google nike shuffle expecting some odd chemical or something lol
Of course over looking the obvious~

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Shawn Forsythe":2op3bss3]

Fels Naptha
WD-40
Acetone
Sally's 40 Volume
Hydrofluoric Acid

Fels Naptha 8)
WD-40 8)
Acetone 8)
Sally's 40 Volume :cry:
Benzene or Ronsonol Lighter fluid 8)
Hydrofluoric Acid 8)[/quote:2op3bss3]

I would hate to think what would happen if someone left behind a bottle of volume 40, forgot about it, and someone's kid got a hold of it.

Owner/Operators it would be bad enough but what about an employee. The stuff may work great but why take the chance?

I've used every spotter in Prochem's kit at some point or another and have always had good results. Any one who couldn't would make me wonder.

Especially since Joe Domin was behind the chemistry of most if not all of them.

Back
Top Bottom