Why you cant put a truckmount in the new Ford Transit.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Just saw a Ford Transit commercial on TV . . .

It actually showed a carpet cleaner using the van . . .

and another shot with the cargo area completely full of shelving . . .

Ironic how little accommodation they make for those items !

Larry

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
image.jpg

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Look...this thread is about the Transit.

Not the Transit Connect. Very different. That Transit Connect setup was at Connections like 4 years ago already...

Get it straight people. Even dealership people give me this "no you can't install, it's too small blah blah..."

And I just go: if I wanted to talk about the Transit Connect, I would say that but I only said Transit.

Last edited:

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
What does the future hold with this solution? Will ford change the design? If so what will the resale of the truckmount be with the kit?
I would have to wait and see.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ford has long term plans. Last e series van ran 22 years. 16 years the previous platform.

Transit will be around a long time.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Ford has long term plans. Last e series van ran 22 years. 16 years the previous platform.

Transit will be around a long time.

I agree the transi will be around a long time but will the need for a special platform be needed or will ford change the no drill flooring.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
For any given model/series, major components and locations (fuel tank, etc.) rarely change. I don't expect the restrictions will change.

Name
Lee Stockwell
People who speak of a "no drill" floor, as if it meant "no drilling anywhere" are mistaken.

Ford simply has a dictate that should be easy to follow. Drill where allowed and you won't put holes in your fuel tank, fuel pump, wiring harnesses, brake lines and the like. It's a courtesy for our benefit as well that they mapped it out for us.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Lee is right, but there is I think also "no drilling" taken more seriously for structural integrity because of the uni body construction.

In my opinion this whole ordeal is a bit overhyped. Just slap a simple base under the tm frame and secure it where it's allowed. After that, secure the tm to that base...done.

Not much engineering needs to be done for that.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I was in jon don 2weeks ago they had a ford in the bay. They had taped out the no drill zones. Up behind the seats there is hardly any place to secure a platform. They are trying to solve this problem.

I really do not see the hype on these trucks more money and a ton of lost space over the truck mount.

I asked about mounting reels on the roof. Those are also no drill zones.

FredC

Village Idiot
Why would they be so worried about the floor. Seems people are taking "no drill" zones way to seriously. All vehicles have "no drill zones". With the exception of the rail extensions which are a different type of steel the floor "no drill zones" are not for structural reasons...........they are detailed to keep you from drilling into the fooken gas tank, electrical, etc.

Edit: Looks like several others mentioned this (Dan, Lee) ....should have read more post

Last edited:

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Somebody needs to design a sub-mount fresh water tank, say around 150 gallons for these vans and then have multiple mounting points on the top to mount any slide in that you desire. That way any manufacturer can install their unit on top and take advantage of the high roof hight of these vans.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I like this idea the best because it makes the van worth more if you trade it in later for a new one.

A simple metal frame can be constructed and welded up by a novice, Using not only the seat bolts, but the factory supplied anchor bolts.

IMO I like this idea for any van, no climbing undder the van, and a more secure install. + no holes all over the place.

pure_zps7d05016c.jpg

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom