9 Month Review 870

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The Good
The machine has lots of suction and can easily keep up with two zippers running. It also has an endless supply of heat. Because of the unique design of the thermal well it preheats the water with radiant heat from the exhaust. It has been flawless in starting and runs very smooth and quiet. It’s only 3 decibels quieter than my previous machine but its deeper and sounds much quieter. Closing the garage door drops the sound even more, which wasn’t true on my previous machine.

It burns less fuel than my briggs and propane burner setup but gives better heat and vacuum. Because of the way they set up the airflow the machine stays cool even in the tropical environment of south Florida. You can place your hand just above the thermal well and feel nice cool air from the radiator fan. Definitely not true with my past two machines which were basically giant heat sinks.

The bad.
Because it heats water so quickly and efficiently the bypass is almost always open. I bypass the water back to my 200 gal tank but its designed to go to the waste tank. You can expect to fill your waste tank about every 3 rooms. You definitely will need a pump out if you go that route. I heard they solved that problem but have yet to see it offered.

I also have a problem with the belt slipping on the pump. I have not been able to source the reason nor has my supplier. The pulley appears to be aligned perfectly and has 0 wobble . The belt is way to tight, much tighter than the Tremco 870 , which doesn’t slip, even when pushed to the max. I replaced the belt and cleaned all of the pulleys to no avail. I did recently notice a small leak near the pump. It is possible that it’s somehow getting to the belt causing the problem. I don’t see any evidence of it but I’ll replace the cracked fitting and we will see. I think it should have a simple automotive belt tensioner. Typically this style of belt does.

There was no oil drain, but i solved that problem for $35. It should of come that way.

My other issue, which bothers me the most, is the rust starting on the front. At 3 months I noticed some yellow discoloration which I wiped off. At 6 months I saw it again and put on my glasses. It’s rust. I know it’s not a problem unique to mine because I saw it on the Tremco unit, which is newer. Down the road I’ll have to pull the front and sand blast it and redo it.

My final thoughts.
I would still buy this unit again. It’s well built and should last a long time. I’ve never run a Ford industrial motor so time will tell. I’m only running synthetic oil and I use motorcrafts filters. I still change it every 200 but could probably stretch the synthetic to 1000hrs.

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 6.05.23 PM.png
IMG_1539.jpg

Reactions: ruff

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Gene, the water pump belt continues to ride off both our 870 s also. Very annoying when everything is aligned and properly tensioned. The only fix for the water dumping is to change the thermal relief valve every few months because they wont open and close properly after the first few months of use. I also can not stand the rusting so quickly and i take excellent condition of my machine. Other than that the performance of the machine is awesome with no down time.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Gene, the water pump belt continues to ride off both our 870 s also. Very annoying when everything is aligned and properly tensioned. The only fix for the water dumping is to change the thermal relief valve every few months because they wont open and close properly after the first few months of use. I also can not stand the rusting so quickly and i take excellent condition of my machine. Other than that the performance of the machine is awesome with no down time.

So your is rusting also and your belt rides off ❓my belt only slips when I push it above 1000

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Just how many times do we need to say this before the almighty truckmount manufacturers listen: powder coating DOES NOT WORK! It doesn't matter how we take care of powder coated machines and tools... They all rust and flake to hell.

The water dumping issue would drive me nucking futs!
Don't tell me that a thirty thousand dollar machine will force one to make it even more expensive by having to add a decent pump out!

Not to mention the little thing of water being looked at as precious resource....

Belt issues... Again, a thirteen thousand dollar truckmount is able to run with one belt and one coupler for 3-4 thousand hours..how come a thirty thousand dollar unit can't?

Other than that it sounds like a great machine.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I agree with the thermal relief valve causing it. Listen for a constant drip after your machine is turned off. That will tell you right away that it needs replaced.

J

JS41035

Try running two spinners with a cleanco.
I agree with pretty much everything stated above.
Google the big hydramaster slide ins. They had a ton of trouble.
We pay a ton for these machines and expect them to last a long time and be well made. And for the most part ,they are. The 870 uses water. From what I understand most of the SS units do. But fundamentally they rely on the same bypass valve on the water box box that most units do.The 405 included. But on the 405 it just opened way less often. If I had to choose between the bimba/diverter and the old school skinner solenoid bypass. I'm still going with the newer setup.
The 870 is a true dual wand setup. If you are dual wanding you need an APO.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Google the big hydramaster slide ins.
Guess that's why they stopped selling it. Still I am actually surprised that I haven't read anything negative or about a issue with current line up. The reason I keep buying Hydramaster is they stand behind the machine. That is the biggest reason I keep buying them. After Mike's very impressive tour of the Sapphire plant I was going to get the 570 but a Dealer friend... not going to say where... talked me into the Titan 575 for the next machine...he sells both. He said they just work...no issues and if something does come up Hydramaster would take care of it and not send me to the motor company or the blower company for the pump company. So definitely if you are dual wanding with the new big tools all the time with then I see your point. Just hate seeing the rust on a 6 month old machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin B

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
SO glad I bought a Cleanco

So are they.

I haven't read one bad post from a Hydramaster owner... That rusting issue would make me crazy! er... crazier...
Drives me crazy. When it's bad enough I pull it and sandblast it and redo it

I agree with the thermal relief valve causing it. Listen for a constant drip after your machine is turned off. That will tell you right away that it needs replaced.

I had the same brand thermal relief on my last machine and it never failed. It has a two year warranty so I assume those are covered.

The reason they stay open so long is because the water is always getting heated. Once at temperature it stays there unless you are running a spinner. Doesn't bother me at all since I dump it back to my tank. It's temperature sits at 140 pretty consistent.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Todd
Guess that's why they stopped selling it. Still I am actually surprised that I haven't read anything negative or about a issue with current line up. The reason I keep buying Hydramaster is they stand behind the machine. That is the biggest reason I keep buying them. After Mike's very impressive tour of the Sapphire plant I was going to get the 570 but a Dealer friend... not going to say where... talked me into the Titan 575 for the next machine...he sells both. He said they just work...no issues and if something does come up Hydramaster would take care of it and not send me to the motor company or the blower company for the pump company. So definitely if you are dual wanding with the new big tools all the time with then I see your point. Just hate seeing the rust on a 6 month old machine.

No rust on my 370 but I live in a dry climate. The Blower on the 575 is probably closer in performance to the 370.

Name
Todd
It just matters what it does when the wand is on the carpet and how well the system can evacuate the water back to the recovery tank. If you put a 406 blower on the Kubota motor you would probably not be able to tell a difference

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
If you put a 406 blower on the Kubota motor you would probably not be able to tell a difference
That's basically what the portable guys say because they are using short hoses and are closer to their machines. From what I can tell the SS 370 is a very good machine and I think it's the #1 seller by a long way! The difference would be if you are using a Zipper wand you will be ordering it with smaller jets...so less water to extract than the 570 or Titan would be ordering a Zipper with bigger jets... more water going down and all extra that water being extracted because of increased cfm air flow. Maybe it's over kill on most jobs as well but when I am out 300 plus feet from the van I will be glad for what ever extra I can get. Thats why the bigger machines cost more. The air moving through the radiator of the WATER cooled kubota is also on both the SS570 and the Hydramaster Titan 575.

Last edited:
Name
Todd
That's basically what the portable guys say because they are using short hoses and are closer to their machines. From what I can tell the SS 370 is a very good machine and I think it's the #1 seller by a long way! The difference would be if you are using a Zipper wand you will be ordering it with smaller jets...so less water to extract than the 570 or Titan would be ordering a Zipper with bigger jets... more water going down and all extra that water being extracted because of increased cfm air flow. Maybe it's over kill on most jobs as well but when I am out 300 plus feet from the van I will be glad for what ever extra I can get. Thats why the bigger machines cost more. The air moving through the radiator of the WATER cooled kubota is also on both the SS570 and the Hydramaster Titan 575.

Not my video but it is the 370 @ 350 '

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It just matters what it does when the wand is on the carpet and how well the system can evacuate the water back to the recovery tank. If you put a 406 blower on the Kubota motor you would probably not be able to tell a difference

I've used a 4.5 blower legend more cfm
Than a 370 and a 405 4.7 blower.

And you can definitely tell a difference in heat and suck. 570 produce more of both and from what I've seen from test the 575 beats the 570 on 12 a flow wand.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Again..that is a major problem to have a truckmount fill the waste tank every three rooms.

Yesterday I did a master bedroom, two other bedrooms, livingroom, dining room, and a couple of hallways (average sizes). Then drove to another job and did another master bedroom, two smaller bedrooms, livingroom, diningroom. The El D did not shut down with full waste tank. It was probably close but just so you see: Two jobs like that and didn't fill the small waste tank. (both jobs were done with the infamous 20 flow Greenhorn).

Edit, before some of you freak out that the El D is not a bypassing type unit since it has no heat exchanger...I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom