Need some truckmount advice.

Name
Arnold & Renae
We have a 2015 Diesel Promaster. Need to buy a truckmount unit. Was able to check out the Saphire 570SS this week. Can I get feedback on the TCS Chief II Diesel. It's between these two machines. Just don't want to leave any stones un turned.

Can I just say what a huge blessing this week was for us and our business. You guys are a pretty amazing bunch of people.

It's pretty easy to get sucked in to Mikey's board.

Name
Arnold & Renae
Thats very funny. Actually we both do both. We Rock, Paper Scissors to see who is boss for the day. This is Renae, by the way. I do clean by myself if I need to. So many things to think about in buying new equipment. I have to be able to operate it if the situation ever calls for it. I think we have narrowed it down to these two machines.

Name
Arnold & Renae
We are. Its just time. We have always used the Rotovac 360i and 360xl and have had great results, but this week opened our eyes to a better direction in productivity for us. The van, the zipper, the cimax and a truckmount. We have been planning this for a while. No more trips to florida. The money tree has officially run out.

Name
Arnold & Renae
It definitely keeps me moving so the ole joints don't get stiff.

So who is the authority on the Chief II. Jim has been great and we like the Saphire but since we have a diesel van we thought we should look into it.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
There they are!

Glad to see you guys here. It was great hanging out with you two.

There was a Cobb unit you mentioned too. Is that a contender too?

Maybe give a short list of things that are most important to YOU in the Truckmount you are looking for.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I love that van platform. Spent several minutes inside the back of one, very roomy.

Sapphire has designed the new Pro 1200 to be perhaps adaptable to the new platforms, so I'd love to see it in your diesel.

Name
Arnold & Renae
Northwestern, Pa (Conneautville) Its barely on the map.

Its pretty roomy. We are vertically challenged so we stand up inside of it. Will have to look into the Pro 1200.

I think Arnold ruled out the cobb for some reason. Not entirely sure why. Will definitely make a list.

Name
Arnold & Renae
Good Evening Marty. Would really appreciate some input on the Chief II regarding performance and customer service. We primarily do commercial carpet and hard surface cleaning. Very minimal residential. Could we run two hoses without losing heat or pressure? Is it complicated to maintain? I am pretty mechanically inclined for a female but not a mechanic.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You don't have to be limited by diesel fuel. You can mount a fuel cell for gas to run any TM you like. If no one in your town builds or sells them you can get them from Summit or any racing supplier.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey guys... Was such a pleasure to meet and spend time with both of you.

I have got back last night and hit the ground running, but please let me know how we can be of help ANYTIME My wife Shari really enjoyed her time with you too.

We are very excited for you and hoping for wonderful continued success.

We were really excited when I heard you winning the Zipper coupon... Just awesome!
:)

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Welcome to the forum guys. Using this forum will help you avoid some mistakes and become more confident. My recommendation is to not get carried away with all the extra tools. If a $3000 tool is neat but won't bring you $3000 for having it then perhaps it can wait. On the flip side, many tools do increase productivity and cleaning quality paying for itself.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good Evening Marty. Would really appreciate some input on the Chief II regarding performance and customer service. We primarily do commercial carpet and hard surface cleaning. Very minimal residential. Could we run two hoses without losing heat or pressure? Is it complicated to maintain? I am pretty mechanically inclined for a female but not a mechanic.

I'll give you an answer later today.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
What did you guys mean by "run 2 hoses"? Are you looking to run more than one tool at a time?

hogjowl

Idiot™

I have been running a Chief II since Mikey was at Coit and love the machine. The thing I like about TCS is that they have been making essentially the same machines for decades and have the kinks worked out of them. There's no experimenting with new designs by using cleaners. You get a working unit with no complicated sensors, check valves or oxygen pulsation dampeners to screw up and cause you problems. My first unit was a Prochem and I had constant problems with check valves in the pump and electronic sensors going out. It was ridiculous! You get none of those annoyances with TCS machines. Their customer service has always been top notch for me.

If commercial carpet is your game, my 0nly concern with TCS or any slide in unit would be the lack of security. Just remember that your van will be wide open ... at night ...

The diesel version will allow you to clean with higher pressure. 1200 psi is the sweet spot, in my opinion, and you can get that (and a little more, I think) with the Chief II D. The gas version limits me to 850 psi, and that is not enough for tile and grout.

No, you can NOT realistically run dual wands with the Chief II. Not at anywhere near the hose runs you will need for commercial. Occasionally, I will run a 100 ft carpet cleaning line with another 100 ft. upholstery line, but I never try to dual wand carpet. If you come from a portable environment, you would be happy with the suck of a dual wand Chief II, but once you get used to cleaning with 600 psi and the suction of the 47 blower, you will quickly become dissatisfied with the performance the 47 blower on the Chief will offer while dualing. It IS and awesome single wand unit though, and the heat is great.

The maintenance on it is simple. Change the oil and filter ever 50 hours. The manual says 100, but trust me, do it at 50. The only things you need to keep in stock are spare belts and a fuel pump. That's all that will give you problems, and by "problems" I mean you may have the belts go every couple of years and the fuel pump once in 5 years. You just keep them around so you don't get blind sided by them when it happens. Other than that, you just need spare solution hose couplers and shut off valves. Change the Goodyear solution hose out every year or year and a half, even if it looks ok. You can take a TCS machine into any distributor and get it serviced. Even the Sapphire guys can figure it out.

Do I recommend the TCS unit for you? Actually, no. If you are determined to get a slide in unit, then yes. The TCS will be as good as any and better than most. But, you don't want a slide in unit. And don't let some idiot try to talk you into an "electric truckmount".

What you need is an Aerotech. It offers everything you need. However, it's expensive and probably out of your comfort range price wise. Next thing I would be looking at is a Butler (despite its space limitations). The Hydramaster CDS would be a good unit for you, IF you have a local dist. to offer service. In fact, if you have close local people, I'd recommend it over the Butler. Stay away from Sapphire. It's too new, unproven and despite what the local talking shills will say, they're still working the bugs out of their 1200. You don't want to be their test subject.

What are the negatives with a TCS unit?
The heat. It's a killer inside the van. The engine, blower and heater put out a ton of heat. It kills engines. That is why I recommend 50 hour oil and filter changes. I learned the hard way that 100 hours is not enough. Buying a new engine every 2000 hours gets old really fast. You also have very little storage room if you run a standard van. You'll need an extended van or a Sprinter, if you go diesel, to have any room.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I love Marty. Well not really more "like" .
Actually that's a bit of an over statement, it more of "Tolorate" him

Ya know what? I really don't care for the guy! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom