Oh Dang it, there goes the competition for Devastating Tom

EDS

Name
Ed
:biggrin:
Hate to burst your bubble...but your customers could care less about the tools you use. Focus on marking the Shxt out of YOURSELF and you'll do much better. It can't hurt to mention that you can get under their beds with out having to move them or take off the mattress and box spring, but I would make this a feature/benefit and not build a marketing strategy around the wand.
And Meg you can burst my bubble anytime..:biggrin:

I appreciate your feedback...

Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Hate to burst your bubble...but your customers could care less about the tools you use. Focus on marking the Shxt out of YOURSELF and you'll do much better. It can't hurt to mention that you can get under their beds with out having to move them or take off the mattress and box spring, but I would make this a feature/benefit and not build a marketing strategy around the wand.

X2

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Exactly, I hear you didn't do that last time or that looks new, and I'll say we're always trying to improve.

But in reality customers love a great job, and a personality.

I try to make friends with every customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad74

EDS

Name
Ed
Agreed. I always try to leave an impression as well. But sometimes no. My persona depends on the customer and what they are expecting.

Some want to learn about carpets while others could care less and just want the job done.

Being too annoying and friendly to those people is a sure way for them to never call you back....

The best job possible should always be number one. I am finding out that I need less of a personality now that I'm following your guy's lead. Some people want to see the dust collector trays from the CRB and some don't...know your audience....

Reactions: SamIam

EDS

Name
Ed
It is not an all or nothing proposition...just one part of the pie.

And when my competition acquires new tools that is good for the industry and customers. Don't get me wrong you don't need the best tools to be the best.

I think Grant demonstrated that by using a Bissal to clean carpets. Regardless you must have passion!!!

My goal is to market that passion in all of its manfistations....tools, knowledge and quality...

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Kevin De Medeiros
Lol. Yes that's a good point. However I feel that when differentiating between companies most people are looking for someone experienced, trustworthy who's going to provide a professional and unique cleaning experience and who will back up their work. Also helps to use safer cleaning solutions. It's all relative but find if you are going to use ur equipment as your main marketing ploy its not as important to clients as us carpet cleaners think.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Focus on doing quality work and your competition isn't your competition anymore. This took me awhile to realize this and it really hit me hard yesterday. It's low hanging fruit.

My area is filled with low priced hacks. I think there are about 59 cleaners in our phone book and another 50 under the radar in unmarked vans. One guy puts out 50k flyers a month and advertises at about .10-.13 per sqft. I met with him yesterday and we started talking. He had no clue what half of the equipment was in my van. He didn't know of MB or other forums. His van was a complete mess but I'm sure it was organized to him. He was running 1.5" wands with no glides and had a very old 20hp/45 TM. He was a nice guy, but it really made me realize the gap between cleaners. Most of these guys I meet don't even know there is such a gap. That's why I say, low hanging fruit. It doesn't take much to be better. You just need to keep learning and trying.

Last edited:

EDS

Name
Ed
He had no clue what half of the equipment was in my van. He didn't know of MB or other forums. His van was a complete mess but I'm sure it was organized to him. He was running 1.5" wands with no glides and had a very old 20hp/45 TM. He was a nice guy, but it really made me realize the gap between cleaners.
Exact same thing here. All carpet cleaners are not equal...and yes ploys are just ploys. Tools are one component of the marketing strategy.

trustworthy who's going to provide a professional and unique cleaning experience and who will back up their work.

Been there done that...when I was not pre-vacuuming. I can give that to the customer and excel but I am only lying to myself If i think that was my best...it can't be all about customer service all the time. Buttering up the customer to accept that the traffic lane patterns could not be removed.

When in fact, if I would pre-vacuumed , let it dwell for just a little bit longer, pre-scrubbed with a crb and extracted with a decent wand they would have. That is my marketing tool...

EDS

Name
Ed
He sounds like a all bran muffin guy to me...work out some of his problems...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Exact same thing here. All carpet cleaners are not equal...and yes ploys are just ploys. Tools are one component of the marketing strategy.

Been there done that...when I was not pre-vacuuming. I can give that to the customer and excel but I am only lying to myself If i think that was my best...it can't be all about customer service all the time. Buttering up the customer to accept that the traffic lane patterns could not be removed.

When in fact, if I would pre-vacuumed , let it dwell for just a little bit longer, pre-scrubbed with a crb and extracted with a decent wand they would have. That is my marketing tool...

People for years marketed R/E

EDS

Name
Ed
most people are looking for someone experienced, trustworthy who's going to provide a professional and unique cleaning experience and who will back up their work
I think that the bar is set to low and is a refection of the industry when customer service can trump the actual quality of work. If bait and switches are our only reference point then I guess that flies. Speaks volumes to our industry. I am proof. Many raving reviews about my personality but deep down inside I now know I could have done better. I should not be the focal point but rather my work. That is what gives customers value. A job well done by someone they can trust. Quality does matter...

Reactions: Nomad74

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Regarding competition, I think of the Denver Broncos the first four years they went to the super bowl or the year the Broncos played the Seattle Seahawks with Peyton Manning. They were playing the same game but were no competition for their opponents.

A15

Name
KP
The Broncos were the Bills of the eighties....you know Jimmy, tin foil screws up reception:)

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Didn't you mean the Buffalo Bill
Yes them too. There first one was competitive, the next three were blowouts. Like I said same game but no competition. That is the way it is with some carpet cleaning companies. We play the same game but they are no competition.

Reactions: EDS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom