Something to think about rotary extraction

Mikey P

Administrator
No.

One guy cleans the adges, steps and cleaner areas the wand.

I suppose if the right commercial job, a school for instance, came along we would run both REs .

Our VATs would handle them burn just fine.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
A little out of my depth here. So first up I'd like to acknowledge that I am still very inexperienced and have NEVER - NEVER used a rotary extractor.

i use the smallest, slowest, weakest, cheapest, lightest, underpowered extractor of ANYBODY here. Of this I am beyond confident. Two years ago when I got started I was sitting in my longe room when I got a Facebook message. "Hey dude, can you come clean my carpets"?

just what I need a booking.

and here it is......

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

The customer uses the home to breed lizards and snakes. As a consequence there are HUGE quantities of sand, plant litter, gravel, shell grit and dried animal droppings. The place - STANK......

I am beyond nervous at this point, looking certain failure in the face because my - friends - tsk tsk, on another forum have said that really dirty carpets need truck mounts, and not just truck mounts, but mounts with rotaries. I have a walk behind and a vacuum cleaner that can scrub in some pre-spray...... I was BONED...... or so I thought......

So the customer turns his split system air conditioner on (it's mid summer and a 46 degree Celsius day) and leaves. Carly and I are just looking at this mess and I wanted to cry - in all honesty I really did. I thought..... "What have I done"? "This is beyond us" "How can I possibly attack this"?

So after a few minutes I get a plan together.

"Carly, this carpet is full of sand and dry soil, it will only clean up if we can remove it. Most of this job is vacuuming, let's not touch it with any water until we have removed all we feasibly can".

And so we vacuumed for 90 minutes and she changed the bag twice. Each time the bag is heaving with shit....... This image gives you an idea of the carpets appearance change with - JUST VACUUMING - we've completed the main floor area and are now chasing the heavy embedded soil out of the edges with a nylon brush and the Kirby in hose canister mode. No water has yet touched the carpet.

IMG_1789.jpg

After the edges were done I filled up a jug with - SUPER - juice. HOT water, Scots Tuff PowerMax at 20:1 (recommended is 32:1) boosted with oxygen, boosted with citrus, boosted with odour counteractant. I put this in the dry foam shampooer of my vacuum cleaner and foamed and scrubbed it into the carpet and let it sit there for 20 minutes........

Then we rinsed it with this.....

IMG_1907_zps905e99d7.jpg

And it turned into this......

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

And here's my kid looking smug as shit becuas mum and dad have just pulled this living room out of their arse. I will - NEVER - forget what she said to me.

IMG_1798.jpg

"Dad you smashed that out of the park I really think you're ace at this dad".

Cholked........

Customer came back his girlfriend comes in and she literally starts crying...... Was the oddest experience ever.....

So what is my point......?

i had zero resources and managed to turn this thing into great looking carpet. It took me 4.5 hours and accordingly just. Small room and a hallway cost my customer $450 which he paid in cash with a bonus on the spot. I'd respectfully - cautiously - and with my limited knowledge and experience declared in advance - venture the following based on my experience.

you do not - NEED - a rotary. Believe me I my business has only what it - NEEDS - with which to get by day to day. So from this perspective I feel somewhat qualified to comment on needs vs wants.

A business needs:

Insurance
Phone
Receipt book
Pen
Towels
Chems
Test kit
Vehicle
Extractor
Cords
Staff

Everything else is cake....... Cake is great........ But it's cake.

Grant

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom