Tom King's new location..

Name
Danny Strickland
My role has changed slightly over the last year (been cleaning for 5 years this summer). I'm still on the truck 2 or 3 days a week. The rest of my time is spent on rug cleaning production and making sure our technicians have what they need in those emergency situations (van problems, equipment issues, picking up last minute jobs, etc.).

I have spotting towels older than 5 yrs!!!!! :icon_rolleyes:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
But one tends to deliver a better product, the merchant.

Even Marty

That is such BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hundreds of "merchants" go out of business every year.

The average business does not last more than 3 years. If you make it 5 your lucky, 10 is practically a miracle.

The idea that an independent brand with one employee is a higher quality. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The illustration that a independent restaurant is better than a chain is crazy.

Your talking a guy with a Taco Stand Right or a guy with a Hot Dog Cart correct, when you say Restaurant .

That is a one person restaurant just like a O/O.

Any fine restaurant in our city may have 1 owner/chef but it has many employees some of the best restaurants can have 50-100 employees.

Think about it you have a head chef, sous chef, line cook, prep cook, kitchen manager, servers, hostess, Sommelier, Bartenders, book keeper etc.

That sounds like a multi Truck company to me. Systems with lots people, and you still get awards & quality. Imagine that. Even a small restaurant has 10-15 employees that's my size.

You guys need to stop wearing your feelings on your sleeve. Every time I have heard this conversation its that same BS talk.

No multi Trucker thinks less of you because you want to operate out of your garage or storage shed. More power to you!

But the idea that you are some how giving a better product by being small is crazy. If that where the case we wouldn't have the NASDAQ.

Great be a single truck with a single owner.

Now join the conversation HOW DO WE MAKE OUR BUSINESS BETTER EACH AND EVERY DAY? Now that is something everyone on this board has in common. That's what this conversation was about from the start.

You guys go do what you want but don't make it about quality of product make it about quality of life.

O/O with a well developed business have a better quality of life. Period.

Multi Trucker's with the proper systems and people have more security. That's your difference.

We all still need to market, grow, manage and maintain our business.

Peace Out.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It's really amazing Brian, how truly experienced your crew is.

I'd love to find ONE guy that would stay with me and commit to the direction we are headed for the next 10-20 years.

You must be treating them right.

hogjowl

Idiot™
One of the conversations I had with Ken (I liked him enough to actually talk to him on the phone, unlike most of you LOOZERS) he told me his crew chiefs made enough to buy a house and have insurance. A living wage, in other words.

That's how you keep good people.

Abraham Maslow knew what he was talking about.

Brian H

Name
Brian H

I'd love to find ONE guy that would stay with me and commit to the direction we are headed for the next 10-20 years.

Russ,

Like Marty said, do you pay a living wage?

With insurance?

Do you have systems in place so they know what to expect?

Do they have "rights"?

Do they have growth opportunities?

Do they have the opportunity for time off?

Lots of questions only you can answer...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom

You must be treating them right.
Russ your constant beating the drum that a O/O is better is how you are thinking.

Employees can smell and see that they know you do not trust them.

That's how you keep GOOD PEOPLE. You trust them!!!!!!!

I had a guy call me today for permission on something. I thanked him for the call. Said "Why are you calling me I trust you". Do what you need to do. I will see you tomorrow.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The illustration that a independent restaurant is better than a chain is crazy.

Your talking a guy with a Taco Stand Right or a guy with a Hot Dog Cart correct, when you say Restaurant .

That is a one person restaurant just like a O/O.
I thought Ofer's analogy about restaurants was spot on. You can have two identical restaurants, one a chain like Dennys with an out of state owner, and one run by the owner who is there, just like you can have two identical carpet cleaning trucks with crew, one from a large multi-truck firm and one run by the owner who is the on the job.
Hot dog stand:oldrolleyes:. You never fail to amaze me Tom.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't know your business but no matter how smooth you are if the homeowner isn't there its difficult to impress them.

Maybe its just a Midwest thing but homeowners often just greet us, show us what we are doing and leave. They head off to work, volunteer, tennis or golf appointments.

Too busy to stay and listen to some scrawny foreigner tell you how great he is. :winky:

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
th
I thought Ofer's analogy about restaurants was spot on. You can have two identical restaurants, one a chain like Dennys with an out of state owner, and one run by the owner who is there, just like you can have two identical carpet cleaning trucks with crew, one from a large multi-truck firm and one run by the owner who is the on the job.
Hot dog stand:oldrolleyes:. You never fail to amaze me Tom.

So you get to adjust your employee head count for the illustration but I don't. Interesting

Apples to apples a O/O in size and ability to manage others is just like a Taco Stand or Hot dog cart. Not equal in complexity of operation just size.

Wrong that Denny's manger is making a piece of the take. Huge incentive to bring top level service. He still has to manage lots of people.
Its not the restaurant chain in that situation its the manger.

I never sold when we had one truck I would be on all jobs.

So what happen how did we grow? I was never on the truck so with your logic we sucked from the get go. Never had a chance. Second tier for life. Quality service be damned!

We priced in the upper quartile of the market. Did all the small stuff, corned guards booties, scrubbing as needed. Stayed away from all the coupon books and packets. Never been in one.

We should have never made it. We did it with the first truck and an employee, then the second, third, fourth. All in a mature market with 350 other choices.

We are some lucky guys. No one in the city has figured out we are complete hacks, back up player guys who should sit on the bench.

Why because we weed out those that don't care and every day challenge a group of people that we eat what we kill. We have no one to lean on but ourselves. We have to bring the best service to secure our future. Those last two statements sound like we are building ownership.

Again in your need to fly the O/O is best flag you missed the point of the conversation.

Not "HOW ARE WE ALL BUILDING OUR BUSSINESS"?

Are we going to see you in Indy? You don't have like it just try it!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I would love to go to Indy, Tom, but I have jobs booked on that weekend and don't think it's in the cards.
I think it's fantastic you are conducting this business building seminar with fellow MBers. It should be very beneficial to all involved. Your enthusiasm for this business is contagious.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I would love to go to Indy, Tom, but I have jobs booked on that weekend and don't think it's in the cards.
I think it's fantastic you are conducting this business building seminar with fellow MBers. It should be very beneficial to all involved. Your enthusiasm for this business is contagious.
Sure would be nice to have an employee. Just saying.
If things change come on down.

Reactions: Mikey P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That is such BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom, to borrow your analogy, that's such BS!!!!!

Here's an example: Today I goofed. You know- overworked O/O, not enough systems in place, ADD etc., and showed up at a client that I was scheduled for Sep 1st. What happened was that we discussed two potential dates, she chose one and I forgot to mark off the other one.

Two hours to kill. Great! Used to annoy me, now I love those unplanned accidental breaks.

So, I went to Kate's Kitchen. It's a restaurant in S.F. A small breakfast place, just what I love.
Years ago, it was started by a woman that evidently was a very talented cook. She named it after her daughter. The food was just incredible. A simple breakfast joint with a southern touch that was just magic. Later they sold (got tired of the restaurant business) and moved on.

Someone (let say- a less talented Greg Cole of sorts) bought it. They kept the exact same menu, the same tables, dishes and decor, even the goofy chair painting on the wall. In other words, the same "formula".

How's the food? Good enough.

Unfortunately, not even close to what it was. Damn, it's just eggs, gravy and coffee, nothing special. Right?
Not even close.

Can you relate?

P.S. Your point about a restaurant being a team effort and putting in a good team is correct. Yet, I think you can also see my point.

Greg, is it mental masturbation or just plain humping?

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Maybe it's a miscommunication but this is how it sounds to me.

Let's imagine Tom is skilled enough at what he does to keep guys around like Hagopian has proven to be able to do.

Could he honestly look at a guy of 10-20 years and millions in revenue and say "You're no better at what you do every day, than when you started. You're experience means very little. You're not still learning and improving. You are easily replaced. Anybody can clean like you, even the new guy we just hired"?

I really think more of Tom than this so I suspect a miscommunication somewhere along the way. I could tell the value he placed on his son and the experience he has when I watched the big internet radio show...on TV!

Tom seems like he's doing a GREAT job at growing his business .

It's GOOD that he's not obsessing over blower size, vac hose diameter, cuffs, which prespray, what tool, Zipper, agitate, rotary extract, prevaccuum, which upholstery tool, tile spinner, CRB, 175...plastic wand????

His time is better spent focusing on what he's good at...sales and marketing. That's not a dig Tom, so relax. Sales and marketing are ESENTIAL to any successful biz.

It might benefit Tom though, to employ someone who DOES consider all of these things carefully and not underestimate a guy like this's value to HIS bottom line.

Its often an O/O that falls into that spot, who is relentlessly persuing the things that make him a great cleaner. It's not ALWAYS the case but I just don't see a whole lot of employees of any kind very active on these forums or at trade shows or on the phone with someone who is helping him to be better. These are guys with skin in the game and EXPERIENCE to match.

It looks like Tom IS making great strides to be better by having Brian and Mike and whoever else he will listen to, advise him on the production end.

I am hopefully making strides by listening to him and others to help me GROW something of great value.

I'm not mad Tom, I hope you're not mad either.

I operate with the strong belief that the EXPERIENCE I have is very valuable. So do many of the guys here.

I'm vulnerable now and understand it well. I do want good help and KNOW it exists.

Thank you for the time and effort you are putting into helping me and others see the BIG picture.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Tom, to borrow your analogy, that's such BS!!!!!

Greg, is it mental masturbation or just plain humping?
Considering the fact you use a dog as your icon- it appears you do alot of leg humping? lol arguing the difference between an O&O and a multi truck operation is indeed Mental masturbation. it's all relative and subjective and neither side is winable. THUS- mental masturbation..........

Reactions: Chris A

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Maybe it's a miscommunication but this is how it sounds to me.

Let's imagine Tom is skilled enough at what he does to keep guys around like Hagopian has proven to be able to do.

Could he honestly look at a guy of 10-20 years and millions in revenue and say "You're no better at what you do every day, than when you started. You're experience means very little. You're not still learning and improving. You are easily replaced. Anybody can clean like you, even the new guy we just hired"?

I really think more of Tom than this so I suspect a miscommunication somewhere along the way. I could tell the value he placed on his son and the experience he has when I watched the big internet radio show...on TV!

Tom seems like he's doing a GREAT job at growing his business .

It's GOOD that he's not obsessing over blower size, vac hose diameter, cuffs, which prespray, what tool, Zipper, agitate, rotary extract, prevaccuum, which upholstery tool, tile spinner, CRB, 175...plastic wand????

His time is better spent focusing on what he's good at...sales and marketing. That's not a dig Tom, so relax. Sales and marketing are ESENTIAL to any successful biz.

It might benefit Tom though, to employ someone who DOES consider all of these things carefully and not underestimate a guy like this's value to HIS bottom line.

Its often an O/O that falls into that spot, who is relentlessly persuing the things that make him a great cleaner. It's not ALWAYS the case but I just don't see a whole lot of employees of any kind very active on these forums or at trade shows or on the phone with someone who is helping him to be better. These are guys with skin in the game and EXPERIENCE to match.

It looks like Tom IS making great strides to be better by having Brian and Mike and whoever else he will listen to, advise him on the production end.

I am hopefully making strides by listening to him and others to help me GROW something of great value.

I'm not mad Tom, I hope you're not mad either.

I operate with the strong belief that the EXPERIENCE I have is very valuable. So do many of the guys here.

I'm vulnerable now and understand it well. I do want good help and KNOW it exists.

Thank you for the time and effort you are putting into helping me and others see the BIG picture.
Well said!
The way i see it: The main reason all these attacks are being lobbied against Tom is because of the fragile egos of those attacking. Be a man and pat the guy on the back and say "well done"........
When i met Tom a couple years back: I took Tom to be very smart, humble, and driven. Clearly, I was accurate considering the level of success he has achieved in just a couple years......
Good Job!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I believe the success of a company is about the LEADERSHIP that is in place. That can be a big company or a O/O. Some O/Os can't even lead themselves!

Before I got involved in this industry, I worked in corporate childcare. I was in the education and training/quality control. As a large national chain, there were centers we had that were O/O that we bought out. We acquired smaller chains. This meant that sometimes we had centers on opposite corners of the same intersection or just a few miles from each other. Part of my job was to go evaluate the centers, especially the ones that were having trouble or were on provisional status with the DPW and needed an action plan to stay open.

Same company, same policies, procedures and manuals, sometimes even the same building/floor plan, same "district manager" overseeing. We could have one model center and one that was struggling to stay a float. The difference....the LEADERSHIP at the center. The both had the same tools and resources at their disposal. The both serviced the same exact market. The good centers had strong leaders (Not great teachers that got promoted to the Center Director cause they were good teachers...which happened often. Good classroom teachers often didn't have the skill set to be a leader...just like promoting a tech to the ops manager of your company).

The good leaders/center directors knew how to get rid of the dead weight. They could effectively identify the talents of their team and put the right people in the right spots. They could delegate. They had business sense and weren't just good at providing exceptional care to children and got promoted for doing so (I.E. not just a great carpet cleaner that get's promoted for being good at that). They knew how to hire correctly to have a strong team. They knew how to communicate effectively to their clients/families they served. The had waiting lists of families that wanted their kids in that center....when the "sister" center across the street that was flailing had openings and could take kids right away.

Some of the leaders were "former" o/o that were bought out. Other's were employees of the big corporation. What they had in common for a successful center, was they knew how to do the things I said above.

Just my thoughts....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The way i see it: The main reason all these attacks are being lobbied against Tom is because of the fragile egos of those attacking.
Exactly what attacks were lobbied at Tom?

You seem to confuse yourself with him. I don't know you personally, Greg, but the previous attacks on you, if I got it right, were based on what people here perceived as your unethical business practices. I never engaged and have no idea if they were true or not.

On the other hand, everybody that I know here (me included) has nothing but respect and appreciation towards Tom.

So, no more ego masturbation for you Greg. You're getting Richard all too excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom