Hey Cobb......

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
oie maybe i need to wait a week or so then :?: :?: :?: :?:

I was going to order some next week....hummmm :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dday

floorguy said:
oie maybe i need to wait a week or so then :?: :?: :?: :?:

I was going to order some next week....hummmm :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd wait until there is some word on what went wrong, because I don't know what he sent me, but it is not Powermax. You should wait until they start making Powermax again instead of this stuff.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Why don't y'all just call him. Isnt that how you order.

I your customer had a problem wouldn't you want them to call you first

Or

Would you rather them get on Angie's list or Facebook and air it out there.

Have any of you called them and request a fix, I am pretty sure Larry will fix whatever might be wrong.

I don't know just a thought.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
dealtimeman said:
Why don't y'all just call him. Isnt that how you order.

I your customer had a problem wouldn't you want them to call you first

Or

Would you rather them get on Angie's list or Facebook and air it out there.

Have any of you called them and request a fix, I am pretty sure Larry will fix whatever might be wrong.

I don't know just a thought.

normally i would agree...however one is an isolated issue....

and the other effects a lot of other people as well as future people.....

because 2 other things as i think of it.....

1 person moaning.....ehhhhh just someone being bitchy (we dont have any of those :lol: :lol: :lol: )

2. multiple people and its an issue....plus I know i dont want to order if its not right....i had ordered in the past when jim said it was off, and it was fine (i dunno)

but now there are what 3 or 4??? plus a pic (and yes it looks off)

I hope he takes care of it like John at mytee would....and that those who have the bad batch make a point of telling how well he backed it up....

I truly believe its a give and take on this board, Both good and bad

just my thought...

oh and I wish he would have at least said "thanks for the heads up, ill check over the weekend, or i cant check till monday" Something...most of the guys here are patient if we know someone is looking into it...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
dday said:
Jim Martin said:
yep..sounds like some one screwed up batch 4011 and more.........no word from Cobb yet....(?)

Mine is 42 11, I do not know how Cobb numbers his batches. I assume that 4011 and 4211 were probably made somewhat close in time, as these were all recent orders. Mine arrived either last Thursday or the Thursday before that.

I have used Powermax for four or five years now, and Citrasteam powder before that ... never had a problem before. But this new batch doesn't clean very well at all.
dave105 said:
I just opened a new bucket the other day and noticed too that it was really white too? Did one job with it and noticed it didn't clean up as it usually does. Going to call in the am.

hey can you 2 guys take a picture of it as well?????

dday

floorguy said:
hey can you 2 guys take a picture of it as well?????

I took a pic, but I do not see an "attachment" function to post the pic. If someone here is able to post it, I can email it to you and then you can post it.

The picture shows that it does not have that familar yellow-orange glow. It is not pure white - but it is far closer to white than it is to the yellowishorange it has always been in the past. I wish I had some from my previous bucket to show a side by side comparison, but I used the other completely before opening this one. Anyone who has used Powermax will easily recognize that something is not right with this batch.

dday

Ron Lippold said:
I have never had that problem with judsons stuff.

When Cobb's stuff is right, it out cleans Judson's by a long shot. I did a large greasy restaurant three weeks ago that had been bonnet cleaned for three straight years without ever having been rinsed or extracted. My old Cobb's Powermax side by side with Judson's slop and gobble made the slopgobble look like water. I even thought that maybe my hydroforce wasn't drawing properly, so I mixed up s&g in a pump up as Les suggested ion the ICS board. Powermax, properly prepared, kicked S&G back to my truck and back to a shelf in my shop where it will forever sit to remind me once again not to buy into the bb hype and chems du jour.

Anyhows ... that is why this is so disappointing to me: Cobb's Powermax has always been great stuff. Now it is no better than anything else. So what happened? And why is Larry not communicating better with his customers? I mean, last night he posts a response about a leaky portable but completely ignores a thread with his name in the Title. There is a problem. If he finds none, then that means purchasing more Powermax in the future is at best a crapshoot - as its quality will depend on what type of day his production supervisor is having.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I just opened batch 40-11 and did not see much of a difference until I went out in the truck and grabbed the last container I had of the previous batch.

Same consistency but it is a lot whiter in color.

I will see if I can get pics posted later today.

Color doesn't matter to me but the test will be cleanability on Monday.

dday

KevinD said:
I just opened batch 40-11 and did not see much of a difference until I went out in the truck and grabbed the last container I had of the previous batch.

Same consistency but it is a lot whiter in color.

I will see if I can get pics posted later today.

Color doesn't matter to me but the test will be cleanability on Monday.

I suspect that the color difference is because it was mixed incorrectly. I would guess that this batch is heavy on the oxidizer (perhaps powder brightener?) and light on the citrussolve component. Both myself and another poster noted that the top of the bucket was bulging as though it were ready to blow when it arrived.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
mine is batch 3811 and like I said, It is fine. If needed, I will reluctantly part with it for $300. I will make the sacrifice for a needy cleaner. Plus shipping of course.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I recently ordered also. I havn't opened the new order till now. I have over half a bucket remaining of my other order. I opened it and noticed the same thing. I took a side by side picture of it and it is much lighter. The confusing thing is that citrus doesn't have any color to it. I order his citrus and it is always clear. I did notice the familar citrus smell when I opened it.

Color is definantly off,

I have not used it so I can't attest to its performance,

I did notice the familar citrus smelll

My buckets are always bulging out.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea its always bulging when i get it.....
dday said:
Ron Lippold said:
I have never had that problem with judsons stuff.

When Cobb's stuff is right, it out cleans Judson's by a long shot. I did a large greasy restaurant three weeks ago that had been bonnet cleaned for three straight years without ever having been rinsed or extracted. My old Cobb's Powermax side by side with Judson's slop and gobble made the slopgobble look like water. I even thought that maybe my hydroforce wasn't drawing properly, so I mixed up s&g in a pump up as Les suggested ion the ICS board. Powermax, properly prepared, kicked S&G back to my truck and back to a shelf in my shop where it will forever sit to remind me once again not to buy into the bb hype and chems du jour.

Anyhows ... that is why this is so disappointing to me: Cobb's Powermax has always been great stuff. Now it is no better than anything else. So what happened? And why is Larry not communicating better with his customers? I mean, last night he posts a response about a leaky portable but completely ignores a thread with his name in the Title. There is a problem. If he finds none, then that means purchasing more Powermax in the future is at best a crapshoot - as its quality will depend on what type of day his production supervisor is having.

ehhh i dunno if one out does the other by a long shot.....different situations each one shines, and sometimes it is about the $$$ I really like the 1 oz a gallon on certain commercial jobs, vs the 4ish oz a gallon.....

i keep both on the truck

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
dday said:
I would guess that this batch is heavy on the oxidizer (perhaps powder brightener?)

The oxidizer balls are easy to differentiate from the rest of the powder in Powermax. If you look real close at some from a normal batch, you will see most is a yellow/orange tinted clumpy powder, with tiny bright white balls of SP mixed in. The difference in color and shape make the oxidizer easily noticeable from the rest.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I would like to clear up a few issues on the PowerMax.

1. Color variation appears to be due to our oxidizer reacting with the normal color added to the batch.
Extremely hot warehouse and shipping temps seem to have caused more variation.
We are checking into this color variation.
The color has no relation to the actual cleaning ability.

2. Fragrance variation is of more concern to me.
The fragrance comes from the Citrus solvent, which does add to the degreasing ability.

Larry

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I'm guessing that those production numbers are the 40th and 42nd week of 2011.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
hx2mmv.jpg

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I just check two of our containers. both look good and more importantly smell great.

The citrus pops out and hits you right when you open it up.

20639708.jpg

9386be4f.jpg

Kevin yours definitely lOoks off how does it smell.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
How is the PowerMax compared to Power Burst from prochem? You guys seem really worked up over it. Is it really that good? If you have a prob with your order just ask for a replacement shouldnt be a problem especially since you guys seem to buy a lot from Mr. Cobb.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Larry Cobb said:

1. Color variation appears to be due to our oxidizer reacting with the normal color added to the batch.

The fragrance comes from the Citrus solvent, which does add to the degreasing ability.

Larry

we get pretty hot here Larry...and I have had a bucket open and a bucket that was not open in the truck when I had the vortex.....and in the middle of summer.....I could not even guess how hot it was back there..but after about a week the only thing I noticed was the lid on the new bucket was about to bust at the seams...so I just took my knife and relieved the pressure..I opened it up about another week later and it was still yellow and had the citric smell to it.....as hot as we get here I have yet to see the heat change the powermax....

white and no citric smell........I think someone forgot to hit the "C" button during the mix........

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
That does not make sense, Heat change color? Jim and others said the stuff did not work well so there must be a change in the formula. I am sure the product in question has already been replaced. Have any of you with the defective product had it replaced yet? Can someone answer my question, does the PowerMax work better than my PowerBurst? I would like to try it but looks like hit or miss at this point. My first order from Cobb did not go to well and i havnt ordered from them since, link to post about my issue below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47003&start=30

Larry Cobb said:

Larry

dday

Jim Martin said:
[quote="Larry Cobb":dg3ywkql]2. Fragrance variation is of more concern to me.

Larry
white and no citric smell........I think someone forgot to hit the "C" button during the mix........[/quote:dg3ywkql]

Exactly - white powder, with nothing like the usual citrus hit you get when you open the bucket. I even sprayed some on my finger tips a few times with the hydroforce to sniff it since I could not smell any citrus at all. I did a job yesterday afternoon and presprayed my usual mix at 4:1 and it was little beetr than spraying water on the carpet. I had to re-spray after adding 8 oz of versaclean tot he hydroforce to get it to clean.

So, I have a 45 pound bucket of what?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have never used powerBurst so I can not compare.....but I can say that I have been using Cobbs stuff for a very long time and when it is right....it cleans out everything that I use it on....and I have used it long enough to know when it is off......It is the only pre-spray that I carry on my truck.....I use it on everything....

But..I am going to be honest....sometimes it is a total pain in the ass...for a long time I was not getting my orders on time...so then what I started doing was placing the order when the bucket was half full so I had more time ..that went good for awhile...but the bucket before this last one when it was ordered..did not ship out when they told us it would and never made it in time....

also..this is like the 3rd or 4th time the mix has been off and it did not work....

But....I really like the stuff and it does a great job..so I just keep putting up with it...but it is getting old.....

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Jim Martin said:
I have never used powerBurst so I can not compare.....but I can say that I have been using Cobbs stuff for a very long time and when it is right....it cleans out everything that I use it on....and I have used it long enough to know when it is off......It is the only pre-spray that I carry on my truck.....I use it on everything....

But..I am going to be honest....sometimes it is a total pain in the ass...for a long time I was not getting my orders on time...so then what I started doing was placing the order when the bucket was half full so I had more time ..that went good for awhile...but the bucket before this last one when it was ordered..did not ship out when they told us it would and never made it in time....

also..this is like the 3rd or 4th time the mix has been off and it did not work....

But....I really like the stuff and it does a great job..so I just keep putting up with it...but it is getting old.....

I do the same but with Power Burst for my prespray and to be honest i think it works pretty well. Not a lot of suds so the deformer is not needed in the hoses. I add energy from Pros choice sometimes if needed. So do you use PowerMax for upholstery too? I been trying to scale down the amount of chems in the truck in an effort to keep things simple. My V 777 is limited in shelf space and the way the truck is setup there is a lot of dead space in the front of truck and i try to keep things towards the back of the truck and as you know there is limited chem storage there. I think when i ordered from Cobb they sent me a sample of PowerMax but i don’t remember if i used it or not. How much PowerMax do you to a hydroforce spray jug? I been using 12oz of my PowerBurst per jug.
Have they replaced your defective product yet? I would think they would have had a new bucket sent asap for such a loyal customer.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
No..it is the only carpet pre-spray that I carry..I use other things for tile and UPH...

I use 2 cups in a 7 quart sprayer....and give or take for how clean or dirty the carpet is....
it is rare that I have to add anything with it....

They say that it works good on tile but I have never tried it...but I have noticed that when I get some over spray on the tile and I clean it off with the wand the grout is much cleaner then the rest of the floor..

I have been told I have a replacement on the way......

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim Martin said:
No..it is the only carpet pre-spray that I carry..I use other things for tile and UPH...

They say that it works good on tile but I have never tried it...but I have noticed that when I get some over spray on the tile and I clean it off with the wand the grout is much cleaner then the rest of the floor.
Jim;

A lot of our customers use PowerMax for tile & grout cleaning.

The procedure is to:

1. Prespray the tile & grout

2. Sprinkle DC Powder Brightener (oxidizer) over the difficult areas.

3. Brush it in to distribute the Powder Brightener in the grout lines.

4. Extract with Turbo-Hybrid.

(Harper - We have never decreased the d-Limonene content in PowerMax.
d-Limonene is a crop from U.S. & Brazil.)

Larry

P.S. Grouted floors with floor finish will need a floor stripper in step #1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom