For HWE'rs - Your Best Alternative

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Let's kill this by going back to the question.

If HWE was not available, or lets say there's a water shortage and it isn't allowed, what VLM method would you turn to for your residential cleaning?
Padding, OP, VonShrader, Host, Encap, other ??

Are padding (spin?) and OP (oscillating pad) the same thing? I'd do that, since you're somewhat more successful in removing some soil and maybe leaving less residue than encap or foam. Otherwise I'd let customers know that I was just pushing dirt down until the water shortage is over or they can afford new carpet.

Reactions: Ron Werner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

Are padding (spin?) and OP (oscillating pad) the same thing? I'd do that, since you're somewhat more successful in removing some soil and maybe leaving less residue than encap or foam. Otherwise I'd let customers know that I was just pushing dirt down until the water shortage is over or they can afford new carpet.

Straight encapping makes no attempt to remove any soil, it just (theoretically) encapsulates it to be vacuumed out later. Padding uses absorbent pads to (theoretically) absorb SOME of the soil into the pads. Padcapping combines both, you absorb SOME of the soil, what is left is vac'd out later.

OP is just a machine. Using Tuway-type pads you can use an OP machine to encap, using Glad pads you can padcap, both using an encapsulating shampoo.

You can also encap with other machines, like a CRB or Cimex, but they have no real way to absorb any soil, so they are only useful for straight encap.

Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree

As a major player it surprises me that you do not have a better understanding on how VLM works. I have restored many carpet that have been uglied out from years of HWE. It is what I am well known for.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
As a major player it surprises me that you do not have a better understanding on how VLM works. I have restored many carpet that have been uglied out from years of HWE. It is what I am well known for.

Nope, your claim to fame is being a buffoon.( Here's a pic of Mardie at work)

buffoon-5_zps739c6427.jpg

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
vugequpu.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The comments might seem a little snarky, but I have used a VS machine, bonnet and Host, and understand their place in the cleaning/appearance management world. I understand the preference for HWE for carpet cleaning because of that experience.

Here's a real world scenario:

William Griffin, an instructor (vocational college/IICRC/mill inspector) was volunteering to teach a business class at a high school in a financially depressed area. He used the dirty carpet in the classroom as an example for something, and the kids turned it into a methods testing case. They invited a Host guy, a Von Schrader guy, a padcapper and a HWE company to come in and demonstrate cleaning methods. They scheduled all of the cleaning on the same day so they could hear the claims of all method providers and have the competitors offer rebuttals.

The carpet was beyond appearance management and the padcapper left without doing anything, but I'll give the Host and VS guys credit for giving it their best. All of the carpet cleaned looked better, but the HWE area looked comparitively new. Once we finished our test areas and it was time for rebuttals, I didn't say anything, just put a clean stripe through the other areas. I'm certain the outcome would have been similar if I were using a portable.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yea.

But did he persuade Mardie?
Had Mardie been converted?
Had he seen the light?
Did it finally click?
Had his bell been rung?
Had the chickens come home to roost?

Me thinks not :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: GCCLee

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The comments might seem a little snarky, but I have used a VS machine, bonnet and Host, and understand their place in the cleaning/appearance management world. I understand the preference for HWE for carpet cleaning because of that experience.

Here's a real world scenario:

William Griffin, an instructor (vocational college/IICRC/mill inspector) was volunteering to teach a business class at a high school in a financially depressed area. He used the dirty carpet in the classroom as an example for something, and the kids turned it into a methods testing case. They invited a Host guy, a Von Schrader guy, a padcapper and a HWE company to come in and demonstrate cleaning methods. They scheduled all of the cleaning on the same day so they could hear the claims of all method providers and have the competitors offer rebuttals.

The carpet was beyond appearance management and the padcapper left without doing anything, but I'll give the Host and VS guys credit for giving it their best. All of the carpet cleaned looked better, but the HWE area looked comparitively new. Once we finished our test areas and it was time for rebuttals, I didn't say anything, just put a clean stripe through the other areas. I'm certain the outcome would have been similar if I were using a portable.

What year was that ?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
this thread has made me remember an old saying.....
i don remember ezactly..
but is goes something lik this:

if you wrestle a pig in a mudpit..
you BOTH get dirty......

but the pig has the most fun!

i suggest we all climb outta the mudpit
and let John G and his hand puppet Mardie
have the mud...
they deserve it!

Last edited:

John G

One guy talks and he is a liar, the other talks and it is gospel, you clowns are funny..

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
HWE is considered restorative cleaning. It is also used for maintenance cleaning. All the other methods are interim maintenance cleaning and work extremely well when we clean on a regular basis. If a carpet is trashed we could use all the methods and over a period of time and get similar results. Time is money. If I were a cleaner I would employ all the methods and really learn how to use them.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Here's Mardie waiting for John's ventriloquist act to start. Guess where John's hand goes?

kermit-noooo_zpsa017c5a8.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
im skerrt to ask ......
but what did you put in the search bar to find this......WAIT...i know

John G and Mardie???

i'm back in the mud...ain't i?

Ass puppet gets some interesting results. Now for an assclown search......

Found Mardie's work van.......

NTAC-scout-van-1_zps9b758ec2.jpg

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Is Mardie implying that VS et al. are BETTER now than in years past?

VLM relies on quality chems to perform at its best. VLM chems are getting better and better all the time. Also the equipment for VLM such as the Trinity OP machines has taken all padding to a new level not only with speed but more importantly with how the head reacts with the fiber.. Given Bryans documented results and my personal experience I would have to say his test results are outdated compared to what is available TODAY. I have documentation done by independent carpet and fiber researchers that prove VS is the most effective CC method on the market. BUT I know it is outdated data so it means nothing to me. So Lee the answer to your question is yes VS is much better than in the years past along with ALL VLM related equipment and chems.

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Well I guess it is time to point out the proof of the HWE agenda here on MB. Not one post made in the last 4 pages made by VLM cleaners stated any thing negative towards any other methods to clean carpet. Nor did VLM cleaners make any claims as to being the sole method to be used in all situations. On the other hand the large majority of posts in the last 4 pages are from Mikeys Board Moderators and Administrators. These post are littered with method bashing and personal insults. I let this thread go 4 pages before pointing this out. I do see good info on this board and that is why I am here but find it a real shame that the Moderators and Administrators turn this board into the circus that it is known for.

Agenda??

Odd way of looking at it Bubbles.

HWE is the most widely accepted method across the entire industry by far.

HWE cleaners outnumber VLM only cleaners by ??????????

This board is merely a reflection of the dominance of HWE as a preferred primary method.

With that being said, what else would you expect from a board that does not specifically cater to VLM........a red carpet and gift bags in return for you "enlightening" everyone here??

As far as the mods here, do you really think that if they did not carry that title, that they would believe any differently regarding their methods than they do now??

It's called reality, not an "agenda".

I think you are merely a product of an environment that has been "done wrong" by years of unskilled, unprofessional HWE cleaners for too long of a time, and to your credit, you have been able to capitalize on it, but it is far from a true representation of most other areas where HWE has been practiced successfully as a whole, and accepted by the majority as the preferred method.

It is easy to see how your lack of personal HWE experience, coupled with the piss-poor representation of HWE that you seem to have been witness to can influence your choices, but what you have been exposed to regarding HWE is far from reality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom