Why you cant put a truckmount in the new Ford Transit.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Had a blowout in my first van going down the highway at 70 and the van flipped . Got into the median and the flat tires rim that blew, stuck into some mud and flipped my van 3 times.

FredC

Village Idiot
Just to update this thread. I emailed Prochem asking if what was stated here was true and that a truckmount could not be installed in a Ford Transit.

Timothy DuPont, National Service & Training Manager, responded that truckmounts could in fact be installed in a Ford Transit but that a subframe would need to be made by the installing dealer. He also included a link to the Ford Body and Equipment mounting guide here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2015/2015_Transit_BEMM_v1-0.pdf

along with the "no drill" diagrams found on page 133 and 135 of the above pdf

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Had a blowout in my first van going down the highway at 70 and the van flipped . Got into the median and the flat tires rim that blew, stuck into some mud and flipped my van 3 times.

Holy crap! Did the tm stay in it's spot? If so, that's pretty amazing.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Holy crap! Did the tm stay in it's spot? If so, that's pretty amazing.

Yes, the dynachem unit from Cobb carpet supply didn't budge even a millimeter, in fact I sold the van to another company, that changed out the walls and roof on the van and it is still running everyday for that company.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Anybody got any actual dealer estimates to add a Transit "subframe" ???

We looked at the 180 pages of Ford documents and determined that there would substantial additional expense,

to comply with all of their requirements.

Larry

FredC

Village Idiot
What is substantial Larry?
Which requirements did you find most difficult to comply with?
Any pics of your subframe design that would have incurred the substantial expense?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Fred;

The "no drill" diagrams above the large area above the fuel tank . . .

and the limited holes usable in the existing frame members.

That is what makes a subframe usually required to mount a slide-in TM.

Of course the "PTO" manufacturers have an even larger engineering hill to climb .

I would like to hear from anybody who has gotten a quote for a PTO for this 2015 Van . . .

Larry

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Larry, you try to make this a big deal again and bring up the PTO issue.

How about looking at it this way: all of you truckmount manufacturers will just have to build your truckmounts with a specific subframe already included under the unit.
You ask the buyer what van will it be installed in and you sell the truckmount with that subframe that is applicable to that van.

If you guys can't make this work in a simple way, what are you going to do? Stop making units when all these 1970's style vans are gone?
After a while all the old school vans will be gone and truckmount manufacturers will only be able to sell to customers with the new style vans. Or I guess you can just say: my truckmounts can only be installed in old crappy vans or boxtrucks.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Current vans also have "no drill" areas in their service bulletins.

An example is Dodge vans in the 34" from the back door (fuel tank). I could imagine a TX installer deflating the spare tire in a similar fashion.

There will be a slew of truckmounts mounted in Transits, and others. There will be CDS and PTO unit installed in them as well.

Perhaps not in Texas...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

FredC

Village Idiot
Is *** code for tent setup duty? I heard Lockhart sucks at that?.. Probably due to his long legs

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Current vans also have "no drill" areas in their service bulletins.
I have never seen a no drill diagram covering this much cargo area:
Also any steel box subframe will add $600-$1000 to the installation cost,
and take away capacity under the TM.
transitdrill.jpg

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Rather than a subframe, wouldn't changing the units frame to incorporate mounting make sense since unibody seems to be the future???

That's basically what I suggested but worded it differently. I meant subframe included- as in, part of the truckmount. Manufacturers basically would need to just simply redesign the bottom of the tm frame to accomodate different van's drill or no drill zones. There are only a few of these vans and once they measured up each one, it should be easy from then on to build truckmounts.

They will be sold as "prochem apex transit" or "prochem apex promaster" or "prochem apex sprinter"....you get the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Willy I bought a porty!!!

I'm so ashamed of myself I keep showering trying to clean myself of it.

US Products Solus psst don't tell anyone! :winky:

Have a ball with the circuitry in the guts.........I'm gonna start a new thread about your new porty!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
That's basically what I suggested but worded it differently. I meant subframe included- as in, part of the truckmount. Manufacturers basically would need to just simply redesign the bottom of the tm frame to accomodate different van's drill or no drill zones. There are only a few of these vans and once they measured up each one, it should be easy from then on to build truckmounts.

They will be sold as "prochem apex transit" or "prochem apex promaster" or "prochem apex sprinter"....you get the point.

I am sure that some of the companies are going to wait for other companies to do research and development, so they don't have to front that cost.

Let's see who does it first and does it well.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Michael;

Since our TM's have a flat mounting bottom across the entire van . . .

the weight distribution will be ideal.

The difficulty will be attaching to the few mounting holes in the frame.

In our case, it will probably be steel plates of minimum height to van mounting holes.

It will limit severely the flexibility to position the TM where the customer desires.

Larry

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
If I remember correctly, Duane installed a TM into a transit but had to reinforce before doing so. Now what that entailed? No clue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom