Quad 5.7 vs Dual 6.6

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I've got a brand new machine design, to throw into the challenge.

Dual 6.6" vacs in series, for 215" lift for the long hose runs.

A Cat 2 GPM Pump system with efficient 3/4 HP AC Motor
for Tile & Grout cleaning.

Twelve Gallon Recovery and Fresh Water Tanks.

Two cords, primary 19 amps & secondary 13 amps (Pump Out opt.capable).

View attachment 71386 http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85&products_id=5484

Yeah .. little better than the Clean Storm since the pump is 700psi .. but your 6.6 in series says 215'' of lift and only 140 cfms .. Clean storms 6.6s in series says 215'' of lift with 170 cfms .. is there a misprint? I like the 215'' of lift but 140 seems low.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
It always helps to try to have someone of authority within their organization act as a liaison and do all the whip cracking to help clear each area.
Yeah - they do !!

It's in managements best interest for everything to go as smooth and fast as possible, and they will usually try to accommodate the proposal if you make it.
Floor managers are on board with the cleaning.

Let them know that all the chairs have to be rolled out before anything else is started in each area.
That wont happen .. over 300 chairs off the top of my head.

Let them know it slows you down.
Im good with that .. not too bad !!

Getting rid of the chairs first is the key to getting rid of the campers.
I usally move chairs to one side of aisle and Ive had someone come over and grab a chair and sit down .. so I put the machine with the hot exhaust n noise to blow right on em while Im cleaning and they move.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Yeah .. little better than the Clean Storm since the pump is 700psi .. but your 6.6 in series says 215'' of lift and only 140 cfms .. Clean storms 6.6s in series says 215'' of lift with 170 cfms .. is there a misprint? I like the 215'' of lift but 140 seems low.

I would say 140 CFM.

Here is the Ametek spec sheet on the vac motor:

http://dev.ametekfsm.com/Bulletins/122234-18.pdf

Last edited:

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
I was actually looking for a portable TM solution myself to get the equipment just outside the door
which can't be reached with a standard TM

What I came up with was the Jaguar 8.4, little giant heater and 9000w generator all mounted on
a 30"x 60" stainless steel wagon with 11" rubber wheels which came in around $5600 not counting
any hoses/wands, etc..

That machine is also fairly quiet compared to some of the other ones and it has pump in/pump out
and 800 psi pump w/16 gal fresh tank. It's the best solution I could come up with as there isn't really
anything out that has the complete package all wrapped together with a nice red bow on it :)

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bobby;

For $5600 you should be able to get a 13HP Honda driving a #3 blower and pump.

A well-designed HX should give you 160 degrees or so.

We built one in the past that weighed a little over 200# and could be loaded by one large tech.

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
I was actually looking for a portable TM solution myself to get the equipment just outside the door
which can't be reached with a standard TM

What I came up with was the Jaguar 8.4, little giant heater and 9000w generator all mounted on
a 30"x 60" stainless steel wagon with 11" rubber wheels which came in around $5600 not counting
any hoses/wands, etc..

That machine is also fairly quiet compared to some of the other ones and it has pump in/pump out
and 800 psi pump w/16 gal fresh tank. It's the best solution I could come up with as there isn't really
anything out that has the complete package all wrapped together with a nice red bow on it :)
Bobby
I have been using what you describe for 4-5 years. If you truly can find a decent TM with a APO with good reviews for $5600 jump on it. Don't get me wrong the C/A Little Giant/ booster combo has served me well for 9 years plus PART TIME. Also run a Cimex and OP machine.
No way would I settle for a 33 blower . Go 4 plus. $$$$

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
@10% gain in CFMs when in Series with the 6.6s ditto for the 8.4s . Nothing fooking new , Odin was doing series before Obmas second term.
Longer hose runs in series ?LMFAO. Guerilla marketing.

Reactions: Bobby Walker

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
thanks for the input Jim. i previously had 2 TM rigs that were both #4's but that was when i worked full time, so my thought
was I could do the more powerful portable on the cart or 13hp 3.3 blower like Larry mentioned. There
is a 1333 with 47 gal fresh/waste all in one for $6500.

so my plan was to wheel that close to the door in the businesses and residential. if i do that, then most
of my hose runs on residential will only be 75-100' and at that length a 3.3 blower would be pretty
decent as far as performance goes.

i can also get a 20/36 for $7200 but that would be mounted in my 6x10 covered trailer if i went that
route

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
This is a scanned photo of the portable TM we built a few years ago. Aluminum frame with Pump-Out.

Since most of the weight was on the 13" Pneumatic tires, the front casters could be put on the van floor by one stout tech.
DynamiteSm.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
looks like a "hot rodded" tractor :)

pretty awesome build. i'm sure you could sell a few more
of those if you had them sitting in your store

so with this i guess you hook up to water and then it has
a pump out system on it?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Every 50 ft. section of vac reduces the lift available at the wand.

When we tested at the wand with 500 ft. of 2" hose on a TM, we lost about 2" hg. (28" water) for each 50 ft. added.

So when you are cleaning at long distance, you need more LIFT.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This is a scanned photo of the portable TM we built a few years ago. Aluminum frame with Pump-Out.

Since most of the weight was on the 13" Pneumatic tires, the front casters could be put on the van floor by one stout tech.
View attachment 71417
I like that. Strip off the pump system and it would make a great WDR extractor for corporate jobs where you can't a truck close to the building.

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
thanks for the input Jim. i previously had 2 TM rigs that were both #4's but that was when i worked full time, so my thought
was I could do the more powerful portable on the cart or 13hp 3.3 blower like Larry mentioned. There
is a 1333 with 47 gal fresh/waste all in one for $6500.

so my plan was to wheel that close to the door in the businesses and residential. if i do that, then most
of my hose runs on residential will only be 75-100' and at that length a 3.3 blower would be pretty
decent as far as performance goes.

i can also get a 20/36 for $7200 but that would be mounted in my 6x10 covered trailer if i went that
route
Either route you take it sounds like you would be fine with a APO. 75-100' all day with my setup. My genset is also a back up for home and camping.

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
Every 50 ft. section of vac reduces the lift available at the wand.

When we tested at the wand with 500 ft. of 2" hose on a TM, we lost about 2" hg. (28" water) for each 50 ft. added.

So when you are cleaning at long distance, you need more LIFT.
You need both and you are starting with minimal CFM . How much CFM do you lose per 50' ? Pity the end user attempting to clean below grade at a long distance.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
Either route you take it sounds like you would be fine with a APO. 75-100' all day with my setup. My genset is also a back up for home and camping.

Would you say your current portable setup is equivalent to a 3.3 blower when cleaning at 100' or less?

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
Would you say your current portable setup is equivalent to a 3.3 blower when cleaning at 100' or less?
100' I believe it would be . Keep in mind I also use a $200 exhaust mounted vacuum booster (15 amp) yielding another @ 3 Hgs. Bobby I also use at least one full size air mover out of 3 at nearly every job. Ever use a Cimex ? I would like to wean away from most residential and hit the commercial gigs with a Cimex and the OP machine. Easy money.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
100' I believe it would be . Keep in mind I also use a $200 exhaust mounted vacuum booster (15 amp) yielding another @ 3 Hgs. Bobby I also use at least one full size air mover out of 3 at nearly every job. Ever use a Cimex ? I would like to wean away from most residential and hit the commercial gigs with a Cimex and the OP machine. Easy money.

ok thanks for that info. i also use 2 air movers on my jobs. always have. rotate them after each room is cleaned. i plan on getting
some commercial encap jobs as well just starting out to get things rolling i'll be doing residential. sales and marketing is what
I do for a living so i will be hitting the businesses.

i actually had one of the first online courses for carpet cleaners in 2007 that showed how to target customers using google adwords.

it was promoted by Jeff Cross from Cleanfax magazine

the main reason why i decided to start cleaning again is the fact i'm tired of sitting at a desk all day. i have free time so i'm going
to get out and socialize and get some exercise :) i'd be happy with a couple jobs per day. that's all i really need

i would love to go out and spend 20k on a rig. it just doesn't make sense now with my current situation

Can the Cimex machine be used as a carpet scrubber with brush attachments as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim M.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We tested the Mytee Escape ETM with four 3-stage vacs (2200 AirWatts total)
against a #33 TM.

They were equal in vacuum with 50 ft. of 2" hose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
ok thanks for that info. i also use 2 air movers on my jobs. always have. rotate them after each room is cleaned. i plan on getting
some commercial encap jobs as well just starting out to get things rolling i'll be doing residential. sales and marketing is what
I do for a living so i will be hitting the businesses.

i actually had one of the first online courses for carpet cleaners in 2007 that showed how to target customers using google adwords.

it was promoted by Jeff Cross from Cleanfax magazine

the main reason why i decided to start cleaning again is the fact i'm tired of sitting at a desk all day. i have free time so i'm going
to get out and socialize and get some exercise :) i'd be happy with a couple jobs per day. that's all i really need

i would love to go out and spend 20k on a rig. it just doesn't make sense now with my current situation

Can the Cimex machine be used as a carpet scrubber with brush attachments as well?
Couple a "per" day ?? Thats not my meaning of part time unless its 3 maybe 4 days per week ! LOL

Jim M.

Name
Jim Morrow
Why not the smaller AC Ametek motor ? As is there is very little room for those motors to breathe.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Horsepower is the reason. DC motor is only 1/3 HP.
AC motors are more reliable and in this case, very efficient.

That 1/2 HP AC motor only draws 5 amps delivering 1.5 GPM @ 500 PSI spraying.

Feels like a TM when you squeeze the trigger.

For T & G cleaning also, we go with the 3/4 HP AC motor delivering 2 GPM @ 700 PSI at only 7 amps.

Due to the high efficiency design, it only draws 19 amps at full output (7 + 12).

Strongest 2 cord extractor made IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom