Choices for the Nomadic Owner Op

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I get nervous sending a guy out to do a vacant who has less than a year's experience. That's a far cry from where I started.

I started in the business in 1982 with no experience running a leased cleaning department for a major retailor. (Adler and Sons, for those that might remember them. They represented many retailers in major markets across the U. S. and Canada). I got a weeks worth of training on cleaning in the company's office in Milwaukee working as The Boston Store Cleaning Service. Another week's worth of training in Hartford Connecticut at another of the company's offices , G. Fox & Company. And then I opened up the Detroit office as J.C. Penney Home Cleaning.

Back then, I would try to hire experienced cleaners and give them just a day or two to get the paperwork down and off they would go. If a guy had no experience, I would train them for a week or so and send them out on their own. Here I was training people to clean even though I only had a week's worth of training myself.

I did get a lot more experience though over the years. I still remember a guy coming into work one morning just to let me know he quit! No notice and a full schedule. I had a decent office person answering the phone, so off I went to clean. That same scenario repeated itself many times over the 4 years I worked there.
Adler and Sons ran the Bay and Eaton's carpet cleaning here. Sears was big back then as well as a Western department store called Woodwards. I worked for Woodwards as a portable subcontractor and they would use me to correct mistakes their employees did. I got one of my best customers from that. A lady called up to ask, (not complain) if there was anything more that could be done for a recurring urine stain. They sent out an idiot with a bottle of Browning treatment, which he promptly spilled all over her white wool carpet. They sent me out to try and fix it. I got out the browning and urine but couldn't fix where he had scrubbed the carpet to death with a stiff brush. Became an insurance claim and on my advice the lady got high end Dupont Luxura nylon carpet. She appreciated the help and was my customer for the next 5 years. Then they sold but left my card and a note for the new owner who had been my customer for the last 25 years.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was never a fan of Mack Clark's style. He was funny but implementing a lot of what he taught would have had us firing half the staff and put me back out in the field.
I asked Mack about that, after a very funny but perhaps shocking to the audience talk. He said too many people carry staff that drags the company down; they just don't want to do the hiring and training to bring in better people.

If he can get a few people to fire one of their worst people, or even just consider them dead weight, the talk was successful.

Name
Nate W.
I asked Mack about that, after a very funny but perhaps shocking to the audience talk. He said too many people carry staff that drags the company down; they just don't want to do the hiring and training to bring in better people.

If he can get a few people to fire one of their worst people, or even just consider them dead weight, the talk was successful.
I haven't heard of this Mack fella.. But you gotta "trim the fat".. :biggrin:

I hope all is well @The Great Oz !

Reactions: The Great Oz

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

One off season we let go 5 of our bottom guys. It felt so good!
Bri......I think I met two of em! Back
In the Ken days.....after I sold my
Bidness....Ken was good too me and sent a crew to clean a couple rooms...I'll jus say... it's hard to talk on
The phone one handed while on total lock down from
No glides.....I did however relent and
Ask why no glides...no clue!!!...they looked at
Me lik I had 3 heads and rushed out of there like the building was on fire!
Lik I sED I hope they were the ones to go......but anyway thanks to Hagopian for thinking of me!

Reactions: LCCFL

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I am stuck on wanting to hire someone. I try to stay busy enough to hire someone full time. But, I don’t feel I am getting the amount of work I need to hire someone. I am hoping that I can pull the trigger this upcoming year.
Damn Chester....here I was thinking
You were a BALLER!

• Haha
Reactions: LCCFL

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I am stuck on wanting to hire someone. I try to stay busy enough to hire someone full time. But, I don’t feel I am getting the amount of work I need to hire someone. I am hoping that I can pull the trigger this upcoming year.
I was in the same boat. Then i ramped up my marketing and BAM!!! Super too busy. I’m wondering how February is going to be.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I hire a 27 yr. old. Said transportation no problem. His girlfriend brings him🙄 Um, I need you go from building to building with your on vehicle. I give gas cards. Next!

Name
Nate W.
More than likely. But, incidents only last 5 yrs. at most.
Due to contrary beliefs or what they told you.. Insurance is only “supposed” to look at the last 5yrs of your driving record.. When in fact they look at all of it, but “supposed” to base off the current 5yrs..

A rumor was said to not disclose gender as Men get charged more than Woman drivers.. So imma try gender neutral since it seems all the rage lately.. :eekk:

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
But 5 is all that is shown, so they that’s what is considered. They only use 3 yr. for moving violations, and consider accidents for 5 for underwriting purposes. They actually can only charge for past three when charging points for accident. Not sure about gender neutral rule since I’ve been cleaning toilets for past 30 yrs.

Reactions: Nate The Great

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Due to contrary beliefs or what they told you.. Insurance is only “supposed” to look at the last 5yrs of your driving record.. When in fact they look at all of it, but “supposed” to base off the current 5yrs..

A rumor was said to not disclose gender as Men get charged more than Woman drivers.. So imma try gender neutral since it seems all the rage lately.. :eekk:
A gal named Nate.....
Ya that'll fly well.....!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom