Why do you live/work where you do?

Mikey P

Administrator
What are the pros and cons?

Santa Cruz pros
Redwood rain forest on one side of the highway, beautiful beaches on the other.
Centrally located to the best California has to offer, Marin County, The Sierras, Wine Countries
Oh so Vege friendly..
Near perfect weather
Plenty of rich white folk to market my biz to

Cons
Over ran with homeless dead beat anarchists and gang bangers
Government is ran like a $9.95 a room CC company. No future insight what so ever.
The Big One is coming
Every thing cost more

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I’ve never lived any where else so it’s hard to compare.

Pro’s: Slower paced life style, a lot of genuine people.
Beautiful green country side in spring/summer, get fall colors, winter…see Con’s.
Lawrence/Topeka, good blend of affluent customers with the University of Kansas in Lawrence and the State Capital in Topeka.

Con’s: Weather…can we say cold? Winters can be awful here, cold, snow and ICE.
Small market-Shawnee County /Douglas County just over a quarter of a million combined.
No- ocean, beaches or mountains

steve g

Name
steve garrett
utah pros

-high mountains
-mule deer under some ledge at 11,500 elevation smart enough that they seem like they are protected by a higher power, they always feed into the wind, stay in areas that have rocks and boulders that if you try to walk in there its gonna be so loud everything will spook off the mountain. getting one seems to have more to do with luck that anything else
-the bugle of the bull elk echoing through the aspens
-close to the high deserts of wyoming or nevada, my sole can recharge in areas like this, away from EVERYONE in my pursuit of my favorite animal the great ghost of the high desert..............................the coyote
-streams and rivers loaded with fish, I can see myself now standing in one with a fly rod in my hand, and giggling "fish on bitch" to my nearest buddy standing by me. all this as I enjoy the scenery, the sound of the water and a cool breeze on my neck.
- the red rock of moab its almost like you are on another planet
-I know most everyone in my neighborhood its a close knit community
-public land everywhere for riding 4 wheelers or shooting guns whatever.
- I am sure there is quite a bit more that I am forgetting

the cons
-too many damn tree huggers from california, they want to come here and screw up our stand and make it like the one they left
-liberal politics, utah is very conservative on moral issues, not so much on government spending, which means too high taxes
-cold winters that seem to last too long
- that is about it mostly what I dislike, is the libs and tree huggers themselves and their ideas. I view them as trying to destroy my country, I take it personal. I can spot them a mile away and I can't manage even a remote smile when I talk to them.

utah is the most beautiful state overall, it has amazing scenery that will make your jaw drop that seems ordinary for most people around here. It would take in excess of a half mil a year for me to move back to texas and I would need 2 mos vacation a year that I could use anytime I wanted. my second choice to live would be colorado, then idaho, then wyoming and nevada a toss up after that.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
It's miserable here: Beaches, (good surf and fishing), mountains, perfect weather (T-shirts all year).

Hoards of low-ball hacks advertising everywhere.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
[quote="gary mackay":16d718wi]I'm Lot reliving Sodom & Gommora

That's soooo much what I was thinking the other day...[/quote:16d718wi]

Sounds like Mike is about to "Fly the Coup"... :wink:

PLease..."REMIND"... "Paula NOT to look BACK... :!: "

Name
George Valliant
117906-004-918F6802.jpg

07_06_09_geocaching_at_sandia_mountain-nm_01.jpg

dg463q28_30889b6wjdb_b.jpg

Billy-the-kid.jpg

drums.jpg

womenbg.jpg

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Free lodging. My Grandad paid $2000 cash for this place in 1926. All my family is here. 2.5 hours to the east is the beach, to the west the Blue ridge mountains. A nice mix of weather, but not too extreme. A few days over 100 in August and a few days below 20 in the winter but pretty nice most of the year.

There's not a huge amount of competition in my little corner of the planet.

We were a conservative state until last year. All the northern liberals are moving here in droves, but that's OK their money will spend. The town of Chapel hill is eat up with hippy tree hugging liberals who are clueless as to what is happening to our country.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Pros-Not many. The Adirondacks, beautiful country. Nice summers and beautiful falls.

Cons - Too damn expensive to live here and certainly too damn expensive to own a business in.
Too regulated.
Too many free loaders
State is bankrupt, but keeps spending like it's not.
The most openly, completely corrupt state government I've ever seen and probably in the universe, yet they will all get re-elected. The majority of them can't speak fluid english, mostly ebonics.

I would leave tomorrow if I could sell everything I own. Then I'd move to Lawrence KS and go to work for Chavez as his personal assistant, getting him doughuts and changing the video games in his X Box for him. Probably have to mow his yard too.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
born and raised here .
been to many places in the US, some i like, some you couldn't pay me to live there

pros; nice diversity of urban centers, small towns/villages and rural areas
there are large cities and urban sprawl as well as large areas of rural/farm land and right onto straight up backwoods "hillbilly in the holler" Appalachia .

an abundance of natural resources in the state makes it a more "secure" area on the country .
Water, lumber, coal, natural gas, etc.
We'll never be a "poor" state either because of that

God forbid any major disasters .....whether man made or natural that would disrupt "life as we know it" in this country..but if such a calamity would befall, a lot of folks out there in those "man made oasis" will have no way to sustain life .

Ohio folks by and large have uncommon "common sense".

Cons;
the lose of manufacturing has hurt the blue collar class in the last generation.
Winters are less and less enjoyable to me the older i get

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Moved here because of money

Some to be made and not as much spent

Pros
• Economy and good gas and house prices
• Food is amazing
• I hear the schoolin is good for the kid

Cons
• Wind is bad
• Traffic is worse
• People are assholes...too much Big TX arrogant ass Egos.

So their hat is bigger...so what?

:D

Born and raised here

Pros- Hunting ,fishing,lakes,creeks Gulf of Mexico and Bikinis.

Cons-yankee tourists spring breakers, kanadians in black sox and sandals.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
We bought a house on our honeymoon in 1984. Moving from Minnesota to California and starting over in the carpet cleaning business after 14 years of steam cleaning seemed a bit risky. After traveling California, we chose Antioch for location. It was at the edge of development and about the right size population so that a phone book ad would not cost too much for a one truck operation. There were only a couple truck mounted cleaners in the area and they soon went bye bye. Antioch is also on the water and has the foothills and Mount Diablo. It was one of the most affordable areas at the time, but still higher than Minnesota.

The location is close to the bay and San Francisco, the ocean, the Sierra's with Yosemite & Tahoe 2 or 3 hours away. Wine country an hour away. Beautiful vegetation and scenery.

You can sit outside in the evening and not get bit up by bugs. Weather is mostly sunny. Air is dry instead of humid. Nothing freezes. No snow to fight, scoop, cause accidents, rust out your vehicles.

Down side is traffic, higher costs, (but that is offset somewhat by being able to make more money here) and we are now a long way from our parents & siblings. However, of six daughters, 5 are now in California and 1 in Utah. Even our ex mates live in northern California. somewhat amus

Bottom line, I feel like I am on vacation all the time compared to living in the midwest. That's good for my mental health. Ivebeensold

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
"kanadians in black sox and sandals."

Tony wHEEL WRIGHT sighting.LMFAO!

Golden Boy

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Pro - It is Australia. Nuff said 8)

We like living over here because I can go and set up camp in the scrub and not have to worry about getting mauled by a bear, cougar or any of your gang bangers.
DSC00796Small.jpg

This is about a 20 min drive up the beach from our office..
Beach049.jpg

And when we want to go fishing it's not hard to feed yourself

Yes, it is larger than a slab of beer!
udata-1.jpg

P8180470.jpg

Some of us can get away with driving utes like these (you have to protect yourself from all the pesky roo's somehow)
Ute.jpg

And we can get Bundy rum whenever we want
rum2.jpg

Cons.......

I'll have to get back to you on that one :lol:

Nah, the cost of goods and services here (compared to the USA) is quite expensive.

Crocs and Great Whites and worlds most poisonous snakes....id rather deal with a bear or cougar...lol

seriously looks beautiful.

Name
Nate W.
Umm, do I really need to say anything?? :lol:

Born and raised. I've been to CA, UT, NV, OR, Tijuana Mexico.

Pro's.
I love where I live.
Slower pace of life.
I can swing both the local and white way with people being a half breed. :lol:
No snow.
No snakes except for a few bad apples (people).
Don't have to drive far.
Can wear slippers and surf shorts year around.
Can talk pidgin english and not be asked for a green card. :lol:
Go beach when ever you want.
Fishing even though I don't eat fish.
The water doesn't taste like a$$. :wink:

Cons.
Shipping everything in.
Hurricanes when they hit.
Tsunami's when they hit.
Democratic state.
Ignorant people.
Driver's don't know how to drive.
Traffic.
Roads supposedly made from lava rock, so tires don't last as long as the 48states.
Potholes galore.

There's more, but that's all from the top of my head. shiteatinggrin

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Jim B.: You forgot to mention the rain and the rain and the rain. Seriously, the more attractive the area you live, the higher the cost of living and the less you competition will accept for the joy of living there. I live in a great area and it is a struggle some times. Great motorcycle roads though!
Al

S

sam miller

Affordable housing sunshine dirt kids and pets its a year round carpet cleaning gig in upper desert still its the desert poppy reserve is great this time of year. hour and a half from Malibu, 3 1/2 hours from Mammoth. In and Out and Tommy's
http://inandout.com/
http://www.originaltommys.com/

downside its the desert high winds in evening!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Pros:
Mountains/winter sports/wildlife
Water/summer sports/wildlife
The physical beauty within minutes of cities is fantastic.
Seattle has a history of Scandinavian fishing/logging work ethic. Loads of money but snobbery is not acceptable. The only way you can tell you bumped into a multi-millionaire is that his Gore-tex will be better than yours.
Real seasons, but temperate ones. About three days per year with snow on the ground, about three days a year with temperatures over 90F.
Low humidity in the summer.
So far from D. C. that the Tsunami of regulations die to a ripple by the time they get here.
So far from Dalton that the CRI regulations...
Drive about an hour to the east side of the mountains for sun. (Doesn't rain nearly as much as people think though.)

Cons:
Liberal bias paralizes government.
Rude cyclists have taken over Seattle and made bad traffic worse. They get millions spent to build bike trails next to roads, but ride in the roads anyway just to anger motorists.
Comparitively expensive housing.
Overcast for weeks at a time in the winter, threatening to rain all winter. (This could also be a pro, as Californians can usually take only one winter.)

I've found things to like in a lot of places though, everywhere has some trade-off compared to somewhere else.

If I had no family ties I'd give New Zealand a good look. Something compelling about a country where common sense rules. (No signs or fence around the bubbling sulphur pit on a golf course; if you're dumb enough to fall in you should die.) Beautiful country unmatched by anywhere I've been; fantastic people.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Southwest PA

Pros: Lots of hills and rivers, and they are all clean today. Hills covered with flowers in the spring, leaves in color through October, and abundant wildlife.

Low housing costs. 4 bedroom, two bathroom house with spacious yard in a virtually
crime free community and one of the best school districts: $115,000.

Low housing costs, 2: I buy houses for rental in "good" (not as good as where I live,
but nearly so) for less than the cost of an SUV and rent without having to go "section 8".

Great people: SWPA and Pittsburgh people are not sophisticated urbanites, but instead "salt of the earth" working people who own small businesses, work in small industry, the mines, and farms.

Education and Medical: The University of Pittsburgh is a great school, and our hospitals among the best nationwide.

Sports: Great football and hockey town. Great owners of both franchises.

Cons: Winters can be snowy and icy, but I'm an oddball that likes the winter.
Less ethnic diversity. Other than Asians who contribute so well to our medical system we don't have as many Hispanics and East Asians as I wish. Of course, here being Slovak versus Polish, or especially Serbian versus Croatian is enough to start a bar room fight.

Sports: Anyone want a quarterback? His shirts can hardly be given away now; especially the ones in girl's sizes and styles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom