Need some truckmount advice.

hogjowl

Idiot™
You don't have to be very mechanical to operate any TCS TM. I am a living testament to that.

I'm interested in seeing how you plumb the exhaust. And I'm going to send Mike and Will hate mail if I like it better than mine.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not knocking TCS or the Chief II. I just think anyone buying a machine should run the machine and clean with it before making a purchasing decision. It saves on buyers remorse and with the dollars that a TM costs, you don't want to be unhappy with your purchase.

Marty knows that machine like the back of his as* but not the Chief II.

Diesel in my opinion makes it a whole different animal. ???

sMarty have you run the Chief II?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I plumbed the exhaust in my Sprinter through the step of the side door, to the back just beyond the sliding door once opened and turning sideways.
Never got any smell or soot in the van.

I think diesel engines vibrate more. Therefore, more attention should be given to dealing with that. I am sure TCS is aware of it. After all they were able to perform miracles and satisfy Marty who's a big Rolling Stones fan:

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm not knocking TCS or the Chief II. I just think anyone buying a machine should run the machine and clean with it before making a purchasing decision. It saves on buyers remorse and with the dollars that a TM costs, you don't want to be unhappy with your purchase.

Marty knows that machine like the back of his as* but not the Chief II.

Diesel in my opinion makes it a whole different animal. ???

sMarty have you run the Chief II?

That's the machine I have.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It just comes out the side door with a slight downward bend. Actually, in my opinion, it's not the engine exhaust (on my gas rig) that is the problem. It's the propane heater soot and the engine oil leaks. All the gas engines I've owned (Kohler, Briggs and Honda) all leak oil. The soot from the heater gets on things, no matter how well you keep the burner ring clean.

In fact, the soot and oil issues, along with the security issues with having the doors open all the time I'm cleaning, and the heat inside the van, are the very reasons I have been looking at a CDS unit. But, in the end, I bet I end up with a Chief II, but go with a diesel heater instead of a propane one. Not one of the CDS units that I would consider offers the performance of a TCS rig.

I've got until December to make up my mind.

Name
Marcus
Agreed with the deisel heater, but use kerosene if you can find it .
It burns a lot cleaner almost like propane and gives you 10-20 degree more heat
So you can turn it down....I run my burner with kero around 140-160 but I use a lot of water flow 14-16.
This being said I burn maybe 1/4 gallon kero an hour not bad for the benefits.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Do you have to have the kero shipped in?

I checked into it some years ago.
don't know about your local fuel distys, but here the farmers (or anyone with a bulk tank) can get fuel oil (diesel) delivered bulk with a minimum 150 gal order
But not kero...it comes in 55gal drums ..and they charge for delivery

You can take your own drums or large tanks to them, but they'll only sell you so much unless you have the correct DOT placards to haul

but go with a diesel heater instead of a propane one

better vent it up and outside the van.
if you think propane is sooty, you ain't seen sheeit til you burn diesel .
burning Kero helps a LOT with soot...but they still don't burn near as clean as propane

I've run both..
propane for the first few years, HX for a couple, and kero burners for near 20 years.
Kero is reasonably easily found here...most all the Sheets gas stations, (of which there are plenty here) have it year 'round

kero burners are also more quirky than propane due to more stuff needed like igniters, fuel pumps, soliniods, blower, etc and electric power source to run it all.

as picky and meticulous as you are with your truck, coupled with your lack of mechanical aptitude (not a knock, just being realistic) not sure a kero burner is right for you

..L.T.A.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just think anyone buying a machine should run the machine and clean with it before making a purchasing decision. It saves on buyers remorse and with the dollars that a TM costs, you don't want to be unhappy with your purchase.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the way big distys work... I was told if I wanted to try the unit before buying they they could contact someone who has one(locally), basically a competing business and check it out that way. Uggggggg, I'd imagine most don't take them up on this. Seems dumb, hey buy this 20k item, BUT YOU CAN'T TRY IT!

They should at least have one of each manufacture they carry for clients to start/run for a few minutes...

Name
Arnold & Renae
Well here she is.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 289
Name
Arnold & Renae
Still have to get the shelving and other equipment back in. Went with a small fresh water tank for space purposes. Definitely will be a change but should be fine. Don't typically find ourselves without a water source. Headed to Germany for two weeks. Looking forward to using her when we get back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom