who does NOT do this..?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

take the CUSTOMERS bath mat from in front of the tub or shower and place it so they HAVE to walk off on to it and dry their wet feet/shoes..?

20130522_104936_zps9a609bc8.jpg

and don't give me this "I leave them so dry it's not a concern" BS..

I haven't seen one of those mats since the 80's Mikey LOl. Too funny.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I tell them to grab an old towel and place them at walk off areas. Say at bottom of stairs, carpet to tile... Anything to keep them remembering, they will fall if not careful!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I tell them to grab an old towel and place them at walk off areas. Say at bottom of stairs, carpet to tile... Anything to keep them remembering, they will fall if not careful!

Better hope they don't slip on the towel you suggested.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
good ideas.

anyone have a slip&fall sign-off doc they'd care to share?

This is what I use to prevent general claims- Due to Insurance regulations; Items such as: breakables ,TVs, computers,
glassware, grandfather clocks, bookshelves, or pianos can not be moved.
Royal is not responsible for color transfer, change, bleeding, shrinking,
or loose seems in carpet or furniture. Some stains, spots or shading may
be permanent due to their nature. Royal Cleaning Service reserves the
right to Replace, Repair or Refund the cost of cleaning on ALL claims.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
This is what I use to prevent general claims- Due to Insurance regulations; Items such as: breakables ,TVs, computers,
glassware, grandfather clocks, bookshelves, or pianos can not be moved.
Royal is not responsible for color transfer, change, bleeding, shrinking,
or loose seems in carpet or furniture. Some stains, spots or shading may
be permanent due to their nature. Royal Cleaning Service reserves the
right to Replace, Repair or Refund the cost of cleaning on ALL claims.

Dave the spelling is seams in this case, not seems.

Reactions: Connor and Chris A

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Been doing it forever.....where ever there is a hard floor/tile-wood floor transition, I will gather rugs and lay them out. Don't forget the bottom of staircases onto tile floors. Peeps like to come running down the steps and hit the flooor running. I will have an answer to this problem in weeks to come.......I will send samples to anyone looking for custy safety. Stay tuned.

Name
Torrey Whitaker
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this.
As small and insignificant it seems, it raises profound branches of thought.

1. Are you not covering yourself with a slip hazard clause in the form?
2. Is there a small chance this could be perceived as a negative MoT? I'd say most likely no but there are some nutty women.
3. Now that you've set a bar by doing this, will the homeowner wonder why you haven't put down something in all hard surface transitional areas?
4. Could this reinforce the thought of how your leaving their carpet wet?

I just ask these questions because we get caught up in our own little procedures and end up tailoring them to what we perceive is the right way or even worse the quicker and easier.

This very line of thought had been haunting me lately as I'm planning my growth and am half scared to death of leaving these important aspects in a techs hands..

I'm giving serious consideration to having 2-3 studabakers and a couple DriPods on each vehicle to force a complete dry on all major carpeted rooms/areas.

Not that this is a new concept to speed dry, but I was thinking of how Steve Toburen made every truck in his operation use a rx-20 instead of wand to ensure a tech can't just botch it. Or at least minimize the odds.

Anyone else offer/guarantee a complete dry?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Mike- I did misunderstand the question, but no, I still don't do it. I tell people to put on a pair of socks if they want to walk on the carpet. It's amazing that people have their socks all ready when I get to their homes.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Mike- I did misunderstand the question, but no, I still don't do it. I tell people to put on a pair of socks if they want to walk on the carpet. It's amazing that people have their socks all ready when I get to their homes.

That's interesting. You promote and encourage your clients to get their socks wet and I do everything in my power to make sure my clients NEVER get their socks wet.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I always say the same thing Doug and that's what I do at home. My socks barely get even damp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
That's interesting. You promote and encourage your clients to get their socks wet and I do everything in my power to make sure my clients NEVER get their socks wet.
No Dave- I promote not transferring dirt from bare feet or shoes to damp carpet. I tell people theres no difference between shoes or bare feet, they both pick up soil and will wipe off on damp carpet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
No Dave- I promote not transferring dirt from bare feet or shoes to damp carpet. I tell people theres no difference between shoes or bare feet, they both pick up soil and will wipe off on damp carpet.

Um....... Never heard of booties? I get the larger thicker ones.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Booties are dangerous as hell. Your foot can slide inside the bootie as it did to me several years ago when I was going down some stairs at an open house carrying my baby girl. My foot slid forward in the bootie and I fell flat on my back halfway down the stairs. It hurt so bad I thought I ruptured my kidney. It took me 30 minutes to get back in the car for a ride to the emergency room. I hate booties and only give them to 1 customer that insists on them for her 6 kids.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Depends on the carpet and the hard surface, if they're elderly they usually have a lot of those rubber back rugs. I'll move them to walk off areas to prevent slip and fall.

or at the bottom of steps if the tiles uber slippery.

But my number one line to every customer after I hand them shoe covers is "be careful walking off the carpet onto hard surface's its slippery, No ice skating!"

If You say it sternly they will laugh every time.

I have a slip and fall clause never had anyone initial it, because theres times I'll warn them two to 3 times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
most booties don't add traction they prevent soil transfer from shoes to wet carpet.

Did the booty company get sued for the slip and fall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Name
Jason
Those pro drop cloths look awesome. How do you charge for their use or do you just raise the square foot price in the rooms you clean to account for protecting the pathway from the front door to job?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I was cleaning some tile a few months ago and there was a sign taped the bathroom floor that said something like "Watch your step Slippery". They had their carpets cleaned the day before. I thought it was clever and easy to do (8x11 print paper)

Mikey P

Administrator
Those pro drop cloths look awesome. How do you charge for their use or do you just raise the square foot price in the rooms you clean to account for protecting the pathway from the front door to job?

They last for years and years.
Don't get into a mind frame that you should upcharge for everything your competition doesn't do.

Want to stand out as the go to company in your hood?

Smile and be genuinely conversive.
Share helpful tips with the homeowner.
Don't skimp on the dry strokes.
Use good chems and understand how they work.
Keep your filters clean.
Leave the ebonics at home.
Vacuum edges and cobwebs.
Use corner guards and tarps.
Don't let your POS RC99 filter leak all over their front porch.
Use a method that actually cleans the carpet, this will take a half day or more to dry no matter how big your blower is so offer to leave them a fan if drying is an issue. Most will bring it by your shop the next day and be very greatful.
Don't take advice from part timers or guys who claim to clean carpet yet are on the BBs ALL DAY.
Hire the best guy in town to clean a relative's carpet and be there to watch what he does.
Do another dry stroke, it ain't just water thats being removed.
Respect their property inside and out.
Pet the dog and don't stare at the hot teenage daughter

peace out.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
They last for years and years.
Don't get into a mind frame that you should upcharge for everything your competition doesn't do.

Want to stand out as the go to company in your hood?

Smile and be genuinely conversive.
Share helpful tips with the homeowner.
Don't skimp on the dry strokes.
Use good chems and understand how they work.
Keep your filters clean.
Leave the ebonics at home.
Vacuum edges and cobwebs.
Use corner guards and tarps.
Don't let your POS RC99 filter leak all over their front porch.
Use a method that actually cleans the carpet, this will take a half day or more to dry no matter how big your blower is so offer to leave them a fan if drying is an issue. Most will bring it by your shop the next day and be very greatful.
Don't take advice from part timers or guys who claim to clean carpet yet are on the BBs ALL DAY.
Hire the best guy in town to clean a relative's carpet and be there to watch what he does.
Do another dry stroke, it ain't just water thats being removed.
Respect their property inside and out.
Pet the dog and don't stare at the hot teenage daughter

peace out.

Sounds like the first day of training for any service industry employee...
Minus the technical details.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
How do you charge for their use or do you just raise the square foot price in the rooms you clean to account for protecting the pathway from the front door to job?

I wouldn't... Just do it, if needed.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Be the kind of cleaner you would want working at your mom's house. If you provide a higher level of service you WILL command a higher price and people will be happy to pay it and tell their friends about you. Don't squabble over the little things, just do them and people notice. Eventually you won't feel like you have to meet the cheapest guys price. Most of our competition isn't nearly as serious about carpet cleaning. Their vans are often operated by guys who are willing to do just enough to get a paycheck. I'm thankful for this board. It has helped me a lot. Ive been in and out of thousands of homes, restaurants, apartments, and offices and most of the work was done alone. I was pretty convinced that I didn't have a whole lot to learn. I was wrong. I've learned a lot on this board. All kinds of guys from different areas who are really helpful, most with nothing to gain at all. A lot of clowns too, but that's part of the entertainment :-)

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Reactions: Jason del Norte

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

take the CUSTOMERS bath mat from in front of the tub or shower and place it so they HAVE to walk off on to it and dry their wet feet/shoes..?

20130522_104936_zps9a609bc8.jpg

and don't give me this "I leave them so dry it's not a concern" BS..
And you didn't even correct the nap reversal on that mat.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

This is a great service for any home. The question is.....how about after you leave the home? Unless you have speed dried the area, that carpet is still going to be damp. If you can clean a home and have perfectly dry carpet, then you are not using high flow for flushing. Even with my 59 blower on a single wand, some carpets do retain some dampness. Even a slight dampness in a hall leading to that tile floor can make the soles of your shoes damp. I guess that if I used 300 psi on the Ti wand, the room would be dry before I finished it. But 300 ain't doing much flushin'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom