Pro Carpet in an Action News Report!

Nope!!!!!!

You have to adopt a principal that you treat people fair and honest and make your money from a large customer base of repeats. Meaning if you are trying to grow you don't make squat until you scale back and keep some profit.

Not bait them with a coupon and charge double the amount to spray some juice from a pump sprayer and rake it in.

I disagree with you as well and think you should pay your contractors 45 percent.

The fact that you don't just shows you are greedy and only want to rip people off.

Sorry that's just how I feel.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
Nope!!!!!!

You have to adopt a principal that you treat people fair and honest and make your money from a large customer base of repeats. Meaning if you are trying to grow you don't make squat until you scale back and keep some profit.

Not bait them with a coupon and charge double the amount to spray some juice from a pump sprayer and rake it in.

I disagree with you as well and think you should pay your contractors 45 percent.

The fact that you don't just shows you are greedy and only want to rip people off.

Sorry that's just how I feel.

LOL! I Used to pay that much! Then I learned that I got the same quality for MUCH less $. Why pay more when you don't have to?
Greedy? of course i am in business to make a profit. AGAIN it's all perspective.
Next time you go to the store I want you to over pay the clerk by 50% Why would you?

Let's say you do a whole house deal for 99 dollars up to 7 areas or whatever. No HIDDEN CHARGES.

Your contractor gets 45 dollars and you get 55 dollars.

You will not make squat on the first clean.

Now a few years later you have a couple thousand clients and really half call routinely.

You no longer do mass mailings and you have several crews out making you 55 dollars per house. They could do three to four a day and do a somewhat decent job but your focus is decent cleaning with no hidden charges.

Now you are making 700-1000 dollars per day and keeping the majority of it.

It's called an investment. It takes time to make money on an investment.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Greg would have been one of those people who used prisoner labor in the post-Civil War reconstruction era...or will knowingly hire out labor to China or other countries that exploit there labor force.

A fair wage for work done is one thing...exploiting desperate people (who then feel justified giving a customer less than great service or shamelessly upselling) in the name of capitalism is not considered ethical by most.

Take care,
Lisa

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What is this the Mao carpet cleaning strategy?

The state dictates what one can charge and pay for labor, I am sure everyones home is filled with American made products too.

truckmount girl said:
Greg would have been one of those people who used prisoner labor in the post-Civil War reconstruction era...or will knowingly hire out labor to China or other countries that exploit there labor force.

A fair wage for work done is one thing...exploiting desperate people (who then feel justified giving a customer less than great service or shamelessly upselling) in the name of capitalism is not considered ethical by most.

Take care,
Lisa

The real question is would Greg let a porty hack contractor clean his own carpet?

I think not!

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
Let's say you do a whole house deal for 99 dollars up to 7 areas or whatever. No HIDDEN CHARGES.

Your contractor gets 45 dollars and you get 55 dollars.

You will not make squat on the first clean.

Now a few years later you have a couple thousand clients and really half call routinely.

You no longer do mass mailings and you have several crews out making you 55 dollars per house. They could do three to four a day and do a somewhat decent job but your focus is decent cleaning with no hidden charges.

Now you are making 700-1000 dollars per day and keeping the majority of it.

It's called an investment. It takes time to make money on an investment.

LMAO! You are hilarious. You really don't get it do you? Why on earth would throw away my company, fire and run things like you "imagine" they would work?
Ive been doing this for 19 years. We make our money on repeat customers (FYI- contractors make MORE). I have 10-15 trucks working every day already doing repeat customers! lol The rest of the trucks are doing new customers (churn) Atlanta has a 24.3% moving rate for my target demo. This means that we constantly have to feed the machine to keep repeats (as they are moving on average every 4 years)

I realize that it's fun to sit back and criticize the bigger guy when you are running around in your truck sucking the pee and poop out of carpet, but i'm sure my colleagues like ken will agree that it is a whole lot different when you are actually the guy responsible for supporting close to 100 families.....

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
truckmount girl said:

Take care,
Lisa

The real question is would Greg let a porty hack contractor clean his own carpet?

I think not!

Had it cleaned 2 weeks ago by one of our contractors. shiteatinggrin He also cleaned my drapes, sofa.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
gregcole said:
[I realize that it's fun to sit back and criticize the bigger guy when you are running around in your truck sucking the pee and poop out of carpet, but i'm sure my colleagues like ken will agree that it is a whole lot different when you are actually the guy responsible for supporting close to 100 families.....

Greg has zero respect for carpet cleaners, this is what he thinks of us and what we do. That is why he feels justified in paying such a low percentage for his subs efforts. It is of course a self defeating strategy and why he must constantly mail coupon ads by trhe millions to seek new customers. Those of us who do excellent work retain the vast majority of our customers. Greg's subs do crap work for crap wages. But at least he can feel superior. Even when he isn't.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
gregcole said:
danielc said:
truckmount girl said:

Take care,
Lisa

I think not!

Had it cleaned 2 weeks ago by one of our contractors. shiteatinggrin He also cleaned my drapes, sofa.

How much did you pay him and how long was he there?

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I think you and some others want Gregs respect so much that you bash him for not getting it.
Gregs seems ok but I don't give 2 shits whether he respects me or you or anyone else.

It's self respect I have.....and that's all I need...Although self respects warrants the respect of other...IDGAS.

Lisa...What is clean?

No such thing if you really think about the great scheme of things...If there were such a thing as clean we wouldn't have this argument.

Get the carpet to a visibly comfortable state.....Make it so it doesn't stink.....Just pull out as much foreign soil as possible....Get paid and move on.

This isn't brain surgery, we don't create clean rooms....We're not changing the world....

We're just cleaning up for someone......Get over IT and yourselves. Jeese.

Bob Foster

Brian R said:
Just because the perception of value is there....Doesn't mean it's there.

Mikey over cleans, So does Bob and a bunch of others....From what they've posted here.

Cole does the bare minimum to get the carpet clean....and hopefully the end result is clean (hopefully for him)

Except this is Mikey's Board...Carry on.

Bullshit - you guys are under-cleaning to an acceptable standard.

I find no place in the cleaning spectrum where Cole's minimum is acceptable for any conscientious cleaning professional. And many of Cole's customers also agree that they were not delivered what they expected not only from a cleaning result but on how the service was transacted.

Bob Foster

danielc said:
This thread comes down to what type of person you really are.

You either want to treat people like you would want to be treated, or you want to screw them over.

x2

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Brian R":3t2etgfr]

Mikey over cleans, So does Bob and a bunch of others....From what they've posted here.

Cole does the bare minimum to get the carpet clean....and hopefully the end result is clean (hopefully for him)

I find no place in the cleaning spectrum where Cole's minimum is acceptable for any conscientious cleaning professional. And many of Cole's customers also agree that they were not delivered what they expected not only from a cleaning result but on how the service was transacted.[/quote:3t2etgfr]

Come on now Mr. Bob,
Some people want there pretty clean carpet cleaned anyway...Some carpet is just not that dirty but they want to freshin it up...Some carpet requires work to bring it to an acceptable level of "clean".

I think it's all grab ass until you experience it yourself....Reviews mean nothing....absolutely nothing......HAVING reviews helps to get the custy's attention....a company on Cole's size is going to have bad reviews...ANY company of Cole's size is going to have bad reviews.

But something tells me....If Greg is getting all the business he says he is......He doesn't give that 2 shits about all the bad reviews either(much)....His new customers are probably not coming from them....and his repeats are obviously satisfied with the work.

His exposure is getting the work.....Like a gas station on the corner of a busy intersection.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Art Kelley said:
gregcole said:
[I realize that it's fun to sit back and criticize the bigger guy when you are running around in your truck sucking the pee and poop out of carpet, but i'm sure my colleagues like ken will agree that it is a whole lot different when you are actually the guy responsible for supporting close to 100 families.....

Greg has zero respect for carpet cleaners, this is what he thinks of us and what we do. That is why he feels justified in paying such a low percentage for his subs efforts. It is of course a self defeating strategy and why he must constantly mail coupon ads by trhe millions to seek new customers. Those of us who do excellent work retain the vast majority of our customers. Greg's subs do crap work for crap wages. But at least he can feel superior. Even when he isn't.

I have tremendous respect for carpet cleaners. Am one, been one for 20 years.... I just don't have any respect for you or other that cast stones when they live in glass houses....

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
[/quote]

I think not![/quote]

Had it cleaned 2 weeks ago by one of our contractors. shiteatinggrin He also cleaned my drapes, sofa.[/quote]

How much did you pay him and how long was he there?

Take care,
Lisa[/quote]

I think the bill came to $500. So he got his commission on that. I have no idea on how long he was here as the maid let him in.

Bob Foster

Why is it that he seems to be the only larger company in the area he serves with bad reviews when there are also other large companies in those same areas that don't?

Also why is it that, even in proportion to size the smaller companies, those companies also have far less negative views?

You can play with the numbers and logic all you want but it distills down to this.

Do the ethics and standards of those amongst you who serve in this industry enhance or diminish the long term reputation of cleaning technicians and business owners in this profession?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Brian R":2y77sjm8]

I find no place in the cleaning spectrum where Cole's minimum is acceptable for any conscientious cleaning professional. And many of Cole's customers also agree that they were not delivered what they expected not only from a cleaning result but on how the service was transacted.[/quote:2y77sjm8]

A percentage of McDonald's customers aren't 100% happy with their service, however you don't hear Ruth Chris Steakhouse complaining about it. One of these days you guys will realize that I am NOT your competition. It's the other O&O's in your area that are....

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Bob Foster said:
Why is it that he seems to be the only larger company in the area he serves with bad reviews when there are also other large companies in those same areas that don't?

Also why is it that, even in proportion to size the smaller companies, those companies also have far less negative views?

You can play with the numbers and logic all you want but it distills down to this.

Do the ethics and standards of those amongst you who serve in this industry enhance or diminish the long term reputation of cleaning technicians and business owners in this profession?

Again Bob talks out of his ass with absolutely NO Foundation.......

joe harper

Name
joe harper
One of these days you guys will realize that I am NOT your competition. It's the other O&O's in your area that are.... {quote} fro Gregg.

Much of Gregg's volume is due to the current economy we are in.! TIMING is everything in the business world..! People can NOT afford many of our services, in this economic CLIMATE. "It is just
that simple.!"

We made a business decision to RAISE our prices in this climate..."I have done this BEFORE."
This move...effectively creates a DOWNSIZE of our business.! "MY" personal decision to do this...
is based on past experience..of panicking when the market becomes very competitive..!

WE simply can NOT..afford to compete at such LOW RATES..."OVERHEAD IS TOO HIGH" for our
business model..! We cannot compete for NEW client's in this market economy.!" I fell that advertising to "EMPTY POCKET'S" is feudal..!

"IF" the economy recovers...GREG will have a much tougher time filling the schedule..!" It happens every time..."Client's will return when they can "AFFORD" our type of service..! Greg does what Greg
does..."BECAUSE this economy supports IT"

WE have plenty of BULLETS left in our gun. We will FIRE them when our CLIENTELE re-appears.!!!!!

The average O/O is suffering...due to the ECONOMY....Not COLE..! "You only flatter him when you WHINE about his BIZ...!" "Tighten your belts...change your biz plans...and SURVIVE...things will change...!!!!! This type of economy has way of cleaning up the WEAK...!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
gregcole said:
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Brian R":tlkysudm]

I find no place in the cleaning spectrum where Cole's minimum is acceptable for any conscientious cleaning professional. And many of Cole's customers also agree that they were not delivered what they expected not only from a cleaning result but on how the service was transacted.

A percentage of McDonald's customers aren't 100% happy with their service, however you don't hear Ruth Chris Steakhouse complaining about it. One of these days you guys will realize that I am NOT your competition. It's the other O&O's in your area that are....[/quote:tlkysudm]

Yes, but when I go to Ruths Chris I EXPECT to get a great steak and pay through the nose for it. I will take my time and enjoy it with good company. When I go to McDonald's I EXPECT to get tasty, but less than spectacular food quick and cheap. I would bitch if I went to Ruth Chris and got McDonald's quality. I would bitch if I went to McDonalds and was expecting my double cheeseburger and fry for $2 and they told me I had to pay an extra 50 cents for salt on the fries, a buck for catsup on the burger, 2 bucks for cheese and 25 cents to get the bun grilled. I EXPECT to get the full meal without having to pay more to get the food I had been led to believe I would get.

You lead people to believe they will get a good and thorough clean in normally soiled home for the base price, but they can't.

Take care,
Lisa

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Somehow in this discussion, there is a genuine disrespect for the clients' intelligence.

Again, don't know about Cole's business beside helping him once to dominate Google pay per click :p - You're welcome Greg.

What make you believe that Cole's clients didn't know exactly what they were getting?

What rock have they been hiding under?
Have they been too busy, answering emails from Nigeria?

How do they maintain this child like pristine innocence?

The complains mean nothing. They knew exactly what they were getting.
And if they did not like it. They should consider themselves lucky.
It's a hell of a cheap education.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
HARPER said:
One of these days you guys will realize that I am NOT your competition. It's the other O&O's in your area that are.... {quote} fro Gregg.

Much of Gregg's volume is due to the current economy we are in.! TIMING is everything in the business world..! People can NOT afford many of our services, in this economic CLIMATE. "It is just
that simple.!"

We made a business decision to RAISE our prices in this climate..."I have done this BEFORE."
This move...effectively creates a DOWNSIZE of our business.! "MY" personal decision to do this...
is based on past experience..of panicking when the market becomes very competitive..!

WE simply can NOT..afford to compete at such LOW RATES..."OVERHEAD IS TOO HIGH" for our
business model..! We cannot compete for NEW client's in this market economy.!" I fell that advertising to "EMPTY POCKET'S" is feudal..!

"IF" the economy recovers...GREG will have a much tougher time filling the schedule..!" It happens every time..."Client's will return when they can "AFFORD" our type of service..! Greg does what Greg
does..."BECAUSE this economy supports IT"

WE have plenty of BULLETS left in our gun. We will FIRE them when our CLIENTELE re-appears.!!!!!

The average O/O is suffering...due to the ECONOMY....Not COLE..! "You only flatter him when you WHINE about his BIZ...!" "Tighten your belts...change your biz plans...and SURVIVE...things will change...!!!!! This type of economy has way of cleaning up the WEAK...!

Harper - Damn you are indeed a smart man!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
my fam didnt have much $ when i was growing up, as is true for most of you i reckon. my dad made $5 / hour with 4 kids at home...my mom delivered papers. we vac'ed regularly and cleaned up spills quickly.

we never had our carpets cleaned that i can remember. my parents never had their CC'ed until i got into the biz.

the resi service we provide is to me a luxury service...nobody NEEDS their CC'ed. to me, idc what any of you charge...yall are over-thinking this too much :mrgreen: none of you affect my bottom line, and vice-versa. we all still get paid and make a living.

it all comes out in the wash.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
truckmount girl said:
Yes, but when I go to Ruths Chris I EXPECT to get a great steak and pay through the nose for it. I will take my time and enjoy it with good company. When I go to McDonald's I EXPECT to get tasty, but less than spectacular food quick and cheap. I would bitch if I went to Ruth Chris and got McDonald's quality. I would bitch if I went to McDonalds and was expecting my double cheeseburger and fry for $2 and they told me I had to pay an extra 50 cents for salt on the fries, a buck for catsup on the burger, 2 bucks for cheese and 25 cents to get the bun grilled. I EXPECT to get the full meal without having to pay more to get the food I had been led to believe I would get.

You lead people to believe they will get a good and thorough clean in normally soiled home for the base price, but they can't.

Take care,
Lisa

But they do try to get you to super size it and sauces on the side DO cost that extra 50 cents....Just sayin.

How many times have you went to a McDonalds and said "While I'm here, would you mind just super sizing that for no extra charge...You know...Because I'm already here?"

People.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Brian R said:
[quote="truckmount girl":3qpshacj]

Take care,
Lisa

But they do try to get you to super size it and sauces on the side DO cost that extra 50 cents....Just sayin.

How many times have you went to a McDonalds and said "While I'm here, would you mind just super sizing that for no extra charge...You know...Because I'm already here?"

People.[/quote:3qpshacj]

I'm not talking about adding extras you expect to pay extra for. I'm talking about being led to believe you will get your normally soiled carpet clean and then being told to really get a satisfactory job you will have to pay extra. In fact even if you pay extra you probably won't get a satisfactory job because the tech isn't paid enough to take the time, put forth the effort or buy the quality chemicals...nor does he or she have the education to know how to do it correctly.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
bigmac1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom