Need some truckmount advice.

J

JS41035

It really pisses me off that Butler has screwed up a really well built system by spreading it out all over the van and taking away local support.
I keep saying that too. But when your at a show with all the machines setting in a row. If you had to pick one setup to drive out of the parking lot and go clean a nice house, which would it be?
What do you do 90% of the time? Buy a machine that's the most efficient for that.
For most of us its single wand CCing.
I do a ton of dual wanding. 3 weeks out of the year. Is it worth having a dual wand capable machine for just 3 weeks work? For me it's better to have a spare 405 on a trailer. And a nice single wand DD the rest of the year.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well, personally, I nap much of the afternoon.

But when I'm cleaning, it always single wanding. I suppose I will take my current van along with the new one to some jobs.

It looks like, if I buy a direct drive, it's narrowed down to Butler or Cleanco.

I actually like the Butler better. I think it's probably a better built machine.

I just hate not to give my business to TCS.
I hate not to have someone within 3 hours driving distance to help in case of a major repair.
And I hate not having the space of a Cleanco.

But, in the end, stainless tanks and a more proven track record will probably win out. (Have YOU ever met a Cleanco owner in person?)

Reactions: Bill Bruders

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I keep saying that too. But when your at a show with all the machines setting in a row. If you had to pick one setup to drive out of the parking lot and go clean a nice house, which would it be?
In may case, most definitely not a Butler.
A fully equipped CDS, Pro-1200 and or Cleanco, look every bit as good through the side door. Actually better, as the machine is bigger and more imposing (for the shallow minded.)

And how many of your clients, without you bribing or extorting them (emotionally or otherwise), actually come out and check your rig?

Dependable, efficient as in maximizing storage space wins every day.
Parked in the parking lot for walk ins to view?- Butler.
Ask Marko.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man that's a tough decision. My distributor still makes a face when we bring a Butler in for service. (he missed out on a sale). I almost bought a Prochem/Cleanco from him just so he would get the sale but we went Butler.

I think with the advancements made with the 1200, it would be a hard decision between it and the Butler when it comes to a van powered unit.

But when it comes time I'll probably do as Jim Martin and get a 570 just because I can slip into an existing truck.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The weak point with Cleanco, from the people I'm talking to, is the drive belt. They say it goes out often, and when it does, it is a bitch to change. Supposedly, the slit (yes I said slit) of room you have to push it through is narrower than the belt itself, so you score the belt pushing it through. Which shortens it's life. Otherwise, you have to drop the drive shaft to do it. To have the dist. do it ... $300. Which for me would be a 3 hour drive.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
FWIW, mine hasn't gone bad in the time I've owned it. I've put just shy of 1K hours on the machine and @ 15K Miles on the Ford.

The belt was not new when I bought it but I can't say how old.

That being said, the replacement is sitting on my passenger seat to remind me that it's a priority.

No belts, at all, have been changed or adjusted or fooled with in any way since I bought it 2 summers ago.

That's about to change. I'm digging in soon...

Name
Marcus
You might look up Judson's in n Carolina...he also tweeks used truckmounts.....
Pto is nice up north in cold weather, but the van goes down the truckmount is down
The truckmount goes down the van is down....also expensive to repair and nead more heat IMO.

Name
Arnold & Renae
Good morning gentlemen. We are still working on a truckmount. Have made no decisions as of yet. We did speak with Jim on Monday and as usual he was very helpful. Arnold is leaning towards the Cheif II D for fuel and longevity purposes since we own a diesel van. Waiting on a layout design from TCS. That's a slow process. Need to maximize space. Here is a question. In our current van (butler) everything comes out the side doors with shelves in the back. TCS is talking about putting the unit in the side and hose out the back. Any opinions on good layouts.

Thanks a ton for hangin in here with me.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Renae I think that's more of a personal preference. I think Arnold or your tech's will get used to it. We have run our side in's both ways. Out the side when there is enough room and hoses all out the back when there isn't. As long as the unit is mounted on the side it shouldn't matter.

Have you done your homework on diesel powered units? They are not many out there compared to gas.

I would personally want to talk to those that own them and see if they would purchase that type of unit again. I'd also want to look over their truck and see if it stinks like diesel. Personally I hate the smell of diesel. :errf:

Reactions: Larry Cobb
Name
Lee Stockwell
As in the show unit Steve Cameron brought to MF pictured above, I'd be sure to have a partition behind the seats. I do that even with my gas trucks.

Keeps heat and smell in the back, and allows near instant AC when getting back in the truck for the next job.

Reactions: bob vawter

hogjowl

Idiot™
Steve Cameron has sold that rig, from what I understand. I THINK the issue with it was the size of the van he put it in, but it would be good to talk to him about his experiences with it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I had a Diesel Apex. Great machine.
I understand the preference for diesel, it is so much easier to have one fuel source
The only issue is that when it works and if the wind or airflow is directing towards the house, it will have that strong diesel smell.
I am not talking about fumes, just that distinct diesel smell.

I prefer side door (sliding). It definitely works better in a city environment, as parking is tight and at times there's very little space to open the back door. Also sliding, as at times we have sidewalk trees that will not allow barn doors style to open. Other then that, definitely a personal preference.

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ofer did the truck in general smell from exhaust residue? I know those that burn kero in their heaters stink and leave a nasty film on everything but always wondered about heat exchange units that were diesel powered.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
No. I had it exhausted out, I installed an exhaust pipe just for the machine that was run parallel to the van's exhaust pipe, all the way to the back. Never smelled from Diesel in the truck.

However when there was an air draw into the house I was cleaning, even if the van was parked a fair distance away, you'd still get that diesel smell.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
We have a 2015 Diesel Promaster. Need to buy a truckmount unit. Was able to check out the Saphire 570SS this week. Can I get feedback on the TCS Chief II Diesel. It's between these two machines. Just don't want to leave any stones un turned.

Can I just say what a huge blessing this week was for us and our business. You guys are a pretty amazing bunch of people.

It's pretty easy to get sucked in to Mikey's board.

I did not read this entire thread ( i really do not need to )..but what I can tell you is that you are never going to find a better combination the the 570 and the zipper...the 570 has no problem delivering the heat and the chamber on the zipper holds that heat as it is flushing out the carpets...and between the vacuum that the 570 will give you and the design of the zipper...the carpets are left the driest I have ever seen them....

PC290203_zps9b0c5ac4.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom