BlueLine Thermalwave2 summer/fall project

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’m taking it to the forklift later this week to move it. Rubber mats underneath are getting pulled up.

The waste tank was behind it but I think I’m gonna move it to the left side of the machine for better mounting space and ease of access to the rear and right side of the machine.

The van needs a power steering fluid reservoir, a tuneup, and a new rear door

As for the tm, the water pump needs tlc, and the 185f thermal relief valve needs replaced. 🤞. Once I get it completed, we’ll see what other issues it might have

17CE22B9-854E-4ABB-9ECE-28040E23E8EC.jpeg 2EFED58C-14C5-482E-A811-4DAA6ACBD6C8.jpeg 24D2C782-DA0F-424D-8B84-DA5A76476091.jpeg 7A5382E7-9E74-4E44-BEBC-232DC07DCCCC.jpeg 0B2116DF-0BE8-49D1-9293-D416B87B3896.jpeg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You just fixed the machine and got it okay.. You know the machine inside and out, then you might jump ship.. :clap:

You think JonDon is expensive, wait till you need to order something from Butler.. :winky:
I'm kinda burned out on slide ins. I look at all the comments over the years on problems from our machines and I see that PTO units have far fewer problems over slide ins. The only difference I can tell is the area is cooler since the engine is under the hood, and not over all the components of the Truckmount.

I've never ran a PTO, so I'm just assuming.

When I get done with this, it'll be a good machine, but I'm needing to sell it to pay my cc debt off that was needed to fix it.

My Everest will be my next spare tm when I buy the box/butler.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
When i built frankinstien, i completely mocked it up wired it and fit everything then disassembled it and sent the frame out for powdercoat, this picture is the entire machine less the driveshaft in a pile. There's not much their even less that'll break or need serviced

20190804_153148.jpg 20190815_140229.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
My two Cleanco’s have taught me that they are far less troublesome if, and only IF, they are properly installed AND maintained.
My first Cleanco has been a headache from the beginning and every time I’ve had TCS “fix” it, it’s just got worse. I’ve just about worked my way through all the issues myself. I could have saved myself a lot of money and frustration if I’d just dove in and figured it out myself from the beginning. My second unit has been a breeze with few issues.
Much of my problems were not initially related to the unit. They started out as GM problems that led to unit issues later.

Both of my units were installed under the supervision of a Cleanco rep. The dude who did both of them is now the service manager at Cleanco, I’m told. When he installed my first one, I think he was fairly new. The second time he did a better job because he had more experience.

There are very few, if ANY, true professional mechanics in our industry. Nobody seems to REALLY understand all the ins and outs of the units they maintain. If one accidentally passes through one of our suppliers, they tend not to last long. Another industry will head hunt them away with better pay and benefits. If you really think about it, this is true of most industries and people today. Doing a really good job and being a pro is just not looked at like it once was. (Case in point is Mikey and pad cleaning.)

When it comes time for another unit, I’ll either go back to basic meat and potatoes TCS slide in’s or another Cleanco, because I can work on them, or a Butler. The thing that might make me choose not to go with another Cleanco is the GMC van … it’s the weak point. The thing that might make me not choose a meat and potatoes slide in is the constant nagging little things that need fixing (but can be fairly easily fixed) and the propane and exhaust fumes/soot in the van. Plus, I hate having to buy propane every three or four days!

If I go with a Butler, I might STILL get it installed in a GMC van because (I’m told) Butler does a better job managing the heat generated in the engine compartment and I “think” they HAVE to be more reliable at installation. I’d also consider buying one in a box, but I don’t quite know what driving one of those things around all day is like, nor how hard they are to get serviced.

I do know one thing. I can properly park a box truck.

Matt, you might want to second guess yourself before buying a box.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Damon you were right. THere's nothing wrong with the fuel pressure. I've been chasing an imaginary rabbit the whole time
-2 fuel pumps $250
-manifold and sensor $225
-Fuel lines $75
-2fuel filters $30
-ECU $1300
-Labor $1700
All could've been avoided
****!!!!
Look at the bright side. You now have a nice tax write off.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My two Cleanco’s have taught me that they are far less troublesome if, and only IF, they are properly installed AND maintained.
My first Cleanco has been a headache from the beginning and every time I’ve had TCS “fix” it, it’s just got worse. I’ve just about worked my way through all the issues myself. I could have saved myself a lot of money and frustration if I’d just dove in and figured it out myself from the beginning. My second unit has been a breeze with few issues.
Much of my problems were not initially related to the unit. They started out as GM problems that led to unit issues later.

Both of my units were installed under the supervision of a Cleanco rep. The dude who did both of them is now the service manager at Cleanco, I’m told. When he installed my first one, I think he was fairly new. The second time he did a better job because he had more experience.

There are very few, if ANY, true professional mechanics in our industry. Nobody seems to REALLY understand all the ins and outs of the units they maintain. If one accidentally passes through one of our suppliers, they tend not to last long. Another industry will head hunt them away with better pay and benefits. If you really think about it, this is true of most industries and people today. Doing a really good job and being a pro is just not looked at like it once was. (Case in point is Mikey and pad cleaning.)

When it comes time for another unit, I’ll either go back to basic meat and potatoes TCS slide in’s or another Cleanco, because I can work on them, or a Butler. The thing that might make me choose not to go with another Cleanco is the GMC van … it’s the weak point. The thing that might make me not choose a meat and potatoes slide in is the constant nagging little things that need fixing (but can be fairly easily fixed) and the propane and exhaust fumes/soot in the van. Plus, I hate having to buy propane every three or four days!

If I go with a Butler, I might STILL get it installed in a GMC van because (I’m told) Butler does a better job managing the heat generated in the engine compartment and I “think” they HAVE to be more reliable at installation. I’d also consider buying one in a box, but I don’t quite know what driving one of those things around all day is like, nor how hard they are to get serviced.

I’m not reading all that.

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray

I think you're going to find that the only vans nowadays that are compatible with pto's are GMs unless you pop for a vortex.

scotty747

I have both. I like that the CDS is quieter. I like that the slide in can be moved into another van or trailer if the van craps out. I might put the slide in behind the cds and see what dual 46 blowers can do.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

I feel your pain on the frustration

I've heard from some of the local guys here just recently that they had several annoyances with their TCS units involving the heaters where they send work my way

As for the box truck suggestion: I see no problem. I've been driving my box truck every day since 2017 with no headaches, other than normal service maintenance like any other work vehicle.

The reason I'd choose a butler over an aerotech right now, is due to the fact that Butler uses a unleaded engine box truck, and aerotech is diesel. Much lower business cost to maintain with cost of fuel, oil changes, and any service repair. Also...Aerotech's preferred service techs over here is Jondon. I've been let down time and time again by that company

And as for maintaining the heat of the engine, I need to find out which has the least problems, whether it's a box truck or van PTO

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
I think youre going to find cleanco and butler about the same, outside of routine maintenance, its belts, hoses, and driveshafts. Driveshafts being the biggest expense, they last about 2500 hours with proper maintenance i don't know about hydramaster because it has u joints and the drive wouldn't work in my build. Im going strictly on second hand information i compiled while researching the frankinstien build. My understanding is that butler,cleanco, sapphire scientific PTOs all use the same Driveshaft 2 piece 3 bearing shaft the 2 outside bearings are greasable center bearing is sealed , im not sure if you can buy a rebuilt shaft or have to pop for a new one. I tore 1 apart, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem to rebuild but is certainly more involved then the shaft i chose.When i built frankinstien, My design uses a cleanco engine driveshaft mount, but modified it to fit the larger diameter steamgeni driveshaft instead because the steamgeni driveshaft is a 1 piece shaft with sealed bearings on each end. Extremely simple to rebuild but bearings need replacing 1800 - 2000 hours (about once every 3 years) however its only 65.00 to rebuild it if done at the first sign of trouble (vibration)

hogjowl

Idiot™
I feel your pain on the frustration

I've heard from some of the local guys here just recently that they had several annoyances with their TCS units involving the heaters where they send work my way

As for the box truck suggestion: I see no problem. I've been driving my box truck every day since 2017 with no headaches, other than normal service maintenance like any other work vehicle.

The reason I'd choose a butler over an aerotech right now, is due to the fact that Butler uses a unleaded engine box truck, and aerotech is diesel. Much lower business cost to maintain with cost of fuel, oil changes, and any service repair. Also...Aerotech's preferred service techs over here is Jondon. I've been let down time and time again by that company

And as for maintaining the heat of the engine, I need to find out which has the least problems, whether it's a box truck or van PTO
I’m sure that TCS will tell you they’ve noticed a decrease in the quality of their components too. It’s affecting every sector.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I cleaned out the CAT and it’s completely open. The headers don’t glow anymore but I’m noticing this on the video at the 49sec mark

Is that normal?

*update: I noticed those bolts were a bit loose since that's the new donut gasket I installed there. I tightened them down and I'll put another test on it tomorrow

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
grab it see if it shocks you....
Looks like a spark arc
No clue if static could cause it

..L.T.A.
I was wondering that. I noticed it sparked in another spot also close to the o2sensor.

I'll touch it on the next cold start and see if it pops me

Reactions: Donwand

FredC

Village Idiot
looks like you may have an exhaust leak at the flange and the gasses ignited

exhaustl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom