Interview with Jeff Cross 11/15/2007

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Jeff Cross said:
[quote="Jim Pemberton":1vcpl6q6]Are you going to publish the picture you took from the back of the room at the IICRC Board of Directors Meeting?

That photo was a great photo... wish I still had it. I deleted it at the request of the offender.[/quote:1vcpl6q6]

We know you've got a copy somewhere....how much will it cost us? :twisted:

Take care,
Lisa

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Mikey P said:

OK, on the fly, I'd choose:

Jim Pemberton (carpet and furniture cleaning expertise)
Dr. Aziz Ullah (technical knowledge)
Chuck Violand (business management)
Joe Polish (marketing)
Lisa Wagner (business building and rug cleaning)
Neal Seymour (legal issues)
Doyle Bloss (knowledge of the entire industry)
Scott Warrington (a great computer mind)
Brandon Burton (restoration expertise)
Jeremy Reets (restoration expertise)
Carey Vermuelen (restoration expertise)
Dane Gregory (hard floors)

I could come up with more... but those are off the top of my head.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have to thank you for being such a big supporter of this board. You have gone way out of your way to help us promote events. And I really appreciate that you are not afraid to show your face here. Unlike a certain other Trade Magazine editor.

But be honest, did you think this place would do what it's doing?

And how grateful were you that I never let Mikey P rip on your board?

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
truckmount girl said:
Comparing Certified technicians vs. Certified Firms, as a consumer would you feel most comfortable with a Certified Master Cleaner or a Certified Firm who's employees may or may not be certified on your job?

Do you feel the Certified Firm program has value aside from the Certifed technician program? Do you feel the Certified firm tie to the CRI program creates artificial value to the CF program?

Take care,
Lisa

Certified Master Cleaner, especially if it was an owner operator.

The mills are requiring Certified Firms to do residential cleaning...

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Jim Pemberton said:
Go ahead and tell them the story Jeff.

That's why I brought it up

OK, here is the story:

I'm sitting behind Jim at the last IICRC meeting. I was paying attention, getting some needed rest, not snoring at all, I think, and look over at Jim.

He's on Mikey's Board doing some reading and maybe some posting! He has his priorities...

So I send him an email saying I just took his picture. He turned around and looked like a deer in the headlights...

Delete this if you want...

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
do you think the CF is just a money making deal for IICRC? what benefit is it to the registrants, really???

I really think the mills wanted something to help their customers, and the IICRC was one answer.

As far as benefits to registrants, if I was your competitor, I'd become a CF and market the fact that I was only 1 of X number of cleaners approved to clean residential carpet.

We all realize that you can get a great job from a cleaner that doesn't know how to spell certificitian and a lousy job from a cleaner that can spell it in 10 languages. But play the odds and you have a better job with an educated cleaner.

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Mikey P said:
I have to thank you for being such a big supporter of this board. You have gone way out of your way to help us promote events. And I really appreciate that you are not afraid to show your face here. Unlike a certain other Trade Magazine editor.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your hospitality.

The Preacher

would you tell the whole truth or just splash that BS on a post card and bait a customer with it???

how many times were you asked in your career by customer what IICRC meant???

The Preacher

do you truly believe the top of the IICRC (Bishop, Hill, Travis) have the over all interest of this industry at heart??? would they do it for FREE???

Mikey P

Administrator
Jeff Cross said:
[quote="Mikey P":1w2us10e]I have to thank you for being such a big supporter of this board. You have gone way out of your way to help us promote events. And I really appreciate that you are not afraid to show your face here. Unlike a certain other Trade Magazine editor.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your hospitality.[/quote:1w2us10e]

Do you use one of those pocket sharpeners or do you have a professional sharpen your skates?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Jeff Cross said:
We all realize that you can get a great job from a cleaner that doesn't know how to spell certificitian and a lousy job from a cleaner that can spell it in 10 languages. But play the odds and you have a better job with an educated cleaner.

I agree, but don't you think the certified technician, journeyman and Master Cleaner program fill this need adequately...why create the Certified Firm status? Why not just ask certified techs to provide biz license or proof of employment and insurance? Why set up a $150 a pop program that does LESS to assure the client has a competent, trained person on the job?

Take care,
Lisa

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
would you tell the whole truth or just splash that BS on a post card and bait a customer with it???

how many times were you asked in your career by customer what IICRC meant???

The whole truth would be just that.. and, of course, the best cleaning is done by me. Personal touch and all that.

As far as being asked for my "card" - it happened perhaps six times. But I was quick to advertise my certifications. It takes proactive work to get the job done.

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
do you truly believe the top of the IICRC (Bishop, Hill, Travis) have the over all interest of this industry at heart??? would they do it for FREE???

No one works for free...

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
truckmount girl said:
[quote="Jeff Cross":jy4anxow]We all realize that you can get a great job from a cleaner that doesn't know how to spell certificitian and a lousy job from a cleaner that can spell it in 10 languages. But play the odds and you have a better job with an educated cleaner.

I agree, but don't you think the certified technician, journeyman and Master Cleaner program fill this need adequately...why create the Certified Firm status? Why not just ask certified techs to provide biz license or proof of employment and insurance? Why set up a $150 a pop program that does LESS to assure the client has a competent, trained person on the job?

Take care,
Lisa[/quote:jy4anxow]

That's a question for IICRC and the mills. Again, we all realize that, no matter what industry you work in and what position you have, that it's up to the person doing the work.

After all, what do they call the guy that ends up last (in grades) in medical school?

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Mikey P said:
Come on Lisa, do you really not know the answer to that question?

It's easier to whistle Dixie in first class.

How many of you here tonight are Certified Firms or even Certified Technicians?

No matter your response, are you successful?

That's what matters most.

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
have you ever or will you in the future publish the IICRC annual report in your rag???

do you think it's a transparent org???

Rag? I'm afraid my Internet is losing connection.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I'll ask a question... do you guys see a problem with the service industries today? I tried to hire a plumber to install a gas line to a new fireplace in my home. I called half a dozen and couldn't even get an appointment. Didn't care about the price, didn't ask.

I had a similar experience recently. Left message with 3 electricians, none called. Maybe it's not an industry like ours that if you don't get back to the person asap you loose the job.

Albert

The Preacher

what are the perks and benefits of being at the top of the IICRC???

would you ever throw yore hat in the ring to be president of that org???

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
have you ever or will you in the future publish the IICRC annual report in your rag???

do you think it's a transparent org???

Seriously, sure. But it would be boring reading. I believe that this information is public knowledge. I know I've seen it presented at IICRC board of director meetings, and those meetings are open to the public.

Come to the next one and we can sit together and make fun of Jim.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I was ok with the picture.........but having both you AND Danny in the peanut gallery might be too much for my fragile nerves to take....

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Mikey P said:
Can I get personal for a second?

What TV shows do you watch and are you a sports fan?

I watch CSI, ER and Survivor, and a few comedies... my wife is right now watching these shows and I'm stuck/enjoying my time here with you guys.

As far as sports, go Buckeyes! I am still waiting for Ohio to get some professional football teams.

The Preacher

let me re-phrase. your pub is a fine piece of info for our industry, i enjoy it every month. will yore fine upstanding info filled mag publish the annual report of the IICRC and do you support an outside audit of it's business dealings and accounting???

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
Danny Strickland said:
what are the perks and benefits of being at the top of the IICRC???

would you ever throw yore hat in the ring to be president of that org???

I'd say perks and benefits would be industry recognition. No matter who we are (local cleaner or magazine editor) we get where we are with recognition and maybe pure luck.

I can't see me throwing my hat in the ring, if that's how it works... I enjoy what I do right now. I pretty much have three jobs, and that's enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom