Thank you for approving me.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
about 100,000 in population easy drove.

i only need on 200 dollors per day 5 day per week. that is an easy 52000 per year.

Sorry Kirk, your business, with the overhead will eat that up like a fat man on a doughnut. Fuel,insurance, chemicals, maintenance, business licences, business insurance, the surprise breakdowns, and so on add up to a lot of dollars fast. I'm a one man band 50% of the time, running a porty and I have to - EVERY SINGLE MONTH- put $2800 in my bank account to cover my expenses - before I pay my helper's wages:hopeless:. 52k wouldn't leave a lot for me to draw a decent wage. Don't try to be a cheap or budget cleaner unless you want to work for the feeling of frustration. Charge what you need to cover your expenses and turn a fair profit. Not every day will be riding down streets paved with gold, but there's some days when you can be a smiling man. Today I did some offices and chairs- $1465 for 11 hours, but that's an exception and not the rule.Most days range between 4 to 7 hundred for anywhere between 5 to 10 hours from leaving the house to pulling in the driveway. Everyone has slow periods when you're glad you built a financial cushion so it's just a bump in the road and not a teeth gnashing experience.
Now, I'm not saying it can't be done. I had another business going with 4 crews and myself working steadily. The stress got to be too much, I had some personal health issues and ended up selling it off, from the customer list to the equipment. Started a car detailing business and lost money by the buckets full for 3 years. I then took a year off to finish my high school (I only had a grade 7) , graduated with a 4.0 grade average and was offered mature student scholarships. I took damn near my last $5000 out of the bank to buy a high end porty and started all over again, but my intention was to just clean part time to cover school costs. Life;s funny that way - I got drawn right back into the stew. I did have a bit of background knowledge, but it was bare bones for the first few years. I did some subcontracting, knocked on doors and did what had to be done, whether I liked it or not. I was lucky my wife had a good job. Now I'm doing well, but in a different way than before. It isn't easy, but if you have a strong sense of determination and an excellent work ethic, you might pull it off. Good luck and I hope you do well.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yep, only takes $2k to get started in this wonderful business but $10k a month to stay in business.
Kinda weird huh.

Reactions: Russ T.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I appreciate Willy's candor. I read it twice, which says a lot. I wonder how many cleaners would be around if they didn't have a wife with a job, or a sugar daddy in the family.

I only have one issue with Willy's post.

There is no such thing as a "high end portable".

Reactions: Russ T.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'd emphasize the importance of running your business lean.

One may get the notion that you need all the latest tools and inventions, without which one would not be able to do a good job.
- Not true. A good wand, a decent machine and persistence + elbow grease goes a long way.
No need for expensive answering service, software & mailing service etc. Not when you start.

Spend your money where it counts the most:
  • Marketing.
  • Educating yourself.
  • Marketing.
  • Decent equipment.
  • Marketing.
  • Creating a perception of, as well as real, value of the service you provide.
Did I mention marketing?

Name
Marcus
Go talk to 2-3 carpet cleaners in your area who have started their business.
I bought a guys carpet CLeaning business without his equipment for 1000$,just his customer list and commercial accts. this put me 2-3 years ahead of building the accounts.
There is usually some startup guy who didn't make it and letting his clients go.
Also be willing to do any job to start off apts. hotels resturants. And rentals.
I also did water damage for the first 3-4 years till my clientele came thru and subcontracted for a restoration co
It will take 2-3 years to build up homes.
Cap

Reactions: A.J. and Mikey P

Kirk Nelson

Name
Kirk
AS OF YESTERDAY I BECAME A VAN MOUNT CLEANER. DROVE OUT WITH MY VAN. THE GUY TOOK MY 4000 CASH OFFER NO PAYMENTS 427 HYDOMASTER. WE INSTALLED IT YESERDAY AND THIS AM. HAD TO LISTNE TO MY PACKERS LOSE ON MY DRIVE HOME. BUT I THINK IT IS WORTH IT. WITH A BABY ON THE WAY AND A WEDDING NEXT MONTH I NEED TO MAN UP AND SUPPORT MY GROWING FAMLY.

I DONT LIVE INA BIG TOWN, MY RENT IS 475 PER MONTH, I HAVE NO DEBT.

I HAVE NEVER LISTENED TO NO SAYERS. I WONDER IF SOME OF YOU MIGHT BE IN MY AREA AND AFFRID OF A NEW CLEANER

I HAVE 2 ROOMS AND A HALL TO POP MY VAN MOUT CHERRY TOMOROW. I THINK IT IS WOOL, LOOPED CARPET WITHA DESIGN. SO I WILL KEEP MY TEMP UNDER 160 AND NOT USE CHEMICIALS.

GOT THAT JOB FROM A TEAR OF POSTER AT THE STORE BULLINTENING BORED.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
BUT I THINK IT IS WORTH IT. WITH A BABY ON THE WAY AND A WEDDING NEXT MONTH I NEED TO MAN UP AND SUPPORT MY GROWING FAMLY. To do this- is about as stupid as it can get...

I DONT LIVE INA BIG TOWN, MY RENT IS 475 PER MONTH, I HAVE NO DEBT. Small town = small business= small money

I HAVE NEVER LISTENED TO NO SAYERS. I WONDER IF SOME OF YOU MIGHT BE IN MY AREA AND AFFRID OF A NEW CLEANER I think with your statement just below this about thinking its wool and you not using chemicals- no none of us would be afraid of your "competition" :lol: :lol:

I HAVE 2 ROOMS AND A HALL TO POP MY VAN MOUT CHERRY TOMOROW. I THINK IT IS WOOL, LOOPED CARPET WITHA DESIGN. SO I WILL KEEP MY TEMP UNDER 160 AND NOT USE CHEMICIALS. See above...

GOT THAT JOB FROM A TEAR OF POSTER AT THE STORE BULLINTENING BORED. Is your middle name darrenlumpkin or peterhewel by chance? It sure sounds like it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T. and hogjowl

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I dont know, maybe english isnt his primary language. Would explain spelling.
A guy near me bought a brand new machine and van with zero knowledge or jobs. So i know guys do this stuff constantly.
Can the 427 issues be fixed so it runs and stays running? Should have listened to Justin if he's legit.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Moses Lake has a population of around 21,000 and is the largest (!) city in Grant county. A quick Google search shows at least 5 other cleaners in Moses Lake, including Servicemaster. If the OP is on the up and up he has a pretty tough hill to climb, not to mention learning how to actually clean carpet.....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
That's a hell of a first job (wool) to take on having never pushed a wand or used the truck mount.

Could be an expensive job if you end up having to replace that rug. Do you have your liability insurance in place yet?

At least he has the right attitude with not listening to nay-sayers. Gotta have tough skin to stick it out and make it. But I don't think those of us here are saying he CAN'T do it. Just that it's not as easy or the quick money he thinks its going to be.

Personally, with a baby on the way, I'd want steady pay and benefits....

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I've been in small towns most of my life.

Can say without doubt.....

Good news and a good reputation get around fast....

Bad news and a terrible reputation gets around even faster.....

Kind of like a wildfire.

Taking on a wool carpet for your first job I am guessing it might be a wool area rug....(might not bite....but could)

If it is wall to wall....could bite....but maybe not....either way.....It could cost you a lot for your first time out.

If there is anyone in your area (and in my case an area could be within 250 miles) I would do whatever I could to try and meet them and see if you could tag along as long as you and them have time so you can learn a little bit more of the trade.

Even if there is a distributor that holds a carpet cleaning class, or even just hook up with them for guidance....

I don't think there is anyone here wishing bad luck for you....actually quite the contrary, but experience tells all of us, there is more to the business than just owning the equipment....

Hope you can stay around and join in conversations, take what you can from all the knowledge here and become part of the group.

It just takes time in this industry and again, there is a bit more to it than people tend to think.

Wishing you the best and please feel free to ask for assistance as you need.

We all started at the bottom of the heap and some days, we are still trying to climb out :)

Kirk Nelson

Name
Kirk
Gots a new key pad. Cleaned my homes carpets this afternoon. Machine worker perfectly. held 210 did all 3 bedrooms. hall living room and a cheap wal mart rug.
this thing sucks harder than anything, i can tell it sucks harder than the guy that cummed and cleaned my moms carpets

we will see how long it takes to dries.
i used the chemicials todd came me. prochem in the tanl and ultra in the pump uo.

moses lake is small but lots of nice lake homes, pluse near by is soap lake ephrata, other small town and with gas now being cheap i can go to the tri cities and other locations nere me.

even vacation homes around.

Francisca is going to make me a flyyer i wil pass out fo rmore work, put on cars at walmart and home depot and lowes.
my brother has page maker and will make me a sight. he trucks two so mite not have it published till spring.

but you dont live here. 30,000 a year is big money.

trucking and bingig away for days is not a famly life. last year i was gone 200 days cleared 29000 afer fines.

anything over that to watch my boy gorw up is a plus.

i'm runninmg mid gas, machine started right up and got hot. know ping, or skip. so i think mid is ok.

my van is a e150, should i get air bags/
it snak a lot when we fork lifted the machin ein.

me van fit in garage. attached it will be 35 tonigh. should i keep the house door open. the guy tol me things can froze.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Gots a new key pad. Cleaned my homes carpets this afternoon. Machine worker perfectly. held 210 did all 3 bedrooms. hall living room and a cheap wal mart rug.
this thing sucks harder than anything, i can tell it sucks harder than the guy that cummed and cleaned my moms carpets

we will see how long it takes to dries.
i used the chemicials todd came me. prochem in the tanl and ultra in the pump uo.

moses lake is small but lots of nice lake homes, pluse near by is soap lake ephrata, other small town and with gas now being cheap i can go to the tri cities and other locations nere me.

even vacation homes around.

Francisca is going to make me a flyyer i wil pass out fo rmore work, put on cars at walmart and home depot and lowes.
my brother has page maker and will make me a sight. he trucks two so mite not have it published till spring.

but you dont live here. 30,000 a year is big money.

trucking and bingig away for days is not a famly life. last year i was gone 200 days cleared 29000 afer fines.

anything over that to watch my boy gorw up is a plus.

i'm runninmg mid gas, machine started right up and got hot. know ping, or skip. so i think mid is ok.

my van is a e150, should i get air bags/
it snak a lot when we fork lifted the machin ein.

me van fit in garage. attached it will be 35 tonigh. should i keep the house door open. the guy tol me things can froze.

Great to hear things went well :)

Sure wish you the best and really understand.

Keep checking in if you would and we look forward to hearing about the great things taking place for you :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom