Why NOT to like Angie's List

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
can anyone tell me why Angie's List is a bad idea?

i am thinking of doing some more resi work and since i use servicemagic, i figure Angie's might be the same thing??

tx in advance --- Derek.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As frank said, totally different companies and totally different clients.

With Angie's list their subscribers rate you and all members can read those reviews.
Yes, they will shop but only with Angie's list rated companies. They pay a subscription fee and in a way they are invested in it.
They want a good price, however they also want good quality. Unlike Service Magic you are not billed by how many calls you got. You are billed by whatever advertisement you do with Angie's list. Also, it is not a race to call back ASAP or you lose it like SM. Nor the lowest price, like most SM shoppers.

If you get an Angie's list client they will be less price resistant and more quality oriented. They do seem to be a little 'paranoid' (I guess safety seeking will be a better description.)

Angie's list however, will try to get you to spend more money with them in many varied ways. It's a talent :p

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Service magic can be seen fairly redily by almost anybody searching for carpet cleaning.(Or what ever service)

It proliferates all over the web in multiple places.

Angies list is only see by only those searching Angeis list.

It will only be seen by a very small fraction of the searching universe.

For Instance. My town of 250K has only 2K Angies List members.

(About that same as a very small mailing)

It not of much value to me by following the numbers.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I'm surprised you are using service magic. For me it wasn't a profitable way of marketing. at $11 a lead if I remember right and I was only landing about 1/3. Worked out to be about $33 a client. Not that the concept is bad but in a lot of cases for me the clients were not ready to bite and were just shoppers.

Besides the way that service magic gets leads is through google adwords. For me it was cheaper to just have some guy make me a website and do my own google adwords. At least when someone calls I am not sharing them with several other carpet cleaners. Most customers will find a company that they like the website and what it says. They will call them and if your phone skills are good then you will have a client. Contact that guy fred, he seems to be really good from what others have said. Have him make you a website and then just do adwords like I do.

I spend about $400 a month on adwords and it gets me about 4k a month in work. Not a bad return on investment.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I found that if you rank high and have a lot of client reviews you can get a much higher return than that without giving adwords a cent.

I guess it depends on how competitive your area is.

(My area has around 70 cleaning companies with 250K population.)

I could see using adwords untill a listing gains rank.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Richard,

How do you know they(the clients) are from ad words? Are you asking if they clicked adwords and not a local or organic listing?

We did adwords for about four years, always pissed me off not being able to know if the person clicking the ad called/booked. Google analytics only tells you so much.

Seems to me, only way to know for sure is have a different number for them to call. Does anyone do this?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thats funny, here Angieslist is pretty well known, and yelp is still in its infancy. Angies List is based out of Indy though

Opie Cleaner

I get mid to high end homeowners with Angie's List

I got mostly low end price shoppers with Service Magic, I dropped them a few months ago.

If your new I would try Service Magic and also get on Angie's list

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
after hearing a bad experience, i'm not going to try Angie's. thanks for all the advice fellas.

Servicemagic barely works for me, maybe 5% of the time i've picked up a new client who isn't a price shopper. but it has made me more $ than i've paid them in lead payments.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Im in a high end market . It did nothing at all for me. For a person in a competitive market it can possibly work for them.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Angies list is perfect for a fooken janitor who scrubs and runs living rooms with a CiMEx. Sick bastard. Kids crawl on carpet.

golden Boy

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
the custys i did work for were good people but i also encountered a lot of tirekickers and paranoid types on many estimates

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom