Something to think about rotary extraction

Anyone that is under the impression that a scrub with 175, crb, cimex etc and wand rinse will clean deeper than spray and suck with a rotary is living in a dream world. I used to think exactly that.

Two jobs have completely proven that rotary extraction (rx-20 for me) is the best.

I have a 7 yr old polyester that has been cleaned about 10 times. The last two times I cleaned the carpet was trashed. I vacuumed, deep scrub, and rinse with wand. Looked good but not great. I cleaned it yesterday. One of the worst carpets I have ever seen in 12 yrs. I wanted to kill this mother F'er for leaving the carpet in that condition. I knew I was going to have to replace. I sprayed it heavy with a powerburst/flex mixture and rinsed with emulsifier. I literally fell out when I saw how good it was cleaning. It looks almost new. This is nothing short of a miracle.

Another job a few weeks back was cleaned twice by yours truly. Lots of flushing with wand. Mild pet odor... no urine though. Third trip I used rotary and could not believe the crap coming out. Problem solved.

Rotary commands a higher price, but it's an easy upsell and well worth it.

I would love to try a HOSS, but I like the RX except mine has a slight wobble which slows me down some.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
What truckmount are you running it on? when I ran trucks with a 33 blower I had to use a roto to get clean, Now that I run a 47 with as much heat as I want and a high flow wand I find that the rx 20 was actualy over kill. 95 carpets out of 100 I have found that a good prevac and wand and possibly pre scrub get it done. The rx 20 really kills your production time. I do a lot of price point work and up to 8 or 10 apartments a day at times so to use a roto on all jobs would hours to the day when it came to post grooming , edging, and overlapping strokes

Mikey P

Administrator
I do a lot of price point work and up to 8 or 10 apartments a day at times so to use a roto on all jobs would hours to the day when it came to post grooming , edging, and overlapping strokes

Correct.

RE cleaning is not for your company.

if you ever desire to be a premium upscale cleaner who needs to stand out from all the rest then, and only then will a RE unit make financial sense.

for now your customers will be happy enough if you just get out the koolaid spots and food chunks unstuck from the surface.

Mike Draper

8 out of 10 jobs either get rotary or scrub and wand with me. Your right, the filter is full of crap with a rotary. It always amazes me how much nasty is in folks carpet.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I would agree with that mike but lets be real here that a pre vac , crb scrub , and high flow extraction will knock most jobs out of the park

Unless using a wand slows you down due to health issues.....i can wand a basement in a VERY clean house, thinking i dont want to rotary this...after a good size basement, my shoulder is TRASHED....Where as I can clean 6 jobs of various sizes and a mix of res and commercial, using a RE of some kind on all jobs.....and i am right as rain after....aside from plain beat from so many jobs

8 out of 10 jobs either get rotary or scrub and wand with me. Your right, the filter is full of crap with a rotary. It always amazes me how much nasty is in folks carpet.

hence is why i call mine the goodie bag

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
10% most just to restore traffic areas. The tech's think its too slow but when the traffic areas are really impacted they will pull it out. They come back raving about what it did to restore it but......they still use a wand until the next one doesn't come out. :oldrolleyes:

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Just my 2cents, a good pre vac then a good pre spray along with some dwell time a and a CRB scrub then rinse and extract with wand is quick and easy. And does great job. For all that have used a CRB, you know how easy they are to use and move around on the carpet and no set up all, just plug it in and go. I have a CRB, rotovac, and a 175 rotary with carpet brush and solution tank, and of course a wand. I'll use whatever one I feel the job calls for.

Reactions: GreenTechAgain

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I would agree with that mike but lets be real here that a pre vac , crb scrub , and high flow extraction will knock most jobs out of the park

I will agree with you,with the stipulation of experience. So with experience you walk into a situation with traffic lanes in a house or rooms at a school you will wish you had a rotary. Nothing will get the hair and sandy debris quite like a rotary will. With the added benefit of extra passes because you are not have to put forth much effort for the extra passes so it is a no brainer.

Most jobs "YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH WHATEVER LEVEL OF SERVICE YOU WANT TO PROVIDE YOU CUSTOMERS WITH TO A CERTAIN EXTENT"

If "YOU WANT TO EXCELL AND DIFFERENTIATE YOUR SERVICES AND COMPANY FROM ALL OTHERS, YOU DO THAT BY DOING WHAT MOST OTHER EITHER CANT DO OR MOST IMPORTANTLY WONT DO!"

This is where rotary extractors come into play for us, going the extra mile and perform the best service we can perform. So since we have multiple rotary extractors we use them. For you if you don't have an RE then use the best you have to offer such as a 175 for scrubbing or a crb for scrubb, till you feel the need to raise your service level and purchase a rotary extractor.

For most companies in the apartment industry it is not in their best interests to use RE units as price is one the greatest factors in staying relevant and a valuable solution for property management companies. Both the added cost along with the daily added time cost to use a RE will for most companies put them out of their property management companies budgets, therefore loosing work.

I will say I know a couple of guys using rotary extractors in apartments and making $1000 or better a week. While this is not a bad thing if that is your goal, it leaves very little room for your company to grow and most likely will hold you in a work pattern/lower paying scale for many years until a change is made.

Look how I ramble once I get going!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have owned a rv360 and a rx20 and while yes they do great work they are over kill on most jobs especialy if you run high heat /flow. In my experience if the only way you can get the carpet clean is with a roto they usualy aren't the best customers anyway

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
A rotary extractor was THE piece of equipment I needed to push toward my premium (and most valuable) customers. I chose the RotoVac 360i but am convinced any of the big name RE's would have accomplished this for me.

I love to watch all the crap being pulled through the sight tube. It's amazing also to see everything in my filter when a job is done.

Adding a thorough prevac and rotary extraction were some of the smartest moves we've made in our biz.

The Clean Machine of Iowa
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Reactions: Mikey P and FB7777

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
A rotary extractor was THE piece of equipment I needed to push toward my premium (and most valuable) customers. I chose the RotoVac 360i but am convinced any of the big name RE's would have accomplished this for me.

I love to watch all the crap being pulled through the sight tube. It's amazing also to see everything in my filter when a job is done.

Adding a thorough prevac and rotary extraction were some of the smartest moves we've made in our biz.

What ever you do...don't worry about what everyone else says.....what you are going to find out is that you are going to go to some ones home that has had nothing but a wand cleaner in there and your going to whip out your rotary..and they will be your client from that point on....in time...you will no longer have to market yourself...they will come to you....your referral base will double...if you keep on that track....

Nothing cleans a carpet better then a good rotary....nothing is going to get down in there and flush a carpet out like a rotary.....you see it...and the people you clean for see it to...time is not how you run a company...quality is what is going to make your money.......

F

FB7777

Glad I saw this post... Hardly bother reading most of the stuff on here

Jim and Russ's posts are pure gold

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The tech's think its too slow but when the traffic areas are really impacted they will pull it out. They come back raving about what it did to restore it but......they still use a wand until the next one doesn't come out. :oldrolleyes:
Yeah, I had the same problem when customers started complaining about how different techs would follow different procedures and "sometimes the carpet came out better than other times". So I made it non-negotiable that all the open areas had to be cleaned with the RX-20. Did wonders for quality and consistency.

Steve

PS I will say a MOTIVATED owner-operator can make a trashed carpet appear almost as good w/o a rotary extractor. It will just take him a lot longer.

Jimbo

"I would love to try a HOSS"

Hey Daniel...you Will love the Hoss once you try it!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't know that sounds awfully close to the porty myth. I truly don't believe you can match the texture restoration in traffic areas. I'm not talking about soil removal but separation of what was once a matted mess.

Anyone that believes different isn't wrong.......they are just in denial. ; )

I do agree not all pricing structures allow for a slower yet more thorough method. Use what ever makes sense in those cases but you are jerking yourself off if you think your cleaning can compare in cleaning and texture restoration.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have literally seen a couple ladies cry over the last year + that I've been using my RotoVac.

I thought about doing a fun "over or under" on Facebook about how long before I make another person cry (hopefully because they are pleased ;-)).

Using a RE is THAT MUCH better than traditional prespray/wand.

Those consistently using a 175 or CRB to agitate might be able to get similar results but I'm alone and the RotoVac comes into almost every residential situation with me. It pretty much makes me look like a rock star.

Ron K

So in a nut shell any idiot can move into Huxley, Santa Cruz, Arizona, whatever, buy a Rotary and make millions..Bull owney. Jim and Mike and whomever its not the equipment it's how you use it let me repeat "YOU"!!!! So if they took away your spin doctors you'd all go broke! I was in a Multi Million dollar Compound today, not house, I said Compound, not because I have a Rotary because of me and our companies reputation. Are you telling me you guys don't know ABD who is making a good living. Why???? because he has people skills that is theee most important part of our business. You can teach an idiot to run a rotary but he's still an idiot!

Or I could just be wrong!

Mikey P

Administrator
I can guarantee you that I clean a bigger and nice compound than the one you were on.

But those jobs don't keep a carpet cleaner in business.

Average homes who frequently need deep down cleaning do.

Reactions: Russ T.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
So in a nut shell any idiot can move into Huxley, Santa Cruz, Arizona, whatever, buy a Rotary and make millions..Bull owney. Jim and Mike and whomever its not the equipment it's how you use it let me repeat "YOU"!!!! So if they took away your spin doctors you'd all go broke! I was in a Multi Million dollar Compound today, not house, I said Compound, not because I have a Rotary because of me and our companies reputation. Are you telling me you guys don't know ABD who is making a good living. Why???? because he has people skills that is theee most important part of our business. You can teach an idiot to run a rotary but he's still an idiot!

Or I could just be wrong!

your correct it is me.......
Its me that seen that the rotary out cleaned the wand and flushed more out of the carpets.......
its me having the knowledge to see that a rotary set me apart from the guys only wand cleaning......
Its me that figured out how to double referrals....and stop wasting money on marketing myself....
Its me that showed my clients the difference.....and built a reputation off of it.....

Not every idiot is going to understand it......

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
Yes you can get the same results with a wand but the time and effort required is crazy. I can clean better then anyone with the end of a two inch hose cuff, tooth brush and bucket of solution! Why would I?
Time is money and your biggest investment and most important tool is yourself. If this is your way to provide for your family you need to think about the effect it will have on your body in the years to come.

A rotary is not practical on every job but when used properly its the best method for deep cleaning and labor saving....

Reactions: dealtimeman

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Oh boy!

Now all the successful cleaners here who have thousands of ecstatic clients will have to tell them that they've been duped.
Bamboozled.
Hoodwinked.
Humbuged.
Spoofed.

I remember the same being said about the Vortex to the my cojones are.... than yours, crowd.

Give me a freaking break.

It is just one more tool and not even remotely close to the real important ones.

Buy it if you need another tool that will give you one more option.

Bear in mind: It ain't the second coming........or the third.

Reactions: Ron K

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Denial!!!!!!!
:p

Its ok its only a little painful coming to terms with it. In fact most of your clients will forgive you for it. Well.....some of your clients will forgive you......well actually a few MIGHT forgive you for it.Might! :winky:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Rotaries are not one of those up and coming things that are going to peak and then go away....more and more cleaners are realizing that they clean better.....they are eaiser on your body...and that clients can see the difference and they are more profitable......

Most people can't see the forest because of all the trees.....they are looking at how much time can I save and how much money can I make NOW....not what will it take to build this and grow...and make it profitable......

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If the sole reason your clients are using you is your use of a rotary.
Your business is ripe for the taking.

Reactions: Ron K

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom