New Hi-AirWatt Portable Arrives

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
QUOTE="Desk Jockey: Commercial building generally require portable equipment. So in commercial buildings - Portable Extraction compared to your Cimex "process" . . .

Setup time:Finding sufficient outlets to run the power required takes time to make sure you are on separate circuits. Breeze has circuit indicator for separate circuits

Professionalism: Do you think this is really what the client thought the process was going to look like when they called to have their carpet cleaned? Extraction into waste water vs. brushed up & around into the breathing zone environment

Dry Time: Added humidity to the indoor environment via the exhaust from the vac blowers hinders the drying time. We measured 90% water recovery in initial testing

Contaminating the Indoor Environment: Any urine, animal, vomit or other nasty containment is going to be redistributed back into the home only first heated up and then spread back into the home.
90% disposed of down the drain vs redistributing 100% evenly over clean carpet

Cleaning Time: The ole Bucket Brigade is slow and inefficient. You're eating up the clients time when the TM cleaner would already be down the road More time and more professionalism

Slow Production:
Because of all the above it actually affects your pocket by limiting your per hour production. Ride-on carpet extractors will out produce your Cimexes !

The only factor that gives the purchase of a portable the upper hand is purchase price.
We have provided Ride-on extractors & portables that cost the same $$
--------------
Where is the respected Dr. Berry ??

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Commercial building generally require portable equipment. So in commercial buildings comparing to your professional Cimex. . .
We use TM’s all the time on commercial work. Just this AM we have our Prochem Everest out running two Zipper Spinners at some corporate offices cleaning 5,000 sq/ft.
Other than banks and above ground level work we still use TM’s. Yes, we would much rather go low moisture when the only alternative is a portable.

Setup time:Finding sufficient outlets to run the power required takes time to make sure you are on separate circuits. Breeze has circuit indicator for separate circuits
It still takes time to go from room to room and back to the machine to see if its ok to run.

Professionalism: Do you think this is really what the client thought the process was going to look like when they called to have their carpet cleaned? Extraction into waste water vs. brushed back into the breathing zone environment

Not sure what this meant?

Dry Time: Added humidity to the indoor environment via the exhaust from the vac blowers hinders the drying time. We measured 90% water recovery in initial testing
Sorry, I must not have been clear. HUMIDITY from the vacuum exhaust increases the humidity in the home or business which prolongs the drying.

Contaminating the Indoor Environment: Any urine, animal, vomit or other nasty containment is going to be redistributed back into the home only first heated up and then spread back into the home.
90% disposed of down the drain vs redistributing 100% evenly over clean carpet
The AIR being pushed back into the living space is being polluted by the vacuum exhaust.

Cleaning Time: The ole Bucket Brigade is slow and inefficient. You're eating up the clients time when the TM cleaner would already be down the road More time and more professionalism

A guy at the door with a portable that is going to run cords criss crossing my home is more professional that a TM. Lol
NOBODY believes that, not even porty owners. Well, maybe a Porty salesman...maybe. :oldrolleyes:

Slow Production: Because of all the above it actually affects your pocket by limiting your per hour production. Ride-on carpet extractors will out produce your Cimexes !
We don’t use Cimex’s in homes. Business only. The discussion is portables, you keep drifting to Cimex’s???

The only factor that gives the purchase of a portable the upper hand is purchase price.
We can get you Ride-on extractors & portables that cost the same $$
We have enough carpet cleaning equipment. I just bought 4 Ozone units, some airmovers, Firebird heat dryers and a new full sized Transit this week. I can’t afford anymore purchases this month. :errf:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Well....

Portables have inherent limitations in time/job and cleaning power.

I think the latter is only occasionally important as when Saiger degreases that restaurant carpet. Most residential work is well within reach.

However it is not necessarily true that work quality is lower; quality has more to do with the workman than the equipment. Customers who understand that they need to set an extra plate at the diner table seem to appreciate the extra pampering.

Give a little, take a little. Each person lives with their decisions.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not picking on you Stephen.

I'd debate if it could clean as well but the reality is that "if" it could, its is going to take much more effort and time to do so. Time is money, a TM allows you to deliver a superior product, in reasonable time, with minimal effort. It only makes sense to use one over a portable.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Richard I did not think you were picking on me, my friend. I'm just trying to add to the conversation. Its all good.

I am limited by never having used a truckmount, but I equate it to pressure washing and it is easily the case that more capacity means better and easier jobs. So I see your point of view.

On the other hand, there is a certain something to entering the field inexpensively, paying your dues and learning to wrangle equipment to best advantage before betting the farm on a $60,000 truck.

---signed, BDPH

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Good I was hoping I didn't offend you.

It's how we all started. I spend several decades with many different brands of portables.

A couple of years ago I bought a new high end portable for the rare occasions. Everyone here hates it. Hard to argue with them when I feel the same way. :biggrin:

Reactions: Old Coastie

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
A couple of years ago I bought a new high end portable for the rare occasions. Everyone here hates it. Hard to argue with them when I feel the same way. :biggrin:

Let's see when your customer requires a portable . . .

You, and everyone on your staff hate it . . .
(training needs work)

What kind of professional job will I get ???

NOT

Reactions: Goomer

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Tell you what Larry how about a challenge? You bring your super duper rug doctor to Mikeyfest to see how it does against an entry level TM. We will load it on a van and start the clock.

We will compare, time, results cleaning two like rooms. One man or two, your choice. How about it? I always love a giving a good ass kickin. Could be very entertaining. :biggrin:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Tell you what Larry how about a challenge? You bring your super duper rug doctor to Mikeyfest to see how it does against an entry level TM. We will load it on a van and start the clock.

We will compare, time, results cleaning two like rooms. One man or two, your choice. How about it? I always love a giving a good ass kickin. Could be very entertaining. :biggrin:
Challenges aren't encouraged at mf. I tried to challenge the zipper and nothing but excuses got in my way.

Reactions: Jimmy L

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
IF it were true Stephen there are still so many factors that make a portable a poor comparison to a TM, even an entry level one.

Setup time:Finding sufficient outlets to run the power required takes time to make sure you are on separate circuits.
This is a non issue for an experienced portable user, it is not rocket science

Professionalism: Do you think this is really what the client thought the process was going to look like when they called to have their carpet cleaned? Black spaghetti?
This will depend where you live and the type of customers one has, they've seen portables before and more and more now OP machines

Dry Time: Added humidity to the indoor environment via the exhaust from the vac blowers hinders the drying time.
Yea this would be an issue if your in a hot and humid state and customer has no central AC but at that point does it even matter, if one has a good portable you can do as i do and park it outside the front door and problem solved, yea i know you have to have the door open enough to run hose in but this applies to TM as well
Leave the portable outside the front door, problem solved
Cleaning Time: The ole Bucket Brigade is slow and inefficient. You're eating up the clients time when the TM cleaner would already be down the road
They do make portables with auto fill and auto dump, not really an issue, mine has both, however i only use auto dump on it and my helper keeps freshwater/solution tank full no need for me to have to stop so not an issue. Today I did a real nasty one, 5 rooms in 1.5 hours total and that included a pre vac, and pre spray on most area's and spots and bought in the 175 with solution tank and carpet brush and ran that over entire job, then rinsed and extracted with my portable. I think thats pretty dam good
Slow Production: Because of all the above it actually affects your pocket by limiting your per hour production. Portables aren't actually cheaper, they cost you more money! For a newbie, yes, not so much for an experienced hard worker

The only factor that gives the purchase of a portable the upper hand is purchase price. :errf:

Don't take anything I said the wrong way. A TM would make my life a bit more easy and if i could afford one i'd do it. But i'd not only have to buy the TM but a new van as well my 2006 dodge grand caravan just won't cut it as far as a TM goes but works just fine the way i'm set up now.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hell we refuse portable work. Better ways to make a dollar!
My portable makes me $150-200 per hour. Kinda hard to refuse that. You use the best machine for each job. If my TM is the best, that's what I use. Same with the portable or the Sprayborg. Nobody's saying a portable is as good as a TM, of course it's not. Like everybody else I started with a wimpy portable and worked my up to a TM. Along the way, I always did good work. As you progress, you find methods and machines that improve your performance and speed. I could not go back to using a portable in houses, I would feel that I am ripping the customer off, even though I could do an acceptable job, it's just not the same.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Don't take anything I said the wrong way. A TM would make my life a bit more easy and if i could afford one i'd do it. But i'd not only have to buy the TM but a new van as well my 2006 dodge grand caravan just won't cut it as far as a TM goes but works just fine the way i'm set up now.
You might not need a van. I'm seeing some dudes install a 370 in minivans. Definitely something for you to consider.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Challenges aren't encouraged at mf. I tried to challenge the zipper and nothing but excuses got in my way.
Ok maybe I worded that incorrectly. How about we "Test" the two systems (lol like a portable is a system) and see what results we get in REAL world situations.

There would be plenty of interest. If your machine can do what you say, you could sell many machines. Plus as an added bonus you could shut me up. Come on, that alone would be worth the trip! :biggrin:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ok how about an analogy.

You can use a screw driver to put in a screw or take one out. They are relatively cheap. Although you can get cushy handles, ones that store different heads in the handle. Even nicer are ratchet drive ones.

However compare a manual screw driver to a nice battery hammer drill and they don't compare.

Both can perform the same task but one does it more efficiently. So if you were paid by the number of screws you drive in, which is the better tool for the task?

I forgot my point...never mind! :winky:

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Ok how about an analogy.

You can use a screw driver to put in a screw or take one out. They are relatively cheap. Although you can get cushy handles, ones that store different heads in the handle. Even nicer are ratchet drive ones.

However compare a manual screw driver to a nice battery hammer drill and they don't compare.

Both can perform the same task but one does it more efficiently. So if you were paid by the number of screws you drive in, which is the better tool for the task?

I forgot my point...never mind! :winky:

People seem to like analogies and yours is one of the better ones i've heard but the screw still gets screwed in either way ( no pun intended)
If I was building a deck for someone and I saw a manual screw driver and a power drill sitting there of course i'd choose the power drill, it would get the job done faster but not any better
so here's another one "there's more then one way to skin a cat" ( no harm to cats intended or suggested )
I will eventually get a TM myself but not because I think i'll be able to clean better with it, but because it will be much easier on my poor back and a little faster as well.

Although i've only ever owned a portable i am friends with another local cleaner who has a TM, we help each other out from time to time so i have used one, i will admit that when he calls me to help him on a job it is nice to not have to load and unload a portable.

However sometimes he calls me to help him when he gets a job in a high-rise up on the 10th floor or above, we use my portable on those ( thank god for elevators ) he always says how impressed he is with the suction and power of my portable (Mytee LTD5) he says it's not that far off from his TM now I only use 50ft of 2 inch vac hose too, i'm sure if i tired to run 100 foot or more there'd be no comparison at all

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
People seem to like analogies and yours is one of the better ones i've heard but the screw still gets screwed in either way ( no pun intended)
If I was building a deck for someone and I saw a manual screw driver and a power drill sitting there of course i'd choose the power drill, it would get the job done faster but not any better
so here's another one "there's more then one way to skin a cat" ( no harm to cats intended or suggested )
I will eventually get a TM myself but not because I think i'll be able to clean better with it, but because it will be much easier on my poor back and a little faster as well.

Although i've only ever owned a portable i am friends with another local cleaner who has a TM, we help each other out from time to time so i have used one, i will admit that when he calls me to help him on a job it is nice to not have to load and unload a portable.

However sometimes he calls me to help him when he gets a job in a high-rise up on the 10th floor or above, we use my portable on those ( thank god for elevators ) he always says how impressed he is with the suction and power of my portable (Mytee LTD5) he says it's not that far off from his TM now I only use 50ft of 2 inch vac hose too, i'm sure if i tired to run 100 foot or more there'd be no comparison at all
That's a very good way to look at it as a carpet cleaner

Desk jockey is looking at it as a business owner

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

No offense intended , Kev, I promise, cause my "spidy senses" suggest you're a conscientious, quality focused operator with enough smarts to do well in this biz

but you don't know what you don't know.
(Being on a few jobs w/TM isn't the same as running one every day)

If you'd borrow his TM and ran it yourself full time for a month or two, then you'd know something.
and I'd bet my last Little Debbie oatmeal cream pie you'd see it different.

The efficiency increases alone with a well set up van and TM are more than substantial ...even astronomical depending on your average job size and/or how many set-ups a day

I don't know what your future biz goals entail, nor how long you've been at it.
But if your biz plan is to be a full time owner/op netting $50-$60K a year without working dawn to dusk, you'll do well make a van and TM happen as soon as financially feasible/possible

yea, $800-$1200 a month is a big nut to crack every month for a shinny new well equipped outfit.
But I think you're sharp enough (and appear to be mechanical enough) to find a way to get that done for half that with a used van in good looking shape and serviceable used (but not abused) sm to mid size slide in

you'll think you died and went to heaven working with an efficiently set up van and TM...fo-reel

..L.T.A.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We build TM's from the engineering drawing up.
Laser cutting stainless for HX assembly, welding for hi-vac level tank assembly, engine & blower selection and final break-in operation.
I appreciate the capability of TM power @ 17" lift.

I have also cleaned & flood extracted with a portable in high-rise and many secure locations, where TM's were not an option.

A professional cleaner needs both options for taking care of customers.

Vacuum levels are increasing for both new technology TM's and portables.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
All you need is an entry level tm to see how it improves your time and effort.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
We build TM's from the engineering drawing up.
Laser cutting stainless for HX assembly, welding for hi-vac level tank assembly, engine & blower selection and final break-in operation.
I appreciate the capability of TM power @ 17" lift.

I have also cleaned & flood extracted with a portable in high-rise and many secure locations, where TM's were not an option.

A professional cleaner needs both options for taking care of customers.

Vacuum levels are increasing for both new technology TM's and portables.
I hope to see your truckmount at mikeysfest. I was always curios to see your design on how it handles heat without pulling the trigger on the wand. And aren't you worried about the blower working too hard over 16hg?

To my knowledge, only steam action goes over 16hg, and their blowers are liquid cooled

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
@kevinj6121

These assholes harasssed me pulling a trailer, still using a handwritten calendar, and using a 175 to agitate the carpet

I finally took their ass whooping and got a crb, scheduling software, and transitioned over to a box truck. My business is doing great so far

If your budget allows, spend a little more now. Your back and business will thank you

Reactions: Nate The Great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom