Quad 5.7 vs Dual 6.6

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm suprised they let you run any portables at all when they are on the phones. The 24 hour centters we have cleaned we very conscious of noise from the inital bid.

That was one of the primary reasons we added OP to our line up. Between call centers and nursing homes we were forced into finding quieter and faster drying. The "no hoses was just an added bonus.

We still have spots or areas the we need to HWE but they are the minority.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The frame on the ETM is that way for balance.. you just push it from the top.
The eclipse didnt work well because the vacuums were in series and it use 1 1/2 hose instead of 2 inch.
Since you have 2 Galaxys-- rather then buy a new machine-- just try to connect them together using a Y connection for the vacuums like you were thinking before.
I know I said it didn't work well for me-- but I really think it was due to not having the vacuum motors with the same ratings.

Reactions: Spurlington

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
The frame on the ETM is that way for balance.. you just push it from the top.
The eclipse didnt work well because the vacuums were in series and it use 1 1/2 hose instead of 2 inch.
Since you have 2 Galaxys-- rather then buy a new machine-- just try to connect them together using a Y connection for the vacuums like you were thinking before.
I know I said it didn't work well for me-- but I really think it was due to not having the vacuum motors with the same ratings.

I kinda figured it was about the balance

Yeah Im going to try the Galaxy Dually .. Im checking into vac inlet conversion to 2in on each along with a 2'' x 2'' x 2'' Y .. also gotta make sure each machine is in series then the Y will put dual series in parallel .. end up with super suck on 2 cords !! Im guessing 200cfms and 200in of lift .. both Galaxys are rated 190'' which I thought were 210'' when I bought them. If that works out, Ill connect the waste and fresh with 3/4in hose each so that they fill n drain at the same time. They are 17 gallon tanks each stand alone. 500psi should be good for long hose run .. I learned today you lose as little as 20psi per 100 feet . I clean with about 2-250 now. My Mytee is 220psi and cleans with great results.

Gees .. I got an Olympus M500H with a burned out or freeze damaged heater. Only dual 2 stage though. I should gut it and pop in some 6.6s. Body is in great shape. Bought it from a guy who went under within 2yrs that used it occassionally. I think he froze the heater. His TM sat out all winter with window washer fluid in it. Best part is I paid $50 for it.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I saw that but didnt believe 2 regular cords could run 4 vac motors with 900psi pump and pump out

The issue is that it is a 230V machine.

Captureescape plugs.JPG

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I'm suprised they let you run any portables at all when they are on the phones.

Yeah me too .. Id rather an empty building .. I think the facilities manager at the time was more concerned with the cleanliness of the facility .. these people are dirrrrrteeee !! He told me the previous company used to use circular machine cleaning as he describes it and they did a horrible job. So he was all about HWE .. We used to move people section by section .. which sucked and pissed off some people. Now some move and some dont n wont.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Your concern about machine noise and inconveniencing the employees, although a valid concern, does not necessarily justify buying new equipment unless management has specifically addressed these inconveniences with you.

I have often found that addressing the noise issue and any other perceived inconveniences with management can often lead to them giving you the green light to just get it done and not worry about it.

If management wants it done, they have to accept a certain level of inconvenience, and are usually willing to notify their employees as to what is going to be involved and to make the best of it.

That may not be the case here, but if it has not been addressed yet with management, I would make sure to do it before looking into a major purchase for only one job.

You may be racking your brain for no reason when the reality is that management is willing to accept such inconveniences for only a short period, which is not an impossibility.

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Yeah me too .. Id rather an empty building .. I think the facilities manager at the time was more concerned with the cleanliness of the facility .. these people are dirrrrrteeee !! He told me the previous company used to use circular machine cleaning as he describes it and they did a horrible job. So he was all about HWE .. We used to move people section by section .. which sucked and pissed off some people. Now some move and some dont n wont.

You are the contractor.

It's acceptable to request that management dictates to their employees what is to be expected, what you need from them, and to accommodate you without getting all bent.

What actually happens may be something else, but at least you have the confidence that management is on YOUR side about the issue and you will be less concerned with employee's huffing and puffing.

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I kinda figured it was about the balance

Yeah Im going to try the Galaxy Dually ..

Good Idea!-- always try to work with what you already have.

what size and how many Stand pipes is inside the galaxy? If there is only one 1 1/2 stand pipe- then I wouldn't change to a 2inch inlet- until that manufacturer design flaw is corrected
Instead try "baby Steps"-- without any modification yet-- simply connect the 2 portys 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 2 inch.

Consider testing the "MacGyvered" dual porty Y-vac hoses setup in the comfort of your Garage 1st.

This Is Very Important-- learn from my mistakes on going Dual porty---
The auto pump out doesn't like lint and excessive sand in the waste tank--Using pre-filters/lint hog outside the ports is a must on big jobs.
Make sure the float valves that shut off the auto fill are working properly.. jarring around in the back of a van can loosen the screws.
Never trust the AD/AF features completely-- check on them regularly during a big job: especially in the beginning.
The internal water hoses of the AD/AF inside the portys might not be able to handle very hot water.-- If only hose clamps are used, then it cannot handle very hot water-- accidental disconnection and flooding are a strong likelihood.

Good Luck and keep me posted on the results.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Im down to the:

Goliath quad 5.7s (dual cord) paired with the Water Otter (3rd cord)

Steambrites Clean Storm dual 6.6s with 500psi (dual cord)

Cross American dual 8.4s (dual cord)

Unless some one has a machine that will out perform - thats less than 130ish lbs pref dual cord but willing to do a 3rd if the increase in power is significant.
Don't forget Eclipse...

Papa John

Name
John Stewart

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Your concern about machine noise and inconveniencing the employees, although a valid concern, does not necessarily justify buying new equipment unless management has specifically addressed these inconveniences with you.

I have often found that addressing the noise issue and any other perceived inconveniences with management can often lead to them giving you the green light to just get it done and not worry about it.

If management wants it done, they have to accept a certain level of inconvenience, and are usually willing to notify their employees as to what is going to be involved and to make the best of it.

That may not be the case here, but if it has not been addressed yet with management, I would make sure to do it before looking into a major purchase for only one job.

You may be racking your brain for no reason when the reality is that management is willing to accept such inconveniences for only a short period, which is not an impossibility.

The facilities manager (the boss) that hired me put highest quality results over inconveient noise. The place was literally a disgusting pig stye with spills every where and of course worn out carpet which didnt help with the appearance. He instructed the employees not to eat n drink in their stations .. even with do not signs .. but floor managers want to make these pigs as comfortable as possible with allowances to keep the high turnover as low as possible. So he went out and hired best possible scenario to keep his building looking as clean as it could get since that was his responsibility - which reflects on his performance.

It was almost like a well if you cant keep your people from being such pigs then face the consequence of the noisy cleaning system. He pretty much told me to f-em if they complained. He said it was their fault for being careless n dirty.

The floor managers responsible for the CSRs are understanding and greatful for having a cleaner facility. Some of the CSRs are greatful .. but a few stand out and show they are pissed and a few more dont say anything but you can see theyre unhappy and theres the few more that might just be in my head that may be pissed. Ive even heard, "oh great .. the carpet people are here."

I like to keep inproving when I notice and or can. I think reducing the noise issue would be a great improvement. I have to buy something for tile and grout cleaning in the near future anyway since they have asked me to quote a quarterly cleaning on them. Water Otter was a consideration. Eventually I wont be on site and will rely solely on techs to complete the task. My fear is the techs getting punkd and or skipping areas due to fear of upsetting people. It has happened. My helper came to me and said the guy told him to shut the machine off cause he couldnt hear. Even though Ive instructed the helper not to listen to the CSRs. So I go back over and turn machine on and not a peep from the CSR.

This account generates a great income and we have an amazing relationship with the facilities manager. It will be nothing to fund for the best cleaning scenario to improve and keep this facility looking its best.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
He doesn't have a Mytee--if he bought a duel 3 stage Mytee first we probably would have bought those other portables.

That is a nice feature on the Mytee but attaching a vacuum hose and exhausting the noise 50ft away would provide more noise reduction then those flow restricting "mufflers"

I also have the Mytee 1000DX-200 which has great suction .. 220 psi not bad .. mufflers would be great !!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When I used to clean upholstery with the Kleenrite upholstery machine I'd take a spare hose slip it over the exhaust outlet and pipe the big noise 25 feet away from me. Made a more comfortable work environment. :biggrin:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
When I used to clean upholstery with the Kleenrite upholstery machine I'd take a spare hose slip it over the exhaust outlet and pipe the big noise 25 feet away from me. Made a more comfortable work environment. :biggrin:

Haha I was day dreaming running a pipe from exhaust straight up 8 ft to blow the noise up towards the 20-25ft ceilng .. Id be looking like a bumper car buzzing around !!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I was told those mufflers don't work as well as one would like--- go with the 25-50ft exhaust hose instead.
when I totally redesigned my Eclipse I made an Exhust muffer box with egg create foam inside along the walls--
it was designed like a car muffler so as to not restrict flow too much but absorbed the sound waves.

Name
Nate W.

I remember doing the 25' 1"1/2 hose on the exhaust of my dads Electric WorkMaster when I was 8yo... It overheated the unit and we actually had to wait for it to cool down...

I'd be careful messing with the exhaust of a machine... I learned my lesson pretty quick... I also learned to let the gas disperse/vent in a Little Gaint heater too before re-lighting it... Arm hairs and eyebrows singed... lol:hopeless:

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I remember doing the 25' 1"1/2 hose on the exhaust of my dads Electric WorkMaster when I was 8yo... It overheated the unit and we actually had to wait for it to cool down...

I'd be careful messing with the exhaust of a machine... I learned my lesson pretty quick... I also learned to let the gas disperse/vent in a Little Gaint heater too before re-lighting it... Arm hairs and eyebrows singed... lol:hopeless:

the hose might have been too narrow for that blower-- maybe an elbow fitting was place right at the blower?--
As for the "mufflers" larry posted-- I would if they had anything to do with some ETMs catching fire because they caused back flow and over heating?
The key to using an exhaust hose is that It needs to be bigger then the Intake of the motor, which is 1 to 11/2 inch, and no restrictions.-- just like a silencer on a gun

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nate it never had any issue. In fact I got the idea from a Kleenrite class where they had it piped away from us so they could speak while instructing. They also suggested it for use when dry cleaning, exhausting the fumes outside.

We never did any dry cleaning on location, so it was never used for that.

Reactions: Nate The Great
Name
Lee Stockwell
I used an exhaust extension many times, often thru a glass pack muffler.

The hose can go into a closet or toilet vent (a kleenrite idea).

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Last edited:
Name
Nate W.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
My fear is the techs getting punkd and or skipping areas due to fear of upsetting people. It has happened. My helper came to me and said the guy told him to shut the machine off cause he couldnt hear. Even though Ive instructed the helper not to listen to the CSRs. So I go back over and turn machine on and not a peep from the CSR.

It always helps to try to have someone of authority within their organization act as a liaison and do all the whip cracking to help clear each area.

It's in managements best interest for everything to go as smooth and fast as possible, and they will usually try to accommodate the proposal if you make it.

Let them know that all the chairs have to be rolled out before anything else is started in each area.

Let them know it slows you down.

Getting rid of the chairs first is the key to getting rid of the campers.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Back
Top Bottom